The Student Room Group

Factorising cubics

Oh the joys of additional maths...
I'm really confused on how to factorise cubics, they are new to me and well the teacher either didn't explain them amazingly or I zoned out.... So if this is the question, how would you factorise it?
6x³-13x²+x+2 is divided by (x-2). The remainder is 0, so I know that (x-2) is a factor. I also know you have to do this:-
(x-2) (6x³-13²+1) but how do I factorise the bracket with the cubic?
Thanks for any help.. :smile:)
Reply 1
Original post by Phoebe♥
I'm really confused on how to factorise cubics, they are new to me and well the teacher either didn't explain them amazingly or I zoned out.... So if this is the question, how would you factorise it?
6x³-13x²+x+2 is divided by (x-2). The remainder is 0, so I know that (x-2) is a factor. I also know you have to do this:-

The problem is that you've written the second line wrong, if you multiply out the brackets you will see that you do not get the original cubic

Try long division :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Phoebe♥

You know one bracket (x-2) you just have to figure the rest

(x2)(6x2+?x1)(x-2)(6x^2 + ?x - 1)

You need the 6x26x^2 to multiply with the x
You need the -1 to multiply with the -2

When you multiply -2 by 6x26x^2 you get 12x2-12x^2 and you will need another 1x2-1x^2

SO the x multiplied by the ?x will give you that if ? is -1

So you have (x2)(6x2x1)(x-2)(6x^2 - x - 1)

You should know how to factorise a quadratic
Reply 3
you know that (x2)(x-2) is a factor, so use the fact that:

6x313x2+x+2=(x2)(ax2+bx+c)6x^{3}-13x^{2}+x+2=(x-2)(ax^{2}+bx+c)

expand the right side, and equate the coefficients of like powers.
Original post by Phoebe♥

divide 6x3132+16x^3-13^2+1 by (x2)(x-2)

and then you will get a quadratic which you can factorize into the form (a+x)(b+x)(a+x)(b+x)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by upthegunners
divide (x2)(x-2) by 6x3132+16x^3-13^2+1

No

The other way round
Original post by TenOfThem
No

The other way round

haha yea

That's what I meant...past my bed time :redface:

Quick Reply