The Student Room Group

Artificial Womb: Yes or No? And Why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SaFa1237
But it would still be possible to have natural births. It just won't be the social norm. We won't lose the ability unless something happens through evolution.

Yeah that's my point. Hundreds (thousands?) of years down the line humans might evolve to not be capable of natural births.
Reply 21
Original post by Psyk
Yeah that's my point. Hundreds (thousands?) of years down the line humans might evolve to not be capable of natural births.

Is that necessarily a bad thing? Aside from the risk of technology crashing. The human population has increased dramatically and if we continue the way we are, the Earth won't be able to 'accommodate' us.
Also presuming this technology does advance, it will be pretty darn expensive and not everyone will be able to afford it. These people will rely on natural births as will many religious people. They won't be affected by this on an evolutionary basis.
It'll be like a sci-fi movie, where the poor people can't afford these things and they live in underground bunkers and then all the technology crashes and they have to repopulate. Sorry, I'm getting carried away with myself.
Reply 22
Original post by SaFa1237
Is that necessarily a bad thing? Aside from the risk of technology crashing. The human population has increased dramatically and if we continue the way we are, the Earth won't be able to 'accommodate' us.
Also presuming this technology does advance, it will be pretty darn expensive and not everyone will be able to afford it. These people will rely on natural births as will many religious people. They won't be affected by this on an evolutionary basis.
It'll be like a sci-fi movie, where the poor people can't afford these things and they live in underground bunkers and then all the technology crashes and they have to repopulate. Sorry, I'm getting carried away with myself.

I'm going to say it's a bad thing because that's how the Asgard died out in Stargate :tongue:
Reply 23
Original post by Psyk
I'm going to say it's a bad thing because that's how the Asgard died out in Stargate :tongue:

Is cloning and the use of an artificial womb the same thing though? :wink:
Reply 24
What would these artificial wombs be contained in? I'm guessing it won't be like one of those cylinder pods that you have in sci fi games/films.
Original post by PoisonSky
If you were to have a baby at a time when artifical wombs were available, would you consider it?

No, I would rather carry my own baby

Wbu?
Original post by No Man
What would these artificial wombs be contained in? I'm guessing it won't be like one of those cylinder pods that you have in sci fi games/films.

Something like this maybe: http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2012/02/23/what-do-artificial-wombs-mean-women/
Original post by nivvy21

- Will benefit women who have damaged wombs
- Equality for both sexes
- Women do not need to take maternity leave
- Deaths of premature infants could be drastically reduced
- Artificial womb may be safer than a 'normal' womb, ie the risks of diseases, accidents, drugs, alcohol, pollutants, inadequate nutrition, etc., would all be virtually eliminated
- Will benefit women who cant conceive
- If technology improves, will benefit same sex couples
- Could potentially end abortion debate, ie instead of terminating the pregnancy, the baby can be moved to the artificial womb and put up for adoption

For these two reasons alone, yes.

Everyone deserves the opportunity to have a child.
Original post by Le Papillon
For these two reasons alone, yes.

Everyone deserves the opportunity to have a child.

Do you think that these reasons outweigh the cons of the argument?
Original post by Psyk
One potential problem is ending up reliant on the technology. If use of artificial wombs becomes the norm then a few hundred years down the line, most people may be incapable of giving birth naturally.

Then again, you could make the same argument against IVF I suppose.

IVF isn't quite the same, although I do admit it's taking a step on the road, therefore making other things seem more acceptable.

With IVF, the mother still needs to carry the child and give birth, and the whole process is very invasive and stressful.

One thing that I worry about is that it would make having children so much easier. With the current way that women have to carry and give birth to a child, it means that the want to have a child has to outweigh all of the physical aspects of carrying that child and then giving birth to it (unless of course it was an accidental pregnancy but one would hope that these are the minority). If it is this easy, you'll probably get people having children without really giving it enough thought. And if it's expensive then will it be a case of rich people can have children but poor people can't? At least with IVF you get a couple of free cycles.

Although the population is expanding, I don't think it's growing uncontrollably yet. If we take note of what's happening, we will be able to improve resources to cope with the expansion. If, however, it becomes the case that women can have more children and closer together, this might do more harm than good. I don't think there would be many people who say "I wish I had less children" (apart from when stressed, lol) but I know for a fact there are people who say "it would have been nice to have one more". And this artificial thing would leave that as an option.

In short: no.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Psyk
One potential problem is ending up reliant on the technology. If use of artificial wombs becomes the norm then a few hundred years down the line, most people may be incapable of giving birth naturally.

Then again, you could make the same argument against IVF I suppose.

I understand. But, I think artificial wombs should be used in exceptional circumstances, as opposed to open to everyone. e.g. women who cant carry a baby, menopausal women, gay couples etc

Original post by Ripper-Roo
Disagree I think the natural way of reproduction is better

I agree and me personally, would prefer to have a natural birth, but See above.

Original post by Kiss
Isn't this just another way to render human beings useless?

Understandable, but what if only used in exceptional circumstances, e.g. women who cant carry a baby, menopausal women, gay couples etc

Original post by Ade9000
I think some women won't be keen on this. They'll probably feel as though they have been rendered useless.

Hmm, I do know what you mean (side stepping the fact this implies women's only purpose is to give birth), but see above. Actually, I do agree with you, it feels a bit pointless to give birth and have no proper connection with the baby and the fact you can't breast feed. But, then again: could argue this is the same for adopted children?

Original post by Where'sPerry?
Very interesting topic! Why would women not need maternity leave though? AFAIK they only take leave JUST before the baby is born and use the months afterwards to care for baby, not recover from the birth itself.

Also, with this technology I presume it would not be possible for the mother to breastfeed the baby (no foetus in her womb therefore not triggering milk production), which some might not be happy with. Or does any drug currently exist that can trigger milk production? Quite a minor negative though.

Some women do take the last few months before birth, so that's what I meant; less maternity leave would be needed.

Ahh, interesting point, came across it myself, but forgot to put it down and yes, I assume the baby would be given formula or something?
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
IVF isn't quite the same, although I do admit it's taking a step on the road, therefore making other things seem more acceptable.

With IVF, the mother still needs to carry the child and give birth, and the whole process is very invasive and stressful.

One thing that I worry about is that it would make having children so much easier. With the current way that women have to carry and give birth to a child, it means that the want to have a child has to outweigh all of the physical aspects of carrying that child and then giving birth to it (unless of course it was an accidental pregnancy but one would hope that these are the minority). If it is this easy, you'll probably get people having children without really giving it enough thought. And if it's expensive then will it be a case of rich people can have children but poor people can't? At least with IVF you get a couple of free cycles.

Although the population is expanding, I don't think it's growing uncontrollably yet. If we take note of what's happening, we will be able to improve resources to cope with the expansion. If, however, it becomes the case that women can have more children and closer together, this might do more harm than good. I don't think there would be many people who say "I wish I had less children" (apart from when stressed, lol) but I know for a fact there are people who say "it would have been nice to have one more". And this artificial thing would leave that as an option.

In short: no.

Hmm, I agree.
Reply 32
Original post by nivvy21
No, I would rather carry my own baby

Wbu?

i'm sure most women would rather carry the baby even with all the issues involved, the natural instincts and bonding are too strong. plus you can't exactly post 200 weekly FB selfies of an artificial device to make your friends jealous. not to mention it will allow career obsessed Hollywood actresses to have kids before they're 48 and not be forced to adopt black babies.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by nivvy21
I understand. But, I think artificial wombs should be used in exceptional circumstances, as opposed to open to everyone. e.g. women who cant carry a baby, menopausal women, gay couples etc

That wouldn't necessarily stop it from happening. If there's a genetic reason why a woman can't carry a child naturally, normally those genes simply couldn't be passed on. Now they can be, so over time you'd find more women who have them and more who can't give birth naturally. Now I think about it, I'm not sure it really would cause a problem since those genes are still unlikely to spread to the entire population.
I love this idea! I never ever want to have to endure pregnancy and childbirth (it's my main motivation for not wanting children, although there are other reasons) so with this artificial womb that issue would be solved!

Next, drugs to permanently stop periods... :colone:
Original post by snowyowl
I love this idea! I never ever want to have to endure pregnancy and childbirth (it's my main motivation for not wanting children, although there are other reasons) so with this artificial womb that issue would be solved!

Next, drugs to permanently stop periods... :colone:

Hahah, but I think that if it is ever introduced, at first it would only be offered to people who cant have children without an artificial womb?

And I know right, someone needs to come up with a drug, but then again: if periods are stopped, what happens the eggs?
I like this idea - absolutely terrified of the the thought of giving birth.
Original post by nivvy21
Hahah, but I think that if it is ever introduced, at first it would only be offered to people who cant have children without an artificial womb?

Probably, which would be entirely fair tbh.

And I know right, someone needs to come up with a drug, but then again: if periods are stopped, what happens the eggs?

To be honest, I don't give a **** :dontknow: if it stops the periods I'm happy!
Reply 38
The first thing I though of when I saw the news on this was.
Reply 39
Sounds interesting...As much as my current aversion to having kids is because they sound far too demanding and annoying, it's also because the idea of going through pregnancy and childbirth is absolutely disgusting.
If I were to consider having children in the future, this would be vastly preferable to me to having a natural pregnancy. However, I would have to know how it would affect the mother-child relationship as I suspect that would be rather lacking if I were to go for a natural pregnancy, and it would completely undermine my decision to have children if it were to dissapear entirely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending