Alexthelion_Lee
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
We did an identifying organic compounds practical and there were some compounds that were positive for more than one group.
An alcohol decolourised bromine water?
A carboxylic acid decolourised bromine water?

I dont understand why they were positive for the alkene test when there are no C=C bonds...
username1253260
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
It replaces the OH group via nucleophillic substitution.
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
Simple chemical tests are prone to giving false positives, that's why we don't use them very often.

It's hard to say why without knowing the exact chemicals; for example if the alcohol was aromatic, like phenol, then that would react with bromine via electrophilic aromatic substitution. The carboxylic acid could react with bromine to give off HBr gas.

Or the bromine water wasn't the in the best condition to start with.
username1253260
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
Simple chemical tests are prone to giving false positives, that's why we don't use them very often.

It's hard to say why without knowing the exact chemicals; for example if the alcohol was aromatic, like phenol, then that would react with bromine via electrophilic aromatic substitution. The carboxylic acid could react with bromine to give off HBr gas.

Or the bromine water wasn't the in the best condition to start with.
How does bromine gas react with a carboxylic acid to give off HBr?
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by n00bfi)
How does bromine gas react with a carboxylic acid to give off HBr?
The bromine is in solution, but it can do something called alpha-substitution under acidic conditions:

RCH2COOH + Br2 ---> RCHBrCOOH + HBr

It's not very effective though - but I offer it as a possibility :p:
Pittitani
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Can bromine water React with aliphatic alcohol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.62%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.72%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (135)
25.81%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
8.22%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (252)
48.18%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.44%

Watched Threads