The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Women are less intelligent than men.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manchesterunited15
I don't know whether women are less intelligent or not, but they're certainly more emotional and less funny.

Emotions bad! Must...not...show...emotions....must...become...a...robot.
Hehehe, in Eurasia we'd call that 'very fat'

I+m+in+premade+just+now+you+jelly+_09f53cb54d4562e192e8f61d76599945.png
Reply 82
woman don't do as well bc they are not expected to or encouraged to in life, we also do not get the same oppertunities as men bc we are constantly being put down
Well considering that feminism is the belief that there should be equality for both sexes; politically, economically and socially there is absolutely no reason for you to be laughing..
Reply 84
Original post by Bridget Jones
Was about to go on a rant, but this. This post maaadee myyy daaay! Thank you! :woo: :adore:

Haha aww good to hear. I swear I was just so mad when I first read this thread!
Original post by cerlohee
Haha aww good to hear. I swear I was just so mad when I first read this thread!

Exactly. Pshht, idiots! I wonder what it would be like to be a man for a day and feeling oh so discriminated against? :rolleyes: I understand that both sexes are discriminated against, but this is just flawed reasoning!
Original post by thejamie99
The title is a belief that I personally believe in. Yes, intelligent women exist, but they are less in number.

Statistics exists for a reason, they give us a chance to make important and useful generalizations. Male Engineers outnumber female Engineers, because men are inclined towards engineering as they are more intelligent on average.

It's why I laugh at the idea of feminism, both genders are not equal. Society organized it's way like this because society is run by two sects of similar organisms with completely different hormonal profiles, societal trends will correlate with such hormonal profiles.

-Men are more likely to take risks; Men will dominate the business world.
-Women are safer drivers than men; men will be involved in more car accidents.
-Men are more hungry for sex than women; there will be more male rapists.

These things pan out by themselves, no one is forcing it. Both genders are fundamentally different with different drives and levels of ambition.

You make a thread about how men are more intelligent than women, and yet write complete and utter drivel in your OP? How ironic.

There are more male engineers because our society has discriminated against women for centuries. Male domination breeds male domination. It's not very hard to understand why a career where your gender is the extreme minority is less attractive.

You're talking about the importance of statistics, yet the one statistic you've mentioned is completely irrelevant!
Original post by betaglucowhat
Just to clarify, your admission that there are obstacles for women to be in a position to receive awards etc. that men do not face means you are accepting that your method of judging intelligence is worthless. Particularly because you're talking about historical achievement where the barriers to success facing women were even higher.

It actually demonstrates the opposite of what you're claiming and is used as evidence of structural discrimination against women - we know there is no gender difference in intelligence, we know there is no gender difference in academic/scientific performance etc. but these inequalities still persist.

It's primarily people who have nothing to do with science that believe there are gender differences in intelligence. Every science department up and down the country acknowledges that women are just as capable scientists as men but are structurally discriminated against, and is working towards breaking down those barriers. The body that represents the councils that fund research in the UK (RCUK) expects departments to be working towards that goal, and the NIHR explicitly links funding eligibility to working towards gender equality in STEM departments.

But still there are many cases where women and men spent the same amount of time practicing something but yet again women do not reach the levels some men manage to get to. Especially with chess which is a game where one can be a notable player at very young age.
I acknowledge the fact that women were not encouraged to do things like mathematics but I still do not think that it really played a major role. There are many men mathematicians who were not encouraged to do maths but passion prevailed. Examples will be Fermat who was a lawyer, Weirstrass who was "meant to be a politician/ lawyer", Riemann was also kind of forcibly sent to study theology..

It is a bit funny how many people so strongly oppose THE POSSIBILITY of difference of capabilities of men and women when it comes to some particular areas. I honestly can't tell whether it is the case or not but it might be.
For some reasons women really get offended by that hypothesis. The problem with the society is that they do not appreciate the role of women ( yeah I mean the traditional women roles). They are viewed as dumb housewives simply, which is quite ridiculous. Not everything is measured by problem solving skills. Nobody praises mothers of great scientists and mathematicians who brought them up and probably had a great influence on their achievements...
Original post by puma21
Exams aren't much of a measure of intelligence these days, they're closer to reflecting how many hoops you're willing to jump through.

Agreed. A level maths for example? Bleh. A level "use of maths" would be a better name.
men with these sorts of ideas prove this thread's title to be false.
Reply 90
People who say exams aren't a measure of intelligence = people who don't do well at exams.
people who are genuinely intelligent are usually are self assured enough not to have to flaunt it in order to re assure themselves of their intelligence and boost their ego.

don't like to generalise but not sure where that leaves our OP...
Original post by Chlorophile
You make a thread about how men are more intelligent than women, and yet write complete and utter drivel in your OP? How ironic.

There are more male engineers because our society has discriminated against women for centuries. Male domination breeds male domination. It's not very hard to understand why a career where your gender is the extreme minority is less attractive.

You're talking about the importance of statistics, yet the one statistic you've mentioned is completely irrelevant!

Stop talking nonsense. Women are pushed to go into science, maths and engineering now more than ever before. In fact it is much easier for a woman to get into university for engineering, maths and the sciences than it is for males because universities use laxer standards for them.

The absolute truth is that women's brains are wired differently to men and this gives them a disadvantage in the mathematical and scientific disciplines. Every statistic in the world supports this. And it's basic logic, supported by many top academics (including the former president of Harvard university, and Chairman to the federal reserve) who have not been tainted by marxist (everyone is equal, really!) and feminist propaganda.
Original post by Gibber96
People who say exams aren't a measure of intelligence = people who don't do well at exams.

Yeah of course..GCSEs / A levels are a measure of intellegence :biggrin:
Original post by DarthVador
Stop talking nonsense. Women are pushed to go into science, maths and engineering now more than ever before. In fact it is much easier for a woman to get into university for engineering, maths and the sciences than it is for males because universities use laxer standards for them.

The absolute truth is that women's brains are wired differently to men and this gives them a disadvantage in the mathematical and scientific disciplines. Every statistic in the world supports this. And it's basic logic, supported by many top academics (including the former president of Harvard university, and Chairman to the federal reserve) who have not been tainted by marxist (everyone is equal, really!) and feminist propaganda.

This is absolute nonsense! The statistics are only a reflection of our society's failures. There is absolutely zero scientific evidence to show that women are intrinsically worse at STEM subjects that men.
This is absolute nonsense! The statistics are only a reflection of our society's failures. There is absolutely zero scientific evidence to show that women are intrinsically worse at STEM subjects that men.

Every "scientific evidence" is based on statistics btw.
Original post by hassassin04
Every "scientific evidence" is based on statistics btw.

No. Scientific understanding is based on how the brain actually works, not on employment statistics.
Original post by Elmi
Completely agree with you, not only are men and women biologically different, it is instinctual by the fact that women are more emotional and better in verbal skills. Years ago nature shows how men use to hunt for food, whilst women would take care of the child.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I disagree with verbal skills.
No. Scientific understanding is based on how the brain actually works, not on employment statistics.

And how one concludes how the brain works? By conducting experiments and observations which are repeated many times...
Original post by hassassin04
And how one concludes how the brain works? By conducting experiments and observations which are repeated many times...

Yes. And not a single one of these experiments has come to your conclusion.

Latest

Trending

Trending