The Student Room Group

pulley

A particle P of mass 4kg rests on horizontal ground and is attached by a light,inexxtensible string to another particle Q of mass 4.5kg. The string passes over a smooth pulley whose center is 3m above the ground.Initially Q is 1.1m below the level of the center of the pulley.The system is released from rest in this position.
a)find the acceleration of the two particles
B) find the speed wit which Q hits the ground
Original post by ugauafidufd
A particle P of mass 4kg rests on horizontal ground and is attached by a light,inexxtensible string to another particle Q of mass 4.5kg. The string passes over a smooth pulley whose center is 3m above the ground.Initially Q is 1.1m below the level of the center of the pulley.The system is released from rest in this position.
a)find the acceleration of the two particles
B) find the speed wit which Q hits the ground

What have you tried? Where are you stuck?
Reply 2
Original post by old_engineer
What have you tried? Where are you stuck?

I am stuck in part A idk how to do it, ik I will make 2 equations but idk how to get them
I am stuck in part A idk how to do it, ik I will make 2 equations but idk how to get them

You should start by drawing a diagram and labelling it with the forces acting on P and Q (one of which will be string tension). Then form separate equations of motion for P and Q based on Newton's second law of motion (F = ma). Post your working if stuck.
Reply 4
You should start by drawing a diagram and labelling it with the forces acting on P and Q (one of which will be string tension). Then form separate equations of motion for P and Q based on Newton's second law of motion (F = ma). Post your working if stuck.

i solved it i got 0.58 ms-2, but can you guide me on the first step of the part B, should i use SUVAT?
Reply 5
i solved it i got 0.58 ms-2, but can you guide me on the first step of the part B, should i use SUVAT?

thank you i was able to solve it

Yes you can use suvat for part b. (And it's probably better to work to three significant figures rather than two).
Reply 7
Yes you can use suvat for part b. (And it's probably better to work to three significant figures rather than two).

okay thank you, im stuck in C thye sajd Q doesn't bounce and then asked to cslcjste fkf P how am I supposed to answer it
okay thank you, im stuck in C thye sajd Q doesn't bounce and then asked to cslcjste fkf P how am I supposed to answer it

I'm afraid I can't follow that. What does the question actually say?
Reply 9
I'm afraid I can't follow that. What does the question actually say?

assuming that Q does not rebound from the ground while string is slack,
c)show that P does not reach the pulley before Q starts to move again
assuming that Q does not rebound from the ground while string is slack,
c)show that P does not reach the pulley before Q starts to move again

Once the string goes slack, P moves freely under the influence of gravity, i.e. it becomes a projectile. Based on that, you can use suvat to find how much further P moves upwards from the instant when the string goes slack.

Quick Reply

Latest