The Student Room Group

Positive and Negative ratings

As someone who likes to help people, I have replied to quite a few posts with the goal of putting my opinions and knowledge in to helping someone with a problem, recently I have noticed that some of my advice gets 'thumbs down', even when OP has replied and the advise was given in a polite way.

People shouldn't be so quick to rate down something... it will stop people trying to help and get involved in the future.

Your thoughts?
dealwithit.jpg
Reply 2
Boring rant.

advice = noun
advise = verb
Reply 3
It's called providing an opinion, something which is at the very core of the forum. If you can't take criticism and people disagreeing with you then don't participate.

EDIT: I just got negged. The system works!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kendy
As someone who likes to help people, I have replied to quite a few posts with the goal of putting my opinions and knowledge in to helping someone with a problem, recently I have noticed that some of my advice gets 'thumbs down', even when OP has replied and the advise was given in a polite way.

People shouldn't be so quick to rate down something... it will stop people trying to help and get involved in the future.

Your thoughts?

I wouldn't worry about it.

If someone's put off from stating their opinion because a couple of red bars might pop up, then I think they might want to take a step back and question why they take the internet quite so seriously....
Original post by s.a.u
It's called providing an opinion, something which is at the very core of the forum. If you can't take criticism and people disagreeing with you then don't participate.

Yeah fair point... but if someone just rates another person's post 'thumbs down' without saying anything else (unless it's immediately obvious what is wrong with the post) then it's hardly cirticism because the person doesn't know what they are being criticised about. :frown:
I've always found a rep system a bit crap. They should get rid of negative rep as it's just annoying.

I don't really care btw if anyone negs this post, but if you do and you don't write a good reason why then you're a dick.
Original post by kendy

Your thoughts?

That's TSR for you. And because you complained publicly you're likely to get negged. Keep plugging away, your pos rep will build up eventually. Try not to worry or care about rep too much though.
Reply 8
Thanks for the feedback, it is interesting to see what types of people browse these forums.

From the responses I have received,
It shows to me that a lot of people are missing the point of this site.
It is to help students get on with their teen years, by receiving advice and guidance from the 'community'
'Negging' the people who give advice or try to create a discussion seems wrong to me.

I will carry on helping people, and I couldn't really care less about 'thumbs down', just thought that it would be nice to see how other people feel...

Thanks.
Reply 9
Original post by littleeggy
Yeah fair point... but if someone just rates another person's post 'thumbs down' without saying anything else (unless it's immediately obvious what is wrong with the post) then it's hardly cirticism because the person doesn't know what they are being criticised about. :frown:

I agree with this. If you're going to negative rep someone, at least explain. Most the time it doesn't even make sense as to why somebodies been given a negative rep.
I think negative rep should be scrapped or used in extreme circumstances (i.e, they really are being a horrible person/their post is not relevant/spam)- not just because you disagree with somebody else. Everyone has different opinions after all.
Reply 10
First rule of rep....

Anyway, man up. When people don't agree they'll often neg you, and they wont always reply, deal with it.
Original post by Lemonzaz
I agree with this. If you're going to negative rep someone, at least explain. Most the time it doesn't even make sense as to why somebodies been given a negative rep.
I think negative rep should be scrapped or used in extreme circumstances (i.e, they really are being a horrible person/their post is not relevant/spam)- not just because you disagree with somebody else. Everyone has different opinions after all.

Sometimes it's just easier to neg and run rather than get in a messy / long winded thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending