The Student Room Group

History of Art - Which Uni should I go?

Hi! I'm an international student who's applied bachelor's degree for history of art. I got offers from University of Nottingham, York, Leeds and Birmingham. Since I can not physically go and look around the cities and campus, I would like to know how you think of these universities.

I have an experience to visit York and Birmingham before, but I don't know anything about reputation or living costs. It is also unfair to combine with cities I've never been to. University of Nottingham has affordable educational fee, but I couldn't find a lot of info for foreign students. I have absolutely no idea about Leeds but only thing is there are many students from my home country.

What I only can see is the ranking of each unis and basic information of curriculum. What do you think about life as a student in those cities? And what about the reputation? It would be great if you give me any advices and suggestion. Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by Sisun
Hi! I'm an international student who's applied bachelor's degree for history of art. I got offers from University of Nottingham, York, Leeds and Birmingham. Since I can not physically go and look around the cities and campus, I would like to know how you think of these universities.

I have an experience to visit York and Birmingham before, but I don't know anything about reputation or living costs. It is also unfair to combine with cities I've never been to. University of Nottingham has affordable educational fee, but I couldn't find a lot of info for foreign students. I have absolutely no idea about Leeds but only thing is there are many students from my home country.

What I only can see is the ranking of each unis and basic information of curriculum. What do you think about life as a student in those cities? And what about the reputation? It would be great if you give me any advices and suggestion. Thank you!

I also applied for Art History but im a UK student so I’ve been to York and Nottingham but not Birmingham or Leeds, but made a list in terms of Rep and Costs from your options since all four are Unis I debated
Reputation Wise for Art History
York , Leeds , Nottingham , Birmingham
[York and Leeds had very heavy influence by YBA artists in 1990ish so they have LOTS of art for you to explore which would be really good course wise]
[Theyre all Russel Group so they have high rep no matter what]
Cost - Wise
[International Fees are probably your main issue, but speaking generally, the North of England is cheaper than the South, with London being the most expensive part of the country]
York is the most expensive for Accom I’ve found, especially in 2nd year, Nottingham being the 2nd most expensive probably because it’s just about in the South, Birmingham I didn’t look at accommodation but is probably 3rd and Leeds is the cheapest and in the North so costs will probably be a bit lower.
Personally I'm putting York as my first and either Nottingham or Leeds as my insurance, because while it is a bit more expensive, experience from campus, the city of York, as well as the lecturers who all were genuinely so helpful and so devoted to their subject. Imagine Cambridge but in the North of England and you get a sort of Vibe that York gives,as well as a bigger campus.
Nottingham is right in the middle of the city, and hasn’t had the best rep purely because of some recent crime invoking an ex student, but honestly again the lecturers seemed so interested in the subject. If you have the opportunity to visit I would fully recommend it, however if not I think you’d still love them. Im applying for 3 of the same Unis as you so we may be on the same course in September so feel free to ask , and if Leeds get back to my application il probably visit it then.
Reply 2
Original post by uadyhddjh
I also applied for Art History but im a UK student so I’ve been to York and Nottingham but not Birmingham or Leeds, but made a list in terms of Rep and Costs from your options since all four are Unis I debated
Reputation Wise for Art History
York , Leeds , Nottingham , Birmingham
[York and Leeds had very heavy influence by YBA artists in 1990ish so they have LOTS of art for you to explore which would be really good course wise]
[Theyre all Russel Group so they have high rep no matter what]
Cost - Wise
[International Fees are probably your main issue, but speaking generally, the North of England is cheaper than the South, with London being the most expensive part of the country]
York is the most expensive for Accom I’ve found, especially in 2nd year, Nottingham being the 2nd most expensive probably because it’s just about in the South, Birmingham I didn’t look at accommodation but is probably 3rd and Leeds is the cheapest and in the North so costs will probably be a bit lower.
Personally I'm putting York as my first and either Nottingham or Leeds as my insurance, because while it is a bit more expensive, experience from campus, the city of York, as well as the lecturers who all were genuinely so helpful and so devoted to their subject. Imagine Cambridge but in the North of England and you get a sort of Vibe that York gives,as well as a bigger campus.
Nottingham is right in the middle of the city, and hasn’t had the best rep purely because of some recent crime invoking an ex student, but honestly again the lecturers seemed so interested in the subject. If you have the opportunity to visit I would fully recommend it, however if not I think you’d still love them. Im applying for 3 of the same Unis as you so we may be on the same course in September so feel free to ask , and if Leeds get back to my application il probably visit it then.
Hello! Thank you for all your advice and explanation. You've greatly influenced me to choose the right uni. I finally accepted the offer from uni of York. It was my top priority as well. I loved the city's atmosphere so I sticked to my first decision although its cost is quite higher than other options... XD however, I'm looking foward this sep when I start my new uni life in York. Thank you again :smile: I hope you also got a satisfying result and may talk again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending