The Student Room Group

To what extent is "political correctness" necessary?

I'm sure many people have noticed a general increase of political correctness in society. Has this benefitted society or made it worse? Is there a need for it, and to what extent?

Discuss :smile:
Reply 1
It's made things far worse and made a bigger deal out of anything where there wasn't anything before hand. And the people who defend it are often always part of the professionally offended crowd who actively seek reasons to get offended by things in society which, in many cases, are on the behalf of others who never asked them to feel upset for them.
Political correctness should continue existing to show people how horrible it is
It is the zeitgeist to complain about political correctness, but most of those who complain about political correctness are the same who would object to someone pointing and laughing at a kid with physical disabilities. In other words, the vast majority of people are politically correct, they just like to complain about it.
Reply 4
I don't know if, in the grand scheme of things, its made everything worse. I mean, we're definitely all a lot less racist than we were 60 years ago. But there was a recommended maximum level somewhere and we have exceeded it by some distance. Its a more pressing issue than people think.
Often I think it's beneficial, then I think it's unnecessary. This is why I want to see what others think, to help me settle it a bit
It depends what you call 'politically correct'. Being 'politically incorrect' offers a sense of being laid back. When it's done to castrate the culture in this country it's way wrong, but even at a basic level it's so condescending that I could not possibly agree to it.

There's rumours of things like 'brainstorm' being banned despite the fact that it is not typically well known to mock people with mental illness and say they're having a brainstorm. I mean, in that context, what makes it equate more to mental illness than a migraine or headache? What about typical depression, is that 'brainstorm' as well? Political correctness is not only condescending it's also hypocritical.

I think blackboard is another word that is supposedly 'politically incorrect' because of the word 'black'. I do hope it's all *******s, for everyone who follows political correctness to this extent because I still call it a blackboard.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4782856.stm

Stories like this tends to fuel the fire, but there are idiots all over the place and they shouldn't be allowed near our children.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Laws and regulations are effective a preventing institutions from being discriminatory. Political correctness is a tool intended to prevent individuals from being discriminatory. The flaw is that political correctness diminishes discrimination but it does not diminish prejudice. In a politically correct society, people tend to hide or deny their prejudice, but they don't eradicate it. The most non-prejudicial group I have ever observed was within an elite military unit. They were obnoxiously politically incorrect. They acknowledged their cultural differences, they referred to each other with slurs, nothing was off limits, and they were committed to one another without condition. There is nothing I those guys won't do for one another. Political correctness is for people who will never truly care for one another, and that is what is wrong with it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Snagprophet
It depends what you call 'politically correct'. Being 'politically incorrect' offers a sense of being laid back. When it's done to castrate the culture in this country it's way wrong, but even at a basic level it's so condescending that I could not possibly agree to it.

There's rumours of things like 'brainstorm' being banned despite the fact that it is not typically well known to mock people with mental illness and say they're having a brainstorm. I mean, in that context, what makes it equate more to mental illness than a migraine or headache? What about typical depression, is that 'brainstorm' as well? Political correctness is not only condescending it's also hypocritical.

I think blackboard is another word that is supposedly 'politically incorrect' because of the word 'black'. I do hope it's all *******s, for everyone who follows political correctness to this extent because I still call it a blackboard.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4782856.stm

Stories like this tends to fuel the fire, but there are idiots all over the place and they shouldn't be allowed near our children.

Yes, I noticed when brainstorm was then called mindmap or thoughtshower. I think that is rather ridiculous. I mean, the majority of people would not even link that to a mentally ill person. It's looking far to deep into it and, if anything, highlights minority groups and makes people more likely to then be aware about insults to them.

Same with blackboard and black sheep. There were rumours it was changed to "rainbow sheep", not sure if that is true or not though.
Reply 9
It is necessary to a certain extent, but it can be and often is excessive eg:
- when it benefits minorities over majorities, rather than making them on the same par (eg Islamofacists in Tower Hamlets and men not being allowed to defend themselves against assault from women)
- when it interferes with humour (to consequently fuel narcissism)
- when it interferes with things that aren't prejudice (eg baa baa rainbow sheep)).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by No Man

- when it interferes with things that aren't prejudice (eg baa baa rainbow sheep)).

Just to note, the story that the government was banning that was fabricated by the Daily Star in 1987.

Omg what the...? I used to play with toy guns as a child and kissed boys at school - hasn't made me turn out bad :tongue:
Some people seem to have it in their heads that political correctness is synonymous with morality. And that is quite worrying to be honest.
Original post by Greenlaner
Some people seem to have it in their heads that political correctness is synonymous with morality. And that is quite worrying to be honest.

Exactly. If I call my friend a midget, it's not because I have anything against midgets, it's just a turn of phrase. I think we have become too analytical of innocent situations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending