The Student Room Group

Would you join the Army if conscription was introduced?

Scroll to see replies

I would join for the front line. I love to shoot.
If the war was clearly just and good I'd volunteer before conscription.
... Conscription isn't a choice OP.
Original post by The Angry Stoic
What about pacifists in nazi germany?

Don't have a problem with them because Nazi Germany were aggressors. There's also a difference between being a pacifist and just not supporting Nazi germany.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
... Conscription isn't a choice OP.

There's always a choice, Lemons.
Whether I joined would depend on the war. Say it was the same situation as we are in now with the Middle East. I would not join because I have no desire to help rich people get richer from the oil money in the Middle East. If that ment I would go to prison then I would happily drive the the nearest prison and lock myself in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
I'd outright refuse, that includes refusing any medic or "non-combatant" role.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by The Angry Stoic
There's always a choice, Lemons.

The thread is an oxymoron :colonhash:

The army is my plan b career path, so I'd enlist.
The thread is an oxymoron :colonhash:

The army is my plan b career path, so I'd enlist.

What's your plan a

Posted from TSR Mobile
I definitely would - my (albeit short) time at the army was definitely one of the best weeks of my life - If I become less skinny then I'd possibly join anyway
Original post by Sammy Lanka
What's your plan a

Posted from TSR Mobile

Barrister for the CPS.

Plan B is a lawyer for the army.

But I'd rather fight in our army as a soldier than be unemployed, so :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Don't have a problem with them because Nazi Germany were aggressors. There's also a difference between being a pacifist and just not supporting Nazi germany.

Presumably everyone from opposing sides in a war believes the other to be the aggressor. Just saying.
Barrister for the CPS.

Plan B is a lawyer for the army.

But I'd rather fight in our army as a soldier than be unemployed, so :smile:

I'm guessing that will be pretty hard. I've heard that law is very complicated.

I wish you the best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
if my family is not threatened by invasion then the government can stick its wars up its ****ing arse. I'd rather sit in prison than have my cock and balls blown off in some sandy barren ****hole to further the interests of some pig politician.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Bart1331
Presumably everyone from opposing sides in a war believes the other to be the aggressor. Just saying.

History is written by the victors.
Reply 35
Original post by DiddyDec
History is written by the victors.

Yup. It's all very well saying "Nazi Germany is different because they were the aggressors", but what about the people in Nazi Germany who felt "Britain are the aggressors"?

In World War I, Germany was painted as the big bad evil aggressor, but Britain was just itching for an excuse to go to war. And as both sides clearly wanted to fight each other for no real reason other than to prove how macho they were, it makes the immense loss of life seem all that more frustrating and pointless. Maybe when country's want to go to war, their politicians should be the people fighting each other, so they would see just how horrible war is. Might make them less inclined to go starting illegal wars all over the globe.
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
What the **** is this pacifistic childish thinking? How the **** is someone fighting for their survival over a aggressor not worthy of respect? Pacifist are just selfish pricks who enjoy the fruits (protection/freedom) by those who are willing to fight.

:toofunny: Aggressor? We're the ones who've instigated the wars we've been involved in in the past 2 decades. More to the point - it's just a job, they're not fighting for any sort of respectable cause, it's been about land and resources. Do you respect a binman for emptying bins or a shop worker for doing their job?

Now, those who fought in wwii - fair play to them, saving Europe from fascism, but today's soliders? I honestly could not care less.

It's hardly childish thinking, it's a simple view of the army being what it is - a career where you get paid to kill whoever the state has arbitrarily labelled the enemy.

I'm far from a selfish prick you ****, I'm simply opposed to violence, like the member of any sane society should be. I work to help people, not to kill people and will sooner die than kill. Besides, you can protect freedom without fighting - as much as I loathe his veneration, ever heard of Mahatma Gandhi?

And, now to summarise, Rise Against:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arson_fire
No respect for the 380,000 brits who died keeping this country nazi-free?

No reasonable person could say that Brits who did in the war don't deserve respect. In fact I believe that anyone who dies for what they believe in. However I have no respect for the rich pigs who use war to get more money

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only if we were actually fighting for survival so as in naval fleets/bomber aircraft were trying to attack Britain
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sammy Lanka
I'm guessing that will be pretty hard. I've heard that law is very complicated.

I wish you the best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I rather like law, but you're right, it can be complicated :smile:

Thank you! You too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending