The Student Room Group

What Is The Worst Drug In The UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by jam277
Tbh the worst you get is it stop working on you. Which makes for a **** night. Comedowns are fine if you're not alone and have people to talk to.

Haven't had that happen to be honest. The comedowns aren't so bad I find, but 3 days in a row makes for a pretty bad 3rd comedown.
Original post by bertstare
What I mean is, it's sort of unfair to compare the risks of two drugs when one is used a few times a year, and the other is used a few times a week. Alcohol 3x a week would definitely cause more long term issues than MDMA once every several months, but consumed in moderation alcohol is pretty safe. MDMA that often and you'll probably end up with severe depression/serotonin syndrome or something. So it's not really a problem with alcohol itself (most people are not addicted) but the way people use it

Definitely the thing is since their is such a huge drinking culture a lot of people don't moderate their usage of alcohol, MDMA less people tend to abuse it but that may be due to the fact if they attempt to abuse it becomes boring. It definitely shouldn't be a class a if the drug laws were based on actual harm which they aren't. A lot of the damage from MDMA abuse people do eventually recover from its not been proven that brain damage is permanent alcohol on the other hand in the long term definitely destroys brain cells.

If your responsible both can be used safely, sadly not everyone can be :/
Reply 82
Original post by Steevee
Haven't had that happen to be honest. The comedowns aren't so bad I find, but 3 days in a row makes for a pretty bad 3rd comedown.

It happens when you underdose, then you realise that you've underdosed too late.
Reply 83
The ignorance demonstrated by some people on this thread is just laughable.
Reply 84
Original post by haydyb123
From a Chemist's perspective it frankly scares me that people will happily buy any of these substances off some random person with no way of quantifying the purity or identity of what you've purchased. And before you think oh I'm just being boring, I know in 99% of cases you will take the substance and have absolutely no repercussions.

However I don't care about the 99%; I care about the 1% who will die from an overdose, or some other toxicity.

My view is to legalise and regulate, but that's an aside.

I agree here. But tbh I guess you get it off people you trust. Cannabis e.g. can be grown by people, quite a lot of people make it themselves and you know the person(or a friend of a friend) does it.
Reply 85
Original post by jam277
It happens when you underdose, then you realise that you've underdosed too late.

Why not just top up?
Original post by Nvmthename
Acid... Some people never leave 'the hole.'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for linking to the peer-reviewed study that validates your claim
Reply 87
Original post by Steevee
Why not just top up?

I have done so, but what happens is that you've used up a lot of seretonin already and you can't release anymore.
Plus when I overshoot I feel bad for like 20 mins so I try to get the balance right. Although tbh I'd rather overshoot and have a good night if it means feeling ****ty for 20 mins.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You mean until they take acid, right?
Reply 89
Original post by jam277
I have done so, but what happens is that you've used up a lot of seretonin already and you can't release anymore.
Plus when I overshoot I feel bad for like 20 mins so I try to get the balance right. Although tbh I'd rather overshoot and have a good night if it means feeling ****ty for 20 mins.

Ah, fair enough.
Reply 90
Original post by Sanctuary
How can we establish whether there is any substance behind your claim if you do not provide a source or describe your own experience?

I don't see how that's your business.

Original post by danielnkwocha
I find this hard to believe. I've seen loved ones turn into junkies and wrecks from a 'one off', so unless you can provide some kind of evidence be it personal or otherwise I'll stick to my beliefs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Rainingshame
heroin makes you physically dependant. There's no such thing as a casual user. Crack and crystal meth are two of the most addictive substances on earth. There's a reason every junkie will tell you one hit and you're hooked. It's because after that high you spend all your time taking hits to find it again.
Simply for that reason I picked ahead of alcohol. Although alcohol is far more used just like powder cocaine, ecstasy and cannabis you can be a casual user.

You can chase the dragon and get away without being hooked, as much as you can do some lines of coke and not become an addict. The actual drugs themselves depend on how they are used, in what quantity and on the individual themselves - there's no guarantee of an addiction though there is a disposition to believe so.
Reply 91
Original post by haydyb123
From a Chemist's perspective it frankly scares me that people will happily buy any of these substances off some random person with no way of quantifying the purity or identity of what you've purchased. And before you think oh I'm just being boring, I know in 99% of cases you will take the substance and have absolutely no repercussions.

However I don't care about the 99%; I care about the 1% who will die from an overdose, or some other toxicity.

My view is to legalise and regulate, but that's an aside.

I agree. There's so much crap in legal highs and you just don't know what you're getting. I'd rather do something I knew even if it posed a danger rather than some of the legal highs now. I've known a couple of people who've died off of them, one personally, and it's put me off anything in head shops for good.
Original post by Liam_G
This graph seems a little ridiculous. I guess the "harm to others" section of the graph accounts for drink drivers, which is why it's so high. I would hardly trust someone to drive a car who's just injected a **** load of heroin into their body either. The harm to self section for heroin is only slightly larger than alcohol too. Really? I consumed alcohol on average 1-2 times a week during my 9 months at uni. I came back for summer, and haven't touched alcohol for the last 2 and a half months. I'm guessing that if I used heroin twice a week for nine months, I'd have been having some serious withdrawals.

Pretty misleading to go with tobacco as apposed to cigarettes, or nicotine too. As cigarettes are much more harmful than tobacco, the second hand smoke causes a lot more damage to others, and much more people use cigarettes rather than straight tobacco. Surprised by the harm to others section for cannabis, too. Considering that I heard the second hand smoke from it is 4 times more carcinogenic than cigarette smoke.

But seriously. Alcohol scoring 20 points higher than Heroin. What the hell. If you're accounting for harm to others, surely you should consider drug smuggling, the fact that heroin isn't taxed, and links between Class A illegal drugs and trafficking (?)

Alcohol causes addiction to, people suffer physical withdrawals with alcohol addiction, not to mention if you were addicted you could definitely spend all your money on it, no its not as expensive as heroin but with a serious addiction you could result to stealing to which is harm to others, violence while drunk too a heroin addict is not likely to become aggressive under the influence alcohol however. A lot more people use alcohol to so there's a high potential for abuse. Alcohol addiction certainly harms the family/friends too.
Reply 93
Other - Coffee
I went for the obvious alcohol and heroin, but legal highs also have the potential to inflict some serious harm. I think the whole scene is a bit of a timebomb. There have already been several deaths from mislabelled batches and a lot of these drugs are dreadfully under-researched. The active dosages are often very low (measured in miligrams, in some cases micrograms) and a lot of people are too stupid/lazy/cheap to invest in a set of scales to make sure they aren't taking some retarded amount of what is already a relatively unstudied chemical. Plus they have a lot of potential to be sold by drug dealers claiming that they are something else. Basically you have a lot of people taking unknown quantities of unknown drugs and I don't see it ending well.
Original post by Happydude
Thanks for linking to the peer-reviewed study that validates your claim

Mate im not writing a report... Its just an opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Alcohol is up there, and factoring in its social acceptance I'd put it over heroin too. Heroin carries the stigma of being a junkie, whereas there is no other drug like alcohol where people find it funny to drink so much they black out, end up in a&e etc. Withdrawal from alcohol is also more dangerous than opiate/heroin withdrawal. I'd also mention tobacco purely because the miniscule dopamine rush you get from a cigarette in no way compares to the damage it causes.

I doubt anyone's opinion contrary to the government's matters though. There was that guy who was the head of drug research for them and they fired him when he said alcohol is more dangerous than a lot of drugs and horse racing is more dangerous than MDMA lol :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Manitude
Not quite, Krokodil is far worse. Thankfully it's not something that's really a problem in the UK.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/krokodil-the-drug-that-eats-junkies-2300787.html
It's terrifying.
I'm not saying this is the worst drug ever, but I've not heard of anything which kills its users so quickly, is so addictive and is so easy to obtain.

As for the people saying alcohol, yes in total it almost certainly causes more deaths than all others put together (excluding tobacco), but compare the proportion of people who drink alcohol and remain normal functioning members of society with the proportion of people who take heroin and are normal functioning members of society. Heroin appears a lot more likely to ruin your life than alcohol.

Holy **** that actually scared me.
Reply 98
Original post by danielnkwocha
Holy **** that actually scared me.

It really is something that is deserving of "not even once". It makes heroin look like milk...
The pictures of addicts are pretty horrific, when the skin and flesh is rotted to reveal bone :s-smilie:
I've watched a few documentaries about it too, like this one:

I also watched a few about heroin users and meth users. There's a particularly touching one about a heroin addict who started filming the last few years of his life.

I went through a phase a few months ago of constantly watching documentaries on youtube. There's loads I didn't get chance to watch, and right now my internet connection is too slow to stream even 144p videos.
Reply 99

Posted from TSR Mobile

No way, acid isn't physically dangerous but loads of those other drugs are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending