The Student Room Group

Does Uni matter if you go to a top 20 uni?

yfdgh
(edited 6 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Tbh, unless you go to Oxbridge, once you get experience on your CV, where you get your degree is very much the deciding factor ONLY if you are neck and neck in the interview and even then, they’re pulling at straws.

Once you have your degree, experience is your advantage and so, I would say once you are 5 years out of uni and with enough experience under your belt, that’s all that matters.

That’s why if your course offers you a placement, your university suggests you take it as you have experience and a degree at the same time, as well as making a good impression on a potential future employer.
Well, my previous message applies to my field anyway (lab based healthcare I.e Biomedical Science).
Reply 3
Really doesn’t matter much. The main thing is getting the degree and that the course is accredited by the relevant organisation. The degree also has to be relevant to the industry you are going into (obviously). If it is from a top 20 university then that’s a good bonus, if it’s from Oxbridge then fair enough, even bigger bonus. At the end of the day though, you learn pretty much the same stuff in all of these “top” universities. A maths degree for example in a Russel group university is going to prepare you well for postgraduate study/ research so who really gives a hoot if it’s from UCL or Nottingham or Manchester, etc.
Original post by Scienceisgood
Tbh, unless you go to Oxbridge, once you get experience on your CV, where you get your degree is very much the deciding factor ONLY if you are neck and neck in the interview and even then, they’re pulling at straws.

Once you have your degree, experience is your advantage and so, I would say once you are 5 years out of uni and with enough experience under your belt, that’s all that matters.

That’s why if your course offers you a placement, your university suggests you take it as you have experience and a degree at the same time, as well as making a good impression on a potential future employer.

I agree with that tbh oxbridge does seem to be another league in terms of intensity but yh when I hear people on tsr bang on about how KCL, Warwick or Durham etc is better than Nottingham, Exeter Bristol etc kind of irritates me when likely all their candidates are of a very similar quality
Well, my previous message applies to my field anyway (lab based healthcare I.e Biomedical Science).

Hey @Scienceisgood 👋

For a degree such as applied Biomedical science, the most important thing if you're looking to work in an NHS Lab is to have IBMS accreditation, and a course approved by the HCPC. Doing a placement year to complete your registration portfolio will have a far greater impact on your career than what uni you went to.

If you're able to do this, by the time you graduate you will have had a full year's work experience, have a completed portfolio and you will be a registered Biomedical scientist. If you don't complete the portfolio during your degree but have done an accredited course then you could get a job as a medical lab assistant or trainee Biomedical scientist in a lab but you would still need to do your portfolio while working there and it can be more challenging to do it this way.

Essentially going to a "top uni" isn't necessary for this particular degree as the IBMS accreditation and work experience is more highly regarded. They would be more interested in which hospital you did your training at to be honest.

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Reply 6
Original post by sami1815
My question is, how is someone at UCL better than at Bath or Nottingham if they are doing the same course and have the same A levels grades? How does prestige matter that much when the candidates are virtually the same?

Prestige is in the ego of the beholder. Most employers couldn't care less what the colour of your tie is. All they care about is what you know and what you can do. Of course the universities dine out on this. They want people clamouring over themselves because it allows them to choose the best students, and the best students, simply by being the best get the best grades and that in turn makes the universities look good without them having done any actual teaching whilst the Vice Chancellor baths in your £9.5k+ a year. They can't lose!

So go somewhere which will be good for you. Which teaches the course that interests you. That will support and nurture you. Which will provide opportunity over and above just your degree. Which will allow you to learn much needed soft skills etc etc. You might be surprised to discover most Russel Group universities fair pretty badly on everything I have just listed. Open your mind!

Good luck!
Uni won’t matter for 90% of graduates, top 20 or otherwise.
I don't think so but it depends I think
My question is, how is someone at UCL better than at Bath or Nottingham if they are doing the same course and have the same A levels grades? How does prestige matter that much when the candidates are virtually the same?

Won't matter unless aiming for investment banking or management consulting.
unless you go to Oxbridge

Even Oxbridge isn't going to really "open doors" in that regard I think. The days of Oxbridge being on your CV getting you a job, or even an interview, I think are long gone realistically. What Oxbridge may do is provide better networking opportunities.

But big businesses these days are trying to err on the side of transparency and DEI matters and so Oxbridge nepotism is not a good look in a media cycle, and smaller businesses may prefer that but are often not going to get as much choice in who their applicants are anyway.
Original post by artful_lounger
Won't matter unless aiming for investment banking or management consulting.

