The Student Room Group

Oxidising help

Can 2-methylpropan-2-ol be oxidised ? Like does it I from orange to green ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, it's a tertiary alcohol and can't be oxidised in the same sense that primary or secondary alcohols can :smile:
Original post by EierVonSatan
No, it's a tertiary alcohol and can't be oxidised in the same sense that primary or secondary alcohols can :smile:

1,4-butanediol (OHCH2CH2CH2CH2OH), when it's oxidised in excess what would be formed? When it is oxidised once i realised it formed O=CHCH2CH2CH2OH, but there's a another OH on the fourth carbon with a hydrogen as well (O=CHCH2CH2CH2OH). Can this be oxidised any further? And this is a secondary alcohol right? Thanks you :smile:
Original post by Tee Logan x
1,4-butanediol (OHCH2CH2CH2CH2OH), when it's oxidised in excess what would be formed? When it is oxidised once i realised it formed O=CHCH2CH2CH2OH, but there's a another OH on the fourth carbon with a hydrogen as well (O=CHCH2CH2CH2OH). Can this be oxidised any further? And this is a secondary alcohol right? Thanks you :smile:

Yes, both OH groups are able to be oxidised but they're both primary alcohols :yes:
Yes, both OH groups are able to be oxidised but they're both primary alcohols :yes:

So the answer when its oxidised second time is O=CHCH2CH2CH=O ?
And why are they both primary alcohols? Thanks you
Original post by Tee Logan x
So the answer when its oxidised second time is O=CHCH2CH2CH=O ?
And why are they both primary alcohols? Thanks you

Yep :yep:

A primary alcohol has an OH group that is attached to a carbon with 2 or more hydrogens :smile: If it was secondary, the carbon would only be attached to 1.
Yep :yep:

A primary alcohol has an OH group that is attached to a carbon with 2 or more hydrogens :smile: If it was secondary, the carbon would only be attached to 1.

Aaah i see now. Thanks a lot :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest