The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Dogs should not be allowed on public transport

Just wrong. It's bad enough having to deal with dogs biting holes in my footballs and trying to avoid their droppings on the pavement, due to their irresponsible owners. I don't want to go on a bus/train and find my seat is covered in hairs, nor do I want do have some mofo of a dog sat next to me, smelling of some awful disease and occasionally licking me. Why are dogs allowed on public transport? Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
the only time i've had a problem with dogs on transport was when a dog peed on the bus, but the real issue was the owners, they noticed the dog was really scared and saw it was peeing but refused to get off. not fair on the dog and not fair on other passengers.
Reply 2
I use public transport every day and have never experienced a bad journey as a result of a dog....all the ones i've seen on there are well behaved/clean and don't leave any hair or pee or poop. So I don't think its a problem
I've had dogs growling at me on the bus and jumping at me, and I'm not a dog owner so I don't know whether it's being playful or trying to bite my hand off, but more often than not it looks aggravated. I agree, just don't let them on public transport.
To be fair, most of the faeces, urine and regurgitated food I've come across on public transport has come from humans.

Public transport is for poor people, poor people make poor life choices and generally have bad hygiene. If you're going to use public transport, then you're going to come across this sort of thing, and a dog on a bus is the least of your worries. The people are much, much worse.
Reply 5
Original post by ThisIsTheLife
To be fair, most of the faeces, urine and regurgitated food I've come across on public transport has come from humans.

Are you sure..? :curious:
dogs shouldnt be alllowed anywhere near public
I wasn't aware dogs were allowed on public transport?
Guide dogs are well behaved from what Ive seen. Other dogs on transport though just seems stupid - dogs are supposed to go out for walks not a bus ride! It would surely scare them being on a bus? And there are many people on busses who Im sure probably mess them up more than dogs would (not like a dog would do stuff intentionally, it just wouldn't be used to the surroundings/situation).
Original post by jLou711
Are you sure..? :curious:

Until you've ridden the 62 through the East End of Glasgow, you can never appreciate what I've just said.
So selfish, the dog probably feels the same about you.
Reply 10
What about blind people who require the use of a dog?
I've never had a problem with dogs on public transport, as long as they are sufficiently trained. As both my parents are blind, we regularly take their guide dogs on public transport and there has never been a problem and people have never reacted badly to them being there.
That said, if the dog in question was not trained/was violent, it would be better if they weren't taken on public transport.

So really it's up to the decency of the owner.
Reply 12
Original post by Skill
Just wrong. It's bad enough having to deal with dogs biting holes in my footballs and trying to avoid their droppings on the pavement, due to their irresponsible owners. I don't want to go on a bus/train and find my seat is covered in hairs, nor do I want do have some mofo of a dog sat next to me, smelling of some awful disease and occasionally licking me. Why are dogs allowed on public transport? Discuss.

Well, I'm assuming that you understand the importance of assistance dogs to disabled people, and hence their presence on public transport, so your objection is most probably with regard to the presence of pet dogs brought onto public transport by their owners.

The scenarios you've described do seem rather frustrating, though fortunately I've never been in any of them. It would be nice if the owner could keep his/her pet in a small carrier bag or cage if they want to bring their pets along, as it would save other passengers a lot of grief.
Reply 13
I can understand guide dogs but no other exception. I think every dog (other than guide dogs) that gets onto public transport should be reported to the police and executed on the spot.
Reply 14
Original post by senator88
I use public transport every day and have never experienced a bad journey as a result of a dog....all the ones i've seen on there are well behaved/clean and don't leave any hair or pee or poop. So I don't think its a problem

I am not a fan of dogs I love them as animals but they are commonly used as legal weapons or machines of intimidation. However On public transport the few times I have encountered dogs they have not disturbed me.
I've only ever seen a dog that I thought shouldn't have been there while on public transport (it was terrified); most of the time they are well behaved and you wouldn't know they are there.
Aside form guide dogs, who obviously need to be allowed, it really depends on the individual case as to whether it should be allowed. Similar to people; if someone is being abusive or pissing on the floor, you can tell them to leave or not allow them on. The same should go for dogs, treat it on an individual level.
How is it fair for the majority of responsible dog owners with well behaved dogs to suffer because of a select few?

I personally had to travel with my dog on the train occassionally. It wasn't regular by any standards, but when I did she was good as gold and just lay at my feet for the majority of the journey.
Reply 16
I'd ban them in totality. There are thousands of people hospitalised each year from dog bites. Too many people walking about with their 'sharks on leashes'. If I ever go cycling or running on a path it is a massive PITA, I really loath dogs, plus they foul the place up, it's disgusting. There should be a law that if your dogs craps everywhere and you don't pick it up you should be publicly forced to eat dog **** on pain of death.:redface:
Reply 17
As a bus driver,

Problems caused by dogs - 0
Problems caused by humans - stopped counting

I propose we ban humans from public transport. Then mass transit can run efficiently, on time, hygienically and without people complaining.
As someone who takes her dog on the bus I can't disagree more. As you've said in your original post those things are because of irresponsible owners, not dogs- so why should the responsible owners be punished -_-. When I take mine on the bus I either sit on the seat with her between my legs on the floor or if two seats together aren't spare I'll stand with her between my legs- that's all I've ever seen other people with dogs on the bus do. My dog behaves a lot better than certain people I've encountered on the bus yet no one questions their use -_-.

Neg because I don't agree with you :,) I have a dog that behaves on the bus damn me and my well behaved dog.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ThisIsTheLife

Public transport is for poor people, poor people make poor life choices and generally have bad hygiene. If you're going to use public transport, then you're going to come across this sort of thing, and a dog on a bus is the least of your worries. The people are much, much worse.

Some people who are quite well off also take public transport, unless you call them poor as well.
and...How do you see faeces from humans on public transport?! Lol

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300

Latest

Trending

Trending