Even Oxbridge isn't going to really "open doors" in that regard I think. The days of Oxbridge being on your CV getting you a job, or even an interview, I think are long gone realistically. What Oxbridge may do is provide better networking opportunities.

But big businesses these days are trying to err on the side of transparency and DEI matters and so Oxbridge nepotism is not a good look in a media cycle, and smaller businesses may prefer that but are often not going to get as much choice in who their applicants are anyway.

Pretty sure even for those its overstated how much of a difference it makes if they have the same grades, especially at the large banks that just want you to do internships and complete their long hiring processes. Oxbridge is right I know several people at oxbridge not doing any better/ doing worse than people at other unis who were more commercially minded who did internships etc while at uni.
Reply 11

It is all about how competitive it is to get into a university like UCL, as Bath and Nottingham are considered 'easier' to get into for undergraduate degrees. For most graduates at UCL, Nottingham, Bath, etc it won't impact their career paths, but it will if targeting Investment Banking, Management Consulting, Legal (Barrister pathway), and Engineering (some Formula 1 teams not all as Bath is a target uni for most of them) graduate careers. The perception is that the students who go to Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh, UCL, Durham, LSE, Imperial, St Andrews, Bristol, Warwick (for Maths), and KCL have a stronger work ethic, are more passionate about their subject - "nerdy", and are far more focused on their future career at undergraduate level than those who don't go to those universities.

There is also the further divide Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh, UCL, Durham, LSE, Imperial, St Andrews, Bristol, Warwick (for Maths), and KCL - those who obtained a full or half colour, such as Oxbridge Blue or Durham Palatinate representing their university in sport.

I have heard that some employers that recruit from Oxford, Cambridge, and Durham even target those universities' colleges that are at the top of the Norrington, Tompkins, and Evans college rankings.

It is why you get anomalies such as a Oxbridge Theology graduate trumping a 'lesser' university's graduate in Accounting for a Finance role. In many cases graduates in similar subjects after their initial graduate job will have a similar career trajectory.
Prestige doesn't matter

Universities select for the best candidates, someone who achieved 3 A* at a level will most likely be successful no matter the school they go to. Universities use the prestige factor to their advantage they select talented people who will go on to make a name for themselves also giving the university prestige alongside it. Think Zuck and Bill gates at Harvard. I can only imagine the amount of people who became inspired to go to a school like harvard after watching the social network.

Oxbridge are the most 2 prestigious here in the UK mostly due to the fact they are the oldest and have educated some of Britain's and Europe's most talented scientists,writers, and philosophers.

So ye when applying dont forget the students give the school that prestige
Reply 13
The benefit of places like Oxford is mostly as an alumnus/alumna and staying in touch as an Old Member. The opportunities and contacts that arise through College gaudies and that type of stuff is incredible and trumps basically everywhere else I've read/worked.

Other than that, Oxford was basically just another university to me. A gorgeous university, but largely indiscernible from anywhere else I have read or worked in most ways.
Original post by gjd800
The benefit of places like Oxford is mostly as an alumnus/alumna and staying in touch as an Old Member. The opportunities and contacts that arise through College gaudies and that type of stuff is incredible and trumps basically everywhere else I've read/worked.

Other than that, Oxford was basically just another university to me. A gorgeous university, but largely indiscernible from anywhere else I have read or worked in most ways.

U went ox what was the workload like
Reply 15
The only universities worth going to are Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Edinburgh, KCL, LSE, Durham, and Imperial. Plan B - Bristol, Warwick, Bath, St Andrews, and Manchester
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Kinga88
The only universities worth going to are Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Edinburgh, KCL, LSE, Durham, and Imperial. Plan B - Bristol, Warwick, Bath, St Andrews, and Manchester

That’s false in most cases as there a plenty of good universities that aren’t RG or high ranking (as in mid tier universities).

Oxbridge - no - work experience is king.

Only a very few jobs e.g law, like RG and many employers are recruiting institute blind.

Engineering jobs prefer a year in industry over RG.
Original post by Kinga88
The only

Absolue rot - evidence please?

The thousands of students I've taught and the jobs they have now refute that.
Reply 19
Original post by username3901016
yfdgh

Yes, it does matter. What going to a top university shows is that you have a work ethic and can commit to achieving a competitive goal. However, what you do at an elite university (outside of the course and during holidays ie get prestigious relevant work experience) are also very important.

People who go to top universities also have less likelihood to be complacent and think that getting their degree is that all they need to do. Top performers continually up-grade their skills after their undergrad degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending