The Student Room Group

American Applying to UK Universities

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Sheffield, (which is tecnically in the north btw lol) where I'm from has 2 unis and so a large student population, there are still some historical sites, although we were bombed a hell of a lot in WWII. We have cheap rent, a great live music scene and the yorkshire accent is not particularly strong. This is just my opinion as someone who was raised here, but people are also very friendly and welcoming.
Original post by LutherVan
First off, which universities do you know and rate highly?

Apart from Oxford and Cambridge, some unis off the top of my head are: Bristol, Bath, KCL, Northampton, Nottingham, and ICL.
Original post by LF2
Sheffield, (which is tecnically in the north btw lol) where I'm from has 2 unis and so a large student population, there are still some historical sites, although we were bombed a hell of a lot in WWII. We have cheap rent, a great live music scene and the yorkshire accent is not particularly strong. This is just my opinion as someone who was raised here, but people are also very friendly and welcoming.

Thanks! I've never been to Sheffield, but I have been to other places in Yorkshire. I like the accent, the lead singer of Arctic Monkeys is from Sheffield and I like his voice.
It appears to me that the UK goes more by standardized test scores, including AP exams, and less on soft criteria, like extra-curricular activities.

I would suggest that you pull up the League Tables on the internet, and see the various rankings of the various schools by the subject matter you wish to study.
Original post by ConnorTheYank
Apart from Oxford and Cambridge, some unis off the top of my head are: Bristol, Bath, KCL, Northampton, Nottingham, and ICL.

Northampton most definitely isn't in the same league as the rest of the unis you've mentioned!

Original post by floridadad55
It appears to me that the UK goes more by standardized test scores, including AP exams, and less on soft criteria, like extra-curricular activities.

I would suggest that you pull up the League Tables on the internet, and see the various rankings of the various schools by the subject matter you wish to study.

Argh, no! League tables are a load of tosh. They are based on differing criteria that are very easy to manipulate to get the response that the organisation funding a particular league table wishes to achieve. Don't trust them!
I know you said you'd prefer to study in England, however, (although I may be a little biased as I live here) universities in Wales may offer everything you're looking for. For example, Cardiff is an extremely popular student city with a friendly feel, and a lovely castle plonked in the middle of it! You'll find great nights out and a cracking atmosphere when the Six Nations rugby is on! :smile:

If you want somewhere smaller, Bangor University is lovely. It's a small city set in between the mountain range of Snowdonia and the (seemingly) never ending coastline of North Wales. Also has the longest high street in Britain!

Accents shouldn't be a problem, if you've ever heard Tom Jones or Catherine Zeta then you'll know what to expect :P

I also believe that both these unis have brilliant History departments :smile:
Original post by deuxchatsnoirs
I know you said you'd prefer to study in England, however, (although I may be a little biased as I live here) universities in Wales may offer everything you're looking for. For example, Cardiff is an extremely popular student city with a friendly feel, and a lovely castle plonked in the middle of it! You'll find great nights out and a cracking atmosphere when the Six Nations rugby is on! :smile:

If you want somewhere smaller, Bangor University is lovely. It's a small city set in between the mountain range of Snowdonia and the (seemingly) never ending coastline of North Wales. Also has the longest high street in Britain!

Accents shouldn't be a problem, if you've ever heard Tom Jones or Catherine Zeta then you'll know what to expect :P

I also believe that both these unis have brilliant History departments :smile:

Thanks! My friends mom was from Wales (either Swansea or Cardiff, I don't remember), so the accent really wouldn't be a problem as I could understand her fine enough.

Thanks! I usually do very well on standardized tests and I only do a couple of extracurriculars so this is good news. Colleges in the US put too much emphasis on extracurriculars, in my opinion.
Thanks! I usually do very well on standardized tests and I only do a couple of extracurriculars so this is good news. Colleges in the US put too much emphasis on extracurriculars, in my opinion.

You may therefore want to look at Canada too, for the same reason.
Original post by Origami Bullets
Northampton most definitely isn't in the same league as the rest of the unis you've mentioned!

Argh, no! League tables are a load of tosh. They are based on differing criteria that are very easy to manipulate to get the response that the organisation funding a particular league table wishes to achieve. Don't trust them!

Origami:

I disagree about the League tables. Obviously, they are not definitiive, but they do provide some good GENERAL guidance. If you want to study economics, for example, and one school is ranked number 20, and another number 3, I think it is fairly safe to say that number 3 is the stronger choice.
Reply 30
Original post by skibur
I think some people have been watching too much Geordie shore. Its nothing like that up here :frown:

Agreed, people actually think them shows are reality, the north is nothing like everyone thinks
Plus the Horrible orange fake tan craze is not just one region it everywhere thanks to media and social network

You need to see the area, if you can't fly over have a look at the city via google street view and ask students who are currently there on here, but remember these may not have high ecological validity
Look into Russell Group uni's and you can't go wrong.

And in response to the moron having a dig and northern people/cities; the south of England in my experience is a lot more European and cosmopolitan. When I go north I get a real sense of Britishness that I just love that you don't get down here. I am from Winchester btw. People in the north in my opinion are more approachable and there is a cosy, family atmosphere.
Original post by River85
What a good way to treat the north as a monolith, completely ignoring that there are vastly different cities and universities in the north. From smaller, more historic Durham, York and Lancaster to the larger Newcastle, Leeds and Manchester.

Plus some of the cities, Newcastle in particular, have a reputation as offering the best party and student nights out in the country as well as fantastically friendly and hospitable cities with plenty of culture that doesn't involve naked orange people.

Having travelled across the UK, as well as witnessed plenty on programmes such as Street Crime UK, binge drinking is evident across the country and isn't just a northern problem.

To be perfectly fair though, I'm not sure how much of the accent you'll really encounter at university. Students will be from all over the country and, indeed, world, and usually middle class (Newcastle has a particularly large privately educated, middle class intake from the south of England). Academics will also be from across the world.

Plus not everyone has strong accents. Not everyone from Tyneside has a strong, or even noticeable, geordie accent. You'll probably soon become accustomed.

true, im from durham and went to college in newcastle and ive never met a true geordie only people that have moved there from other places like shields, sunderland, durham, the pit villages ect...
Also, which cities have like a cozy feel? By that, I am talking about narrow streets, old pubs, stone (not brick) houses, but still have a generally young populace. I've been to York, Oxfordshire (Witney and Oxford) and Manchester. I liked York most of all, but the heavy Yorkshire accents are hard for an American to understand. I am not bad at understanding accents; I am familiar with English accents from a variety of regions, but the farther north you go, the harder it gets to understand the locals.

ive been all over the uk and imho Durham, york or Edinburgh fit that description
Origami:

I disagree about the League tables. Obviously, they are not definitiive, but they do provide some good GENERAL guidance. If you want to study economics, for example, and one school is ranked number 20, and another number 3, I think it is fairly safe to say that number 3 is the stronger choice.

Stronger in what way? It might be that No. 20 is lower because of a lower student satisfaction rating. However, I go to a uni that is known for its low student satisfaction - but I've never had a problem myself. It might be that No. 3 spends more on research than the other - but that is almost completely irrelevant until you are a postgraduate.

I think things may be different in the States with regards to league tables. In the UK, they have been up for a lot of criticism (see wikipedia for a summary http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rankings_of_universities_in_the_United_Kingdom#Criticisms ) and are generally not to be trusted. If I had my way I'd ban the things altogether.

When employers are recruiting, they tend to think of universities in terms of overall prestige, unless they are a very specific sort of employer (e.g. a firm of architects looking for a graduate architect). The overall prestige tends to run in tiers, which run along the lines of
Oxford / Cambridge
Russell Group
1994 Group
Ex-polytechnics and other institutions that became universities in 1992 or afterwards
Colleges that also offer degrees
Original post by Origami Bullets
Stronger in what way? It might be that No. 20 is lower because of a lower student satisfaction rating. However, I go to a uni that is known for its low student satisfaction - but I've never had a problem myself. It might be that No. 3 spends more on research than the other - but that is almost completely irrelevant until you are a postgraduate.

I think things may be different in the States with regards to league tables. In the UK, they have been up for a lot of criticism (see wikipedia for a summary http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rankings_of_universities_in_the_United_Kingdom#Criticisms ) and are generally not to be trusted. If I had my way I'd ban the things altogether.

When employers are recruiting, they tend to think of universities in terms of overall prestige, unless they are a very specific sort of employer (e.g. a firm of architects looking for a graduate architect). The overall prestige tends to run in tiers, which run along the lines of
Oxford / Cambridge
Russell Group
1994 Group
Ex-polytechnics and other institutions that became universities in 1992 or afterwards
Colleges that also offer degrees

We have the same disputes in the US regarding the US News & World Report magazine rankings, which have become the "standard". Obviously, the rankings depend upon what criteria you use to formulate the rankings. For example, schools like Dartmouth and Brown seem to get ignored in the international rankings, because they are small, and don't spend enormous sums on research, which is often one of the criteria used. So while I think it is silly to say that a school ranked #21 is "better" than a school ranked #25 in the US News rankings, I do think that if one school is ranked #12, and another #47, that you may well be able to safely conclude that #12 is at least somewhat "better", howeve you define the term better.
York is lovely. It'll be harder to find a more beautiful city and the uni is great :smile:

Sheffield is great. Not the prettiest of cities, but it has AMAZING nightlife. And plus you are right next to Derbyshire, which has some of the most awesome countryside and historical buildings.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37

For a course in History, and you want to be in England, then you should consider KCL and Bristol then. Followed by Bath and Nottingham. ICL does not offer history and Northampton is really not prestigious.

This might help you understand UK prestige:

http://www.nairaland.com/141689/rough-guide-best-most-reputable
Reply 38
Original post by umop apisdn
I would suggest avoiding most northern universities. They generally have the worse in terms of British culture (ie naked orange people drinking far too much and puking).

Of course there's London, but I don't think it's very good for campus-based university atmospheres. Perhaps try Sussex, Surrey and Kent. They have university bubbles, but they're close to London if you would like to visit.

Not up North but don't forget Essex with the orange naked people :| oh and how they speak in Essex my God :|
Reply 39
Original post by LutherVan
For a course in History, and you want to be in England, then you should consider KCL and Bristol then. Followed by Bath and Nottingham. ICL does not offer history and Northampton is really not prestigious.

This might help you understand UK prestige:

http://www.nairaland.com/141689/rough-guide-best-most-reputable

Out of that list

I would suggest Bristol and Bath Bath is next to Bristol and it's more historic.

Also has it lists Bradford... and Essex I really feel that website is unreliable.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending