The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

british asian accent

can u tell a difference between the way asian people born and bred in britain talk
do we talk/sound a little different
what do you make of it
by asian i mean south asians

Scroll to see replies

They all sound the same to me.
You sound different. I can tell.
Original post by Ribbit1234
can u tell a difference between the way asian people born and bred in britain talk
what do you make of it

What the ****, they aren't dogs.
I can tell and its quite irritating...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah for the majority it sounds a little ghetto
A lot of them do tend to have an accent, not really sure how you'd describe it.
Then again a lot of my asian friends don't have a 'different' accent at all.

It's really just the same as everyone else and depends on who you've grown up around. It's definitely more pronounced in people who live in asian-centric communities.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by pinda.college
What the ****, they aren't dogs.

Have you seriously never heard the phrase "born and bred" before?
Reply 8
LOL this reminds me of my call of duty days, for some reason you can tell an Asian by there accent, I've always wondered why though. Because even the ones that went to my schools growing up had a slight accent.
Original post by felamaslen
Have you seriously never heard the phrase "born and bred" before?

T'was a joke, next time I'll add an emoticon for the sarcasm.
(edited 10 years ago)
Everyone has accents, it not only Asians that have them. Black people have accents depending on where they were born and raised, likewise white people have accents.
Don't generalise. I am British Pakistani, born in Ireland but lived in London since i was 1. You would have thought that I was white, middle class and of English heritage if you spoke to me on the phone.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I can tell and its quite irritating...

Posted from TSR Mobile

:frown: bet you couldn't tell mine!
Reply 13
Yes. I can confirm some do have very distinctive accents. Fortunately, I'm not one of them.
Reply 14
As has been said everyone has an accent, generally you can notice a difference in accent in black people too. I think the Asian accents you're referring to are more common if you live and are always around only Asian. I couldn't say for sure but I don't think I have one because I can notice it other people and I probably wouldn't if it was normal to me? So I think I just have a normal accent for where I live.

I heard 2 guys talking today, both Asian but one had that Asian accent whilst the other had a southern accent which sound quite posh...I was a little surprised by it lol.
(edited 10 years ago)
It's like having any other British accent, it's based on the sounds we've grown up hearing , the rhythm of the speech we hear everyday, and what our mouth has become accustomed to.
For example, I know some children born in Yorkshire to parents from London. They sound like little Londoners despite being at school surrounded by Yorkshire accents and having all their friends and acquaintances speak that way.

I know British Chinese people who have a specific tone to their English that I don't hear in other speakers of English.

Eg. I think in languages like Punjabi, Urdu/Hindi there's no th like in that, the or like the one in through. So that sound gets hardened to dh like in dhaal for some British South Asians.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by BCcfc92
:frown: bet you couldn't tell mine!

I bet I could :yep:

Don't be sad, I have an accent too :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apparently I sound generic, well spoken and when younger used to sound 'black'.
Reply 18
Original post by Ribbit1234
what do you make of it

I think this man is half irish, half indian caste?

[video="youtube;Wguqvyjexig"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wguqvyjexig[/video]
Reply 19
Ghetto accent and 'innit' isn't used by white people. Many of them live in poorer working class areas which is probably why. It depends on whether the asian person has lived in an area with many other asian people or if they live with many white people. Who their friends are?

Latest

Trending

Trending