The Student Room Group

functions and inverses

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mark85
In the case of functions - this is done too soon.

In the case of most maths this is the case

From KS1 onwards children who do not know what numbers mean/how to count/what number bonds to 10 are ... are forced into fractions/algebra/etc
Reply 21
Original post by TenOfThem

From KS1 onwards children who do not know what numbers mean/how to count/what number bonds to 10 are ... are forced into fractions/algebra/etc

That isn't the main problem though. Of course, you have the difficulty that people learn at different speeds and are forced onto the next concept before they understand the last.

The main problem is that the curriculum on the subject of functions is so dire that it likely confuses even the brighter and quicker kids for the reasons mentioned in the previous post. Maybe a teacher who is strong mathematically would lock onto the deficiencies in the way the curriculum deigns to teach it but in the majority of cases - this isn't going to happen due to time constraints and exam pressures and whatnot.
Original post by TenOfThem

This problem isn't limited to maths either. It's the same across most subjects. Students need a solid base from which they can build from. I think this analogy sums up the problem well: You can't build a skyscraper without solid foundations.

Weird but sadly true.
Reply 23
Original post by Madalaine M
How would you teach maths, or how do you teach maths even?

I don't teach - I did consider it briefly a few years ago as a career change, but after doing a lot of research I was too horrified by what was going on in the school system to take things any further :smile:

I can't comment on what goes on in primary schools, or Key Stage whatever, but I think there's a clear problem at the GCSE level where the qualification is trying to serve 2 distinct purposes - fundamental numeracy / life skills for people with no academic aspirations; and preparation for advanced study for those who want to continue to A level or beyond (particularly in Maths, Science and Economics).

From the point of view of employers, you can have people scraping a grade C whose numeracy skills are still suspect, so the qualification fails in that respect; and looking at a lot of the posts on this forum, it seems that even those people with A*s at GCSE are fundamentally under-prepared for A level study. It's just frightening how many people I see on here start a post with "I'm doing C1 but I can't remember how to do long division", or who are trying to differentiate functions but can't actually manipulate indices or add two fractions together!

I would personally go back to the old system of CSE and O level, or at any rate have some sort of "numeracy certificate" which students could take at any stage to demonstrate the basic skills without confusing them with any extra baggage about algebra and trigonometry which is utterly unnecessary for most people. An "O level" or equivalent could then be toughened up to provide a firm grounding for A level and beyond for those who are sufficiently interested in the subject.

I don't blame the students (or teachers) for any of the current situation - I think there's been too much emphasis on "accessibility" over the last 15 years which means that more people now have (or are studying for) qualifications, but fewer people actually understand what they're learning or why, so the qualifications themselves become devalued :frown:

Anyway, rant over - I'm off to try to be helpful again now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest