which is least worst, Norfolk or Essex accent??

Watch
Poll: which accent is better ??
Norfolk (6)
33.33%
Essex (6)
33.33%
Neither are bad (3)
16.67%
They're both terrible (3)
16.67%
nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Basically ... I'm from Suffolk. There doesn't seem to be many stereotypes of Suffolk people and peoples accents seem to either sound Norfolkesque or Essexesque depending on which end we're from. But which is the better, or least worst accent to have out of the two ?? I think I sound more norfolkesque than essexesque ... I don't particularly like sounding like a farmer, but because of the stereotypes of Essex folk, especially with the help of TOWIE, a Norfolk accent might be preferable ??
Delboy1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You're saying it as if the Essex accent isn't attractive?
Sir Killalot
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm proud of my Norfolk accent.

Depending on where I am in the country people either think I'm really posh, or that I'm a farmer. It's quite strange buh!
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm from Suffolk and I don't really have an accent. Some people's are almost unintelligible though.
nic-nac
Rep:
?
(Original post by Delboy1)
You're saying it as if the Essex accent isn't attractive?
I don't particularly want to sound like Joey Essex !!! There's nothing wrong with the people, I just don't want to sound like them.
seaholme
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Norfolk is least worse by a million miles. Although apart from the very strong essex accents, I actually don't think either are that bad!
nic-nac
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sir Killalot)
I'm proud of my Norfolk accent.

Depending on where I am in the country people either think I'm really posh, or that I'm a farmer. It's quite strange buh!
Again, there's nothing wrong the people, I just don't like talking like a farmer. It's really hard convincing people you're not a farmer by saying "I don't talk that much like a farmer" when I say that sentence and particularly the word 'farmer' in the most farmerish way possible.

(Original post by alow)
I'm from Suffolk and I don't really have an accent. Some people's are almost unintelligible though.
People from outside of east Anglia have never guessed i'm from Suffolk, most guess Norfolk and a couple have guessed Essex !!!
Delboy1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nic-nac)
I don't particularly want to sound like Joey Essex !!! There's nothing wrong with the people, I just don't want to sound like them.
Mine is not too strong but i'm still offended
nic-nac
Rep:
?
(Original post by Delboy1)
Mine is not too strong but i'm still offended
I'm sure you're a lovely person. I'm offended when people think I talk like a farmer !! I do try and talk 'properly' especially now I've moved out of east Anglia. But there's just some words/phrases I can only say in a farmerish way.
BashmoreFan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Colchester in North Essex has a real mix of accents, depending on the age/background of the person. Younger people generally tend to use estuary english, whereas the elderly sound a lot more rustic.
und3niable_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The informal working class accents of the two counties are both terrible but that's with all places. It's all about how the people present themselves and speak, not really the accent.
nic-nac
Rep:
?
(Original post by und3niable_)
The informal working class accents of the two counties are both terrible but that's with all places. It's all about how the people present themselves and speak, not really the accent.
You say that, but I love most other accents. I think it's a case of wanting what you haven't got.
LB30
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You do realise that no one in TOWIE has an Essex "accent" right? They're all cockney's. There is no such thing as the "Essex accent", only that of a southern accent and that also depends on how well you were taught to speak. Most people who talk properly from Essex you can't guess where they're from at all, just 'the south'. What the media tries to spin as Essex, Essex accents and people from Essex are all in fact cockney's from East London. A lot of the cockney's left London after the war and the rest have been pushed out by mass immigration so now Essex has every East Londoner there changing the stereotype of Essex. If you talk to a normal person from Essex which is obvious none of you ever have, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them and those from Surrey, Kent, Portsmouth or anywhere else in the south. The ignorance surrounding Essex grows by the day.
EllieC130
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Neither are that bad- there's kind of something I like about the "Essex" accent though I hate TOWIE and the culture displayed on it.
k9markiii
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nic-nac)
Basically ... I'm from Suffolk. There doesn't seem to be many stereotypes of Suffolk people and peoples accents seem to either sound Norfolkesque or Essexesque depending on which end we're from. But which is the better, or least worst accent to have out of the two ?? I think I sound more norfolkesque than essexesque ... I don't particularly like sounding like a farmer, but because of the stereotypes of Essex folk, especially with the help of TOWIE, a Norfolk accent might be preferable ??
Hi fellow Suffolk person. I think I'd prefer the essex accent than Norfolk because I would just a broad Norfolk accent is difficult to understand and not particularly nice. You can hear some very strong Suffolk accents, tends to be older people and sounds similar to Norfolk.

Here's a strong Suffolk accent. http://www.anorak.co.uk/340086/tv/do...ch-audio.html/
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Essex is atrocious. Lots of people at my Uni are from there and they sound so bad.
Green Marble
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The Essex accent is so horrendous that it sounds more like a symptom of brain damage rather than an accent
Picnic1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lots of very clever people have come from Essex. The county's associated with cheerful upward mobility.
Norfolk is associated with incest or unholy alliances between man and turkey. I'm just saying.
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Regional accents are awesome. London accents are awful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (0)
0%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (7)
63.64%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (2)
18.18%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (1)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
9.09%

Watched Threads