The Student Room Group

What are you NOT looking forward to at university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Realizing I've forgotton 80% of the stuff I did actually need to bring from home! :tongue:
Reply 81
People stealing my milk :mad:
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
I will challenge anyone who rhymes "scone" with "cone" to a duel. :fight: I have a posh accent, or so I'm told, but it's still a s-con.

/pronunciation rant

IT IS pronounces s-con. Why rhyme it with cone? Makes me think of those orange traffic cones which aren't at all attractive.
Reply 83
Being an idiot. I'm not actually that intelligent, I can just memorise things. Mostly quotes. Yes, because that will help me in a pharmacy degree...But yeah, basically not looking forward to being faced with how dimwitted I really am.

The workload. I'm not looking forward to it, but I know it's necessary so I'd better get stuck in.

Fire alarms. From the sound of it, they go off all the bloody time. I hate the sound of them.

Having virtually no money because I don't know how to manage my money very well at all.

Having to eat my own cooking every day. Eugh.

The fact that I'll have to use subterfuge and deception to have a normal student social life, being 17. :lol:

agree with the fire alarms! dreading being woken up at 5am! or it going off when i'm in the shower!
Reply 84
my friends keep telling me about people doing things like setting off the fire alarm at 2am, or covering all their possessions in clingfilm.
other things i'm worried about are finding work hard, not being interested in what i'm doing, getting distracted from working, not being able to afford to see my boyfriend, getting stuff stolen, people who are at uni for the wrong reasons, bad tutors, getting ill... lots!
Original post by flume
agree with the fire alarms! dreading being woken up at 5am! or it going off when i'm in the shower!

I'm just going to suck it up and stride out in my towel. No fire alarm shall rob me of my pride. :biggrin: Just need some huge beach towels and it'll be great. But being woken up at 5am is another kettle of fish...if that happens, massacres will result. I'm not good with mornings. :lol:
Original post by Brownie anyone?
IT IS pronounces s-con. Why rhyme it with cone? Makes me think of those orange traffic cones which aren't at all attractive.

Exactly!! Anything else is wrong. :colonhash: I agree with you completely.
Reply 87
exams

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
* Missing my family (and cat).
* I'm worried about not making friends - I haven't been able to make good friends in the past so university is a fresh start for me. I also suffer from anxiety, so I just hope I can relax and be an approachable person.
* Cooking, washing, etc.
* Whether or not I am going to need a job.
* General security.

Other than that I am really looking forward to it. I just hope I get the grades for my firm before I can worry about those things...
Reply 89
I will challenge anyone who rhymes "scone" with "cone" to a duel. :fight: I have a posh accent, or so I'm told, but it's still a s-con.

/pronunciation rant

Woah, so saying scone-as-in-rhymes-with-cone is considered posh? Everyone I know here in Yorkshire pronounces it that way, and by no means are most of them posh :tongue:
Ouch. Your birthday isn't long before mine, mine's in the middle of the Christmas holidays! :lol:

Whereabouts are you going to uni?

Oh hey! :biggrin:

I'm going to Imperial for Maths and Computer Science.
What about you? I assume you're going for Pharmacy. :biggrin: BTW, I see what you did there in your username. (Aspirin / Aspiring) :tongue:
Original post by juliewho
Woah, so saying scone-as-in-rhymes-with-cone is considered posh? Everyone I know here in Yorkshire pronounces it that way, and by no means are most of them posh :tongue:

Not to me, but generally people ask me if I'm going off to eat "s-cones" and drink tea with the Queen etc because I'm supposed to have a posh accent. People associate it with being posh. Really? My grandparents and two of my aunts live in Yorkshire and they definitely don't say "scone-as-in-rhymes-with-cone", neither do any other people with Yorkshire accents who I've met.
Original post by {Unregistered}
Oh hey! :biggrin:

I'm going to Imperial for Maths and Computer Science.
What about you? I assume you're going for Pharmacy. :biggrin: BTW, I see what you did there in your username. (Aspirin / Aspiring) :tongue:

Nice. :smile: My dad went to Imperial for his Post-Grad. It's a good uni. :biggrin:

Yep, Pharmacy 2012, that's me. Yay! I love it when people get my username. Makes me happy.
Nice. :smile: My dad went to Imperial for his Post-Grad. It's a good uni. :biggrin:

Yep, Pharmacy 2012, that's me. Yay! I love it when people get my username. Makes me happy.

Hehe. Nice.

Good luck to you for uni. :smile:
Original post by {Unregistered}
Hehe. Nice.

Good luck to you for uni. :smile:

Thanks! :biggrin: You too. :smile:
Reply 95
Original post by Tsunami2011
Having to deal with 'lads' and 'unibanter':colonhash:

Most of the 'lads' at my Secondary School won't get into Uni because they're sitting on a D/E/U in all their A-levels. I live in hope.
Reply 96
I'm not looking forward to the possibility of having really horrible or really messy housemates. I don't want to feel unwelcome in my own flat but I definitely don't want to feel like I can enter my own flat for the safety of my health.

I'm not looking forward to the stress. My body really can't handle it and if I start breaking out in rashes or getting 2-3 hours of 'sleep' a night it's going to be FML.
Original post by Miss Trololol
Student Halls flatmates are my biggest concern. I'm sharing with a flat of lassies and I never seem to get on well with other chicks because some of my interests are quite "boyish" I suppose. I'm worried I'll end up being the outcast of the flat. which would make living there really awkward :frown:

Also money.

Don't worry too much about that! I'm into a lot of "boyish" stuff as well but the girl I got on most with in my flat is really girly, just hope that everyone keeps an open mind :smile:
Reply 98
Being an idiot. I'm not actually that intelligent, I can just memorise things. Mostly quotes. Yes, because that will help me in a pharmacy degree...But yeah, basically not looking forward to being faced with how dimwitted I really am.

The workload. I'm not looking forward to it, but I know it's necessary so I'd better get stuck in.

Fire alarms. From the sound of it, they go off all the bloody time. I hate the sound of them.

Having virtually no money because I don't know how to manage my money very well at all.

Having to eat my own cooking every day. Eugh.

The fact that I'll have to use subterfuge and deception to have a normal student social life, being 17. :lol:

Enlighten me on this subterfuge and deceptive methods, for I too shall be 17 when I go to uni this September :smile: Are we talking fake IDs, or just worming our way into bars and clubs? I usually drink inside, which is much cheaper, but you know ...
Original post by asparkyn
Enlighten me on this subterfuge and deceptive methods, for I too shall be 17 when I go to uni this September :smile: Are we talking fake IDs, or just worming our way into bars and clubs? I usually drink inside, which is much cheaper, but you know ...

Not just me then! Hooray! That or borrowing one from a kind and lovely person willing to lend me one. :lol: Not sure if that'll work, in which case it'll be me trying to make myself look more like I'm 25 than 12. And fluttering my eyelashes at people if I want a drink. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending