The Student Room Group

Specific Gravity - Fluids in Motion Quesiton

Hey, I have a question that asks:

"A U-tube contains liquid of unknown specific gravity. An oil of density 800 kg/m3
is poured into
one arm of the tube until the oil column is 12 cm high. The oil–air interface is then 5.0 cm above
the liquid level in the other arm of the U-tube. Find the specific gravity of the liquid.".

I assume I use delta P = rho g delta h, however if I'm looking for g I don't have pressure either...
Any ideas?
Original post by urbanamore

"A U-tube contains liquid of unknown specific gravity. An oil of density 800 kg/m3
is poured into
one arm of the tube until the oil column is 12 cm high. The oil–air interface is then 5.0 cm above
the liquid level in the other arm of the U-tube. Find the specific gravity of the liquid.".

I assume I use delta P = rho g delta h, however if I'm looking for g I don't have pressure either...
Any ideas?

I understand you should be looking for ρ\rho of the liquid. Specific gravity is the ratio of the density of a substance to that of water. You can use the fact that the pressure on both sides of the tube is the same.

Unparseable latex formula:

\rho_l_qgh_l_q=\rho_o_i_lgh_o_i_l

Original post by urbanamore

is poured into

Any ideas?

Take a look here.
http://www.schoolphysics.co.uk/age16-19/Properties%20of%20matter/Density/text/Manometer_/index.html

Quick Reply

Latest