The Student Room Group

depression and studdying

Have been feeling really depressed now that I am in gcsees and it feels like there is no hope. I have only completed 2 out of 21 exams and I already want to give up and never sit the rest.
I can still sorta work thanks to concerta but behind my medicated motivation, there is nothing. Just me waiting to get to bed and sleep.
My mom really isnt helping because she keeps taking away all my computers which are what is making me motivated to keep living and pass english to get into 6th. In her opinion i am just tired and if I get a good nights sleep, i will wake up and be the happiest person alive. If only that could work.
i dont usually have feelings like this ig but the combination of stress, confusion and a lack of fun is really killing me

what do you guys reccomend for finding the energy to do well and not sleep through an exam?
Reply 1
Original post by Dbdbdjdb
Have been feeling really depressed now that I am in gcsees and it feels like there is no hope. I have only completed 2 out of 21 exams and I already want to give up and never sit the rest.
I can still sorta work thanks to concerta but behind my medicated motivation, there is nothing. Just me waiting to get to bed and sleep.
My mom really isnt helping because she keeps taking away all my computers which are what is making me motivated to keep living and pass english to get into 6th. In her opinion i am just tired and if I get a good nights sleep, i will wake up and be the happiest person alive. If only that could work.
i dont usually have feelings like this ig but the combination of stress, confusion and a lack of fun is really killing me

what do you guys reccomend for finding the energy to do well and not sleep through an exam?

Hiya~

Used to be in your position when it was my turn to do GCSEs 3 years ago.
It sounds a bit like you’re in a period of burnout. That means different things to different people in terms of how they react. Some are angrier, some are sadder, some end up not being able to do anything because they’re overwhelmed by all the thoughts and worries of negative scenarios, and are too mentally drained to do anything since they now feel too sleepy. The last part was me, and sounds like you too. Anxiety also plays a part in leading to this.
When you leave yourself in this almost reclusive state, it’s hard to get out of it because there’s nothing that helps to push you out of it.
That’s where what you do helps.

Do some exercise - it doesn’t have to be anything tryhard or stuff like that. Just increase your heart rate by doing some weird dancing in your room idk 🤷🏻
That very often actually helps you get energy to do stuff, no matter how counterintuitive it sounds. Elevate your heart rate for at least 20 - 30 minutes. Raise your heart rate 30 minutes before you need to do some work. Your body releases endorphins and other hormones that make you feel motivated when you exercise.

You might be in a state where you’ve got so much to think about you don’t know where to start. Just start at wherever and work from there. Most of the actual brain work actually goes in to STARTING to revise for stuff. If you remain frozen, you would have done less revision than if you just started anywhere.

Realise that the brain is powerful af
What you’ve conditioned it to do (even subconsciously), it will do.
That’s where putting on an overly confident mindset while revising comes in. Ignore the idea that you’re faking it, because eventually your brain conditions itself to think that it can pull out all the stops to get the top grades.
Your brain actively recalls as much info as it could when you’re thinking confidently and positively to fulfil the impression it has on itself. It’s a subconscious thing your brain does. When in an anxious, burned-out state, your brain won’t recall or try to recall things as much as you could, since it thinks it can’t.
Think it, it will do.

Revise with a friend but talk to each other as if you’re teaching the subject to them. Simply talking to someone else even on the phone while doing revision eases the pain. Remember to stay on focus, but to take breaks ever 30 minutes.

Also, if you give up now, what was the point of the past several years leading up to this point? Give it a go.

Remember that so many people are feeling the same way as you right now. Best thing to do is to talk it out with someone you know won’t shut you out. Can’t think of anyone in particular? Your school should be able to help. Still no? Find a group on TSR who share your thoughts. There’s bound to be one on here. Anymore more questions? Go ahead.

Wish you the best,
Haneul_Sol
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest