The Student Room Group

BREAKING - Pork DNA Found in Halal Chicken at School...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Although it is impossible to tell with certainty, the consensus is that it doesnt. At least as far as regulated stunning practices go.

You are telling me that if I stunned you with a captive bolt, you would feel nothing?

Except that it's been shown that the animal is in serious pain and is very much conscious as it's bleeding to death. While the thrashing may still happen if the animal is stunned, the conscious pain does not.

Shown how?

Electric residue? Seriously?

I don't know if it was specifically "electrical residue" but I was reading something yesterday which stated that the stunning method using electricity (waterbath stunning) may in some cases contaminate the meat thus making it extremely dangerous.
Original post by sophmay
To begin I would like to state that slaugher houses to employ vets to ensure the animals are healthy and I'm sure if something awful happened within a slaughter house that the vet would be on hand.

All slaughterhouses must use the stunning method unless the animals are for halal or kosher foods.

It can take cattle up to 2 minutes to die using this method and will cause stress to the animal before it loses consciousness

This is not the case. Captive bolt is used to stun cattle but gas and electrical stunning are used for poultry, electrical stunning is also used for sheep and pigs. Only once they are stunned are they are bled. It is not the bolt of the stunning that kills them. The animal is not "cut up" until it has been hung up. By this time I think that someone would have realised the animal was still alive.

This is not the case with free range and organic animals. Also cows and sheep are generally kept outdoors and given the freedom to roam and do as they please. I whole heartedly disagree with battery farming.

Captive bolt is only used for cattle and for stunning not slaughter. However yes this is true; but legislation requires that animals are confined to a stunning pen or have their heads securely restrained in order to carry out effective stunning. 5-10% of animals may not be successful stunned and of course I do not think this is acceptable and something needs to be done to make the job of the slaughtermen easier to produce better stunning results.

Animals are not cut up while they are still alive; however some may accidentally be slaughtered while still conscious. I don't think you can really say this is what happens in UK slaughter. It is difficult to get the facts on this matter as so many animal rights groups will take a small number examples and make out that ALL slaughterhouses are like this. It's counter productive to meat quality as stress hormones released in the body make the meat taste bitter and unappealing.

I am a vegetarian and hold animal rights views myself so I don't feel that animals should be slaughtered for food in the first place. But since this isn't going to stop we should ensure their welfare as much as possible and to do so people need to facts of the current situation rather than the bias writings of animal extremists.

Point 1-I cannot see that a slaughterhouse is about animal welfare in any way. They're focused on food production . A vet is present yes, to ensure that the animals are disease free and unlikely to cause any harm to humans that consume them.
2)This is true in terms of legality, I am sceptical on whether it is a method that is proven, particularly the electric bath method has been proved as faulty when it comes to ensuring an animal is dead first.Gas methods also, do not ensure immidiate unconciousness.

I do disagree with the Muslim methods of killing, however I cannot argue that they are any worse than the uk methods if looking at the whole picture.
I've also been inside many slaughterhouses, far too many and I had to resign myself to never doing it again due to realising my own mental health was suffering. People in these places, really, really do not care if the animal is still alive or not.

I think you may like to do some more research regards what free range means though, if you're a vegetarian for animal rights reasons (or partly for those reasons).
Free range is VERY misleading. The legislation for free range centres around very sketchy lines such as 'Must have access to the outside'. This could mean that chickens are in a room squashed in with hundreds of other birds, but there's an opening in the room at one end-so that if they ever manage to get to it, they can potentially get outside. Free range birds are still debeaked with no anaesthetic.
For cows and pigs, the same-all it means is 'access to the outside' not that they're kept outside or have room to roam

I am aware stunning is generally not the method of slaughter. By 'cut up' I didn't mean hacked to pieces, more that they were subject to being slaughtered and then the usual methods of meat production continues

I have been an activist most of my life, but I am more a 'slacktivist' now, as much of what I did, I was too emotionally connected to to be able to function in other areas of life.
Edited to add, I've done what I didn't intend to do here and discussed things that are far removed from the original thread subject-apologies!I'll continue elsewhere if there's another thread.
(edited 11 years ago)
By law those who carry out slaughter must have a licence and adhere to the law; for the licence training would be required and most likely follow up training and checks.

The electric bath method does have it's problems I agree; however gas methods, in my opinion, are much more sound. It does not cause immediate unconsciousness because some methods require different stages of gas concentration and some use different ratios of gas. However it is most likely less stressful because the birds just breath it in and fall unconscious. There is little chance that the birds could remain conscious in the types of controlled atmospheres that are used. When it comes to chickens though it's a bit of a different ball game. Purely because of even just the shackling of the chickens, before its even been made unconscious. It causes immense pain and stress (all nociceptors have been known to react during this time). Workers in slaughter houses view this as the worst job and it's often done on rotation because they find it distressing themselves.

Some workers may not care about the welfare personally, but if their job depends on it they have to adhere to the rules.

I'm aware of the health implications of free range on animals; hence why all I said was I was adverse to battery farming. And yes I am also aware of the legislative conditions of free range; I am doing a masters in animal welfare, law and ethics at the moment. And thesis is on the very topic of this thread actually :smile: (Not the slaughter argument, but the adulteration of food).

All birds are debeaked using no anaesthetic; not just free range. And it is done when they are very young using a hot blade or infra-red. When performed correctly this should have no adverse effect on the bird.

I also find I am quite emotionally involved in all areas of animal welfare; I've decided that it's not a bad thing as long as I can keep a cool head, see things from other people's point of view and keep remembering that I am dedicating my life to trying to make a difference.
Agreed :wink: but then a lot of cows, sheep, chickens and pigs are gonna need homes!
If we don't eat chickens, chickens will eat us

Posted from TSR iPad
I pray there will be no violence.
Original post by sophmay
Agreed :wink: but then a lot of cows, sheep, chickens and pigs are gonna need homes!

Wouldn't there be far less animals in general though, because we would no longer be breeding so many for meat? :smile:

Back on topic, people are surprised by this? The meat industry is a mess, this type of thing is practically to be expected.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Error4001
You are telling me that if I stunned you with a captive bolt, you would feel nothing?

As far as I can gather, I would feel no pain. What pain there is, would consist of a sudden, and very quick sharp pain.

Shown how?

Because they are still conscious?

And for your pleasure

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17972-animals-feel-the-pain-of-religious-slaughter.html

I don't know if it was specifically "electrical residue" but I was reading something yesterday which stated that the stunning method using electricity (waterbath stunning) may in some cases contaminate the meat thus making it extremely dangerous.

Ah I see what your talking about. Electrocuting, if done improperly can lead to blood clotting (amongst other problems).
Original post by sophmay
By law those who carry out slaughter must have a licence and adhere to the law; for the licence training would be required and most likely follow up training and checks.

The electric bath method does have it's problems I agree; however gas methods, in my opinion, are much more sound. It does not cause immediate unconsciousness because some methods require different stages of gas concentration and some use different ratios of gas. However it is most likely less stressful because the birds just breath it in and fall unconscious. There is little chance that the birds could remain conscious in the types of controlled atmospheres that are used. When it comes to chickens though it's a bit of a different ball game. Purely because of even just the shackling of the chickens, before its even been made unconscious. It causes immense pain and stress (all nociceptors have been known to react during this time). Workers in slaughter houses view this as the worst job and it's often done on rotation because they find it distressing themselves.

Some workers may not care about the welfare personally, but if their job depends on it they have to adhere to the rules.

I'm aware of the health implications of free range on animals; hence why all I said was I was adverse to battery farming. And yes I am also aware of the legislative conditions of free range; I am doing a masters in animal welfare, law and ethics at the moment. And thesis is on the very topic of this thread actually :smile: (Not the slaughter argument, but the adulteration of food).

All birds are debeaked using no anaesthetic; not just free range. And it is done when they are very young using a hot blade or infra-red. When performed correctly this should have no adverse effect on the bird.

I also find I am quite emotionally involved in all areas of animal welfare; I've decided that it's not a bad thing as long as I can keep a cool head, see things from other people's point of view and keep remembering that I am dedicating my life to trying to make a difference.

I know, regards the de-beaking however most people are unaware that this happens to free-range, they think they're treated well.
I wanted to do my M.A thesis on animal rights but was advised against it lol

Original post by sophmay

Lol I always get this response. I always say something like, 'Okay if everybody stopped buying bread, do you think the manufacturers of it would carry on making it?Or perhaps jsut stop producing it?lol

I've been vegan for 12 years, vegetarian for 18.
Original post by sophmay
Do you actually have proof that it doesn't? Since I have studied the slaughter of animals including Kosher and Halal I think I might win this one...

http://muslimvillage.com/2011/05/31/6170/is-halal-slaughter-cruel-to-animals/

Read this CAREFULLY! :smile:
Most people who bang on about halal don't give a toss about animal welfare, apart from people who oppose all slaughter of animals for meat.

They just don't like Muslims, so jump on the bandwagon. :eek:
Reply 131
As far as I can gather, I would feel no pain. What pain there is, would consist of a sudden, and very quick sharp pain.

A very contradictory statement.

And if one were to slit your throat, you would feel pain?

The actual study and it's report please?

Ah I see what your talking about. Electrocuting, if done improperly can lead to blood clotting (amongst other problems).

Most of the time it does. What with 1/3 of these birds being dead even before they get to the slaughterman and various other health problems associated with the waterbath stunning technique.
A very contradictory statement.

And if one were to slit your throat, you would feel pain?

Sorry, I should have written "if there is any pain". But all reports I have read says there is none, the animal is unconscious instantly.

And yes, if my throat, I would be in intense pain for at least 10 seconds.

The actual study and it's report please?

There is no the study. It's pretty much accepted that animals feel pain. In anycase, even with good technique, a sheep or cow will loose consciousness in over 10 seconds.

These sum up that calves do feel pain, and the need for stunning.

http://muir.massey.ac.nz/bitstream/handle/10179/1010/01front.pdf;jsessionid=4845F53721AA95966586F758466843D8?sequence=2

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19471326

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19471328

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19471324

This mentions times of consciousness.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0309174010001543

And just to sum up

http://www.animalwelfareapproved.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/TAFS-18-Why-pre-slaughter-stunning-is-important.pdf

Most of the time it does. What with 1/3 of these birds being dead even before they get to the slaughterman and various other health problems associated with the waterbath stunning technique.

Do you have a source for that? As far as I can gather, the problem only really arises when the improper technique is used.

In either case, it comes to a point whether meat quality is more important than animal welfare.

Edited for clarity
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 133
Sorry, I should have written "if there is any pain". But all reports I have read says there is none, the animal is unconscious instantly.

And yes, if my throat, I would be in intense pain for at least 10 seconds.

How so?

There is no the study. It's pretty much accepted that animals feel pain. In anycase, even with good technique, a sheep or cow will loose consciousness in over 10 seconds.

These sum up that calves do feel pain, and the need for stunning.

http://muir.massey.ac.nz/bitstream/handle/10179/1010/01front.pdf;jsessionid=4845F53721AA95966586F758466843D8?sequence=2

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19471326

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19471328

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19471324

This mentions times of consciousness.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0309174010001543

And just to sum up

http://www.animalwelfareapproved.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/TAFS-18-Why-pre-slaughter-stunning-is-important.pdf

One interesting fact that I noticed in the abstracts and the actual report was the use of anesthetic. This does not occur in real life and thus the study presents a flawed conclusion.

If one has to go for electric shock treatment in a hospital, the doctors ensure that he is given an anesthetic before the application of the treatment. This is to stop the patient feeling pain when the treatment is applied. If you were to start the treatment without giving the patient any anesthetic do you think he/she would feel pain?

The reason why there was no pain registered on the EEG was because of the anesthetic administered before the actual act of stunning the animal. It would be very interesting to note the actual pain results from the EEG had the animals not been subjected to anesthesia.

Do you have a source for that? As far as I can gather, the problem only really arises when the improper technique is used.

Not a direct reference, but here, here and here.

Also, 'One-third of the birds are killed in the stunner and one-third are not stunned'. (FAWC 1982).

In either case, it comes to a point whether meat quality is more important than animal welfare.

Edited for clarity

Hypothetically speaking, surely it is far better that an animal is not subjected to cruelty (battery farming etc) than a few seconds of pain at the end?
How so?
Because as demonstrated, I would still be conscious.
One interesting fact that I noticed in the abstracts and the actual report was the use of anesthetic. This does not occur in real life and thus the study presents a flawed conclusion
The point of the anesthetic was to prevent the animal from experiencing any pain, while still being able to record whether pain would have occurred. The anesthetic would not impact on any of the results in any way, particularly the main point, which is that bleeding out the calves results in pain.
If one has to go for electric shock treatment in a hospital, the doctors ensure that he is given an anesthetic before the application of the treatment. This is to stop the patient feeling pain when the treatment is applied. If you were to start the treatment without giving the patient any anesthetic do you think he/she would feel pain?
Electric Shock treatment is an entirely different procedure so I fail to see the comparison.
The reason why there was no pain registered on the EEG was because of the anesthetic administered before the actual act of stunning the animal. It would be very interesting to note the actual pain results from the EEG had the animals not been subjected to anesthesia.
I fail to see how. The stunning was administered post-incision, giving 5 seconds of EEG recording without stunning, which indicated pain, without the animal experiencing pain. Again, the point of the anesthetic was to allow the nociception to occur, without the animal registering the pain. All that would change without the anesthetic would be the animals conscious awareness of the pain, and would have no effect on the local pain signals caused by the bleeding out.
Not a direct reference, but here, here and here.Also, 'One-third of the birds are killed in the stunner and one-third are not stunned'. (FAWC 1982).
I'll concede that point. But it only applies to poultry.
Hypothetically speaking, surely it is far better that an animal is not subjected to cruelty (battery farming etc) than a few seconds of pain at the end?
Well, as a Vegetarian I would prefer them not to be farmed to be slaughtered at all. But there is no reason you cannot have both an ethical farming technique, and minimize the pain at death.
Reply 135
Because as demonstrated, I would still be conscious.

I believe we are talking in reference to you experiencing any pain. Tell me, if one was to slaughter something in the Halal/Kosher way, how soon would one die?

The point of the anesthetic was to prevent the animal from experiencing any pain, while still being able to record whether pain would have occurred. The anesthetic would not impact on any of the results in any way, particularly the main point, which is that bleeding out the calves results in pain.

If the anesthesia affects the EEG reading, then it is a flawed study. These two studies (1, 2) are pulled from the internet which suggests that the application of anesthesia affects the EEG data, regardless of whether or not they wanted to cause the animals pain or not.

If you really want an impartial data source where the conditions of slaughter are replicated in a scientific experiment, I refer you to the 1978 study.

Electric Shock treatment is an entirely different procedure so I fail to see the comparison.

In reference to poultry?

I fail to see how. The stunning was administered post-incision, giving 5 seconds of EEG recording without stunning, which indicated pain, without the animal experiencing pain. Again, the point of the anesthetic was to allow the nociception to occur, without the animal registering the pain. All that would change without the anesthetic would be the animals conscious awareness of the pain, and would have no effect on the local pain signals caused by the bleeding out.

So a general anesthetic was applied?

I'll concede that point. But it only applies to poultry.

I'll keep digging.

Well, as a Vegetarian I would prefer them not to be farmed to be slaughtered at all. But there is no reason you cannot have both an ethical farming technique, and minimize the pain at death.

So how would you stop their population from exploding?
I believe we are talking in reference to you experiencing any pain. Tell me, if one was to slaughter something in the Halal/Kosher way, how soon would one die?

In reality, this answer hinges on the rest of the debate.

If the anesthesia affects the EEG reading, then it is a flawed study. These two studies (1, 2) are pulled from the internet which suggests that the application of anesthesia affects the EEG data, regardless of whether or not they wanted to cause the animals pain or not.

The fact that anesthetics can induce a change in EEG reading is irrelevant, and does not make the study flawed. The findings are robust, and the anesthetic did not interfere with the results. All the first study you provided shows, was that EEGs could pick up the change in state brought on by anesthetics. What's more, you cannot simply dismiss these studies (which are based on well established protocols) on such ridiculous grounds as "Anesthesia affects the EEG reading".

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00480169.2007.36760

If you really want an impartial data source where the conditions of slaughter are replicated in a scientific experiment, I refer you to the 1978 study.

I find that study highly suspect. I can find no mention of it outside of Islamic Websites, and I can find no trace of the original german article (outside of islamic websites). And finally, the supposed study is not listed on Wilhelm Schulze's list of publications.

In reference to poultry?

I fail to see how? The purpose of electrical stunning for poultry is to stun.

So a general anesthetic was applied?

Yes. The technique is well understood, and is widely used to measure pain in animals.

So how would you stop their population from exploding?

Seriously?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sugarmouse
I know, regards the de-beaking however most people are unaware that this happens to free-range, they think they're treated well.
I wanted to do my M.A thesis on animal rights but was advised against it lol

Lol I always get this response. I always say something like, 'Okay if everybody stopped buying bread, do you think the manufacturers of it would carry on making it?Or perhaps jsut stop producing it?lol

I've been vegan for 12 years, vegetarian for 18.

While I don't like de-beaking I think the alternative can be worse. Even if chickens have enough enrichment and stimulation they can still feather peck and this can be terribly painful.
Why were you advised against it?! I think it's great that people take an interest and those that do are not all crazy animal rights extremists.
I'm vegetarian but it's a difficult thing because opting out of buying meat altogether has no effect on the way meat is produced. You make more of an impact changing to more ethically farmed meat. But I can't bring myself to eat them unfortunately.

No offence but I think an article published by a website that is written and for muslims is going to be biased.

Read this CAREFULLY
The science suggests (although some applies to kosher meat the non-stunning process is still the same):

http://www.publish.csiro.au/view/journals/dsp_journals_pip_abstract_scholar1.cfm?nid=72&pip=AN12128
" Ten animals were assigned to each of the four treatment groups: (i) animals were subjected to conventional halal slaughter (a clean incision through the structures on the ventral neck at the approximate level of vertebrae C2-C3 – the trachea, oesophagus, carotid arteries and jugular veins) and post-cut penetrating mechanical stun within 10-20 seconds of the halal cut (U) ...... The U animals had consistently higher, if not the highest RMS values compared to other stunned animals. This indicates a degree of EEG changes associated with stress and pain. Based on EEG data, our results indicate that penetrative stunning would be the most reliable method of ensuring insensibility and minimising pain."

http://digitool.library.colostate.edu/exlibris/dtl/d3_1/apache_media/L2V4bGlicmlzL2R0bC9kM18xL2FwYWNoZV9tZWRpYS8xNjM0NA==.pdf

"
The design of the knife and the cutting technique are critical for preventing the animal from reacting to an incision of its throat. For halal slaughter, there is no knife-design requirement. Halal slaughter performed with short knives and multiple hacking cuts results in vigorous reactions of cattle being treated in this manner ..... Investigators agree that throat-cutting without stunning does not induce instantaneous
unconsciousness. In some cattle, consciousness is prolonged for over 60 seconds (Blackmore, 1984; Daly et al., 1988)"

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0309174007003038

"The primary conclusion from this study is that false aneurysms do develop during shechita and halal slaughter. This could pose a risk of extended consciousness for some of those animals."

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0309174082900948

"The use of a non-penetrative method of percussion stunning caused immediate insensibility and an increase in BP which persisted after exsanguination had commenced. Calves stunned with a penetrating captive bolt showed immediate and permanent insensibility and the EEG became isoelectric within 15 s."

https://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayFulltext?type=6&fid=652740&jid=WPS&volumeId=62&issueId=03&aid=470530&bodyId=&membershipNumber=&societyETOCSession=&fulltextType=RV&fileId=S0043933906001097
"Inert gases on the other hand are used to maintain general anaesthesia during airway laser surgery (see, EFSA, 2004). Stunning or killing with inert gases, especially argon, has been studied extensively in farm animals. Animals, including birds, do not have intrapulmonary chemoreceptors to detect inert gases and therefore, do not show any aversion during initial exposure to hypoxia/anoxia induced with nitrogen, argon or their mixtures. Webster and Fletcher (2004) hens showed the least number of stops and retreats during approach to argon atmosphere, and the behaviour of birds has been described to be very similar to those observed in air. In addition, highest percentage of the test hens was stunned in argon atmosphere in the chamber."

I would say stunning is much kinder, particularly stunning of chickens with inert gas since they can't detect it...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sos@student_room
Most people who bang on about halal don't give a toss about animal welfare, apart from people who oppose all slaughter of animals for meat.

They just don't like Muslims, so jump on the bandwagon. :eek:

Do you not only protect the practice of halal because you are Muslim? As in, you don't care about their welfare either?

I have Muslim friends. I also am doing a Masters in Animal Welfare, Ethics and Law. So I think I most definitely care about their welfare...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending