The Student Room Group

Remembering Exothermic and Endothermic

Hey guys! :biggrin:

Does anyone have a good way of remembering that exothermic means bond making, and endothermic means bond breaking?

I've been stuck for ages getting them mixed up, was just wondering if anyone had a good little way of remembering the difference...
It takes energy to break a bond -> put in energy = endo

bond forming is the other way around :yep:
Ok think of exo and endothermic reactions as people.

An exothermic couple release energy because they're making babies because they're bonded by love (and another way if you know what I'm sayin' amirite or amirite :wink2: :wink2: :wink2: :wink2: )

An endothermic couple argues loads so they bottle in loads of energy until they divorce and break their bond.

Chemistry by chickenonsteroids.

You're welcome.
Endothermic = END OF BONDS
Reply 4
Endo- means 'inside' like you need to provide the energy and exo- is always 'outside'. See the pattern - it shows the direction of the flow of energy.

Not sure if it's little, but if you know a bit about orbital theory then you know that bonds are spontaneously created only because a new molecular bonding molecular has lower energy than the sum of two atomic orbitals that overlapped to create the bond. If energy was needed to create a bond, then most elements would be in their free form. (I guess this is quite simplified just not to get too deep into quntum chemistry) That's why you need to deliver energy in order to break bonds and the energy is radiated while the bond is being created.

I guess this is not what you were looking for, but if you understand the rule, it will be no longer a problem for you. Maybe someone knows some easier way. :wink:
Reply 5
my teacher told to me to remember by using MEXOBENDO making bonds = exo and braking = endo
Reply 6
These are all pretty good, Thanks people!

My personal favourite is MEXOBENDO haha, but i do quite like chickenonsteriod's analogy :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by jo7777
Does anyone have a good way of remembering that exothermic means bond making, and endothermic means bond breaking?

Does it?

In almost every reaction some bonds are broken and some are created, it is a difference between their energies that makes the reaction exo- or endothermic.
Original post by mattcandy3
my teacher told to me to remember by using MEXOBENDO making bonds = exo and braking = endo

This one's really good. Thanks for the suggestion!
Take an example of a couple:colone:NDothermic: ENDing our relationship so our bonds are broken.EXothermic: EXcited to start a new relationship.

Quick Reply

Latest