The Student Room Group

Should Halal and Kosher meat be illegal in the UK?

Poll

Should Halal and Kosher meat be illegal?

The argument against the slaughter rituals is usually one regarding animal rights as the animals are not stunned, leaving them subject to intense pain.

Any other comments on the subject are very welcome.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ijamess
The argument against the slaughter rituals is usually one regarding animal rights as the animals are not stunned, leaving them subject to intense pain.

If we don't think an animal has the right to life as meat eaters, then we should value human rights above those of animals.
It is causing unnecessary harm to animals.

As i have stated before if a "Sect" wanted to insert its penis into an animals bottom before death we would on humane grounds ban it. I don't see how this is any different? why not kill an animal in a more humane way.
Reply 3
On one hand I think it is a huge cruelty to animals and should be illegal for that reason. However, I respect that it takes into consideration two main religious groups whereby I think maybe it's alright but should be minimized to restaurants of that culture.

I'm a Sikh and we don't eat halal or kosher but many restaurants are adjusting and changing to just serving these meats which I find difficult

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I thought the point of Halal was to cause the animal the least pain before they die... have I been misinformed?
Reply 5
With halal meat they cut a certain throat vessel so as to allow the blood to leave the body I think. That's what I was told by a friend

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xsindy
I thought the point of Halal was to cause the animal the least pain before they die... have I been misinformed?

It was the most humane way at the time of writing, but modern methods are better now as they cause instant unconsciousness
Original post by ijamess

Most Halal meat in the UK is pre-stunned, according to the RSPCA:
http://www.rspca.org.uk/ImageLocator/LocateAsset?asset=document&assetId=1232719611043&mode=prd
(edited 10 years ago)
I find it a little odd that this Halal/Kosher meat issue receives so much attention though, on the basis of a supposed few seconds of pain per animal.

Consider for example, that in many cases it is legal to feed one live animal to another i.e. allowing an animal to be mauled to death by a dog/cat/lion/snake etc. before being eaten. (And this happens in the wild all the time, which we make little attempt to prevent - rather we videotape it and put it on TV for everyone to see in a documentary.) After catching fish, allowing them to die of stress/suffocation on land, or simply gutting them alive is the common practice. Besides food - it is legal to catch mice in mouse traps that break their back and often don't cause instant death. It is legal to use rat poison to cause them to die considerably slow deaths. Shooting various animals for sport is also legal.

Slightly disproportionate? Of course it is. But no prizes for guessing why :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by AWJChadders
It was the most humane way at the time of writing, but modern methods are better now as they cause instant unconsciousness

So if I were to want to slaughter say, a chicken, and using the modern methods" which is the electric water bath, you would stand by your assertion that the chicken I have placed there would not feel an iota of pain when it is being stunned and when it is being slaughtered?
Reply 10
Original post by Bill_Gates
It is causing unnecessary harm to animals.

As i have stated before if a "Sect" wanted to insert its penis into an animals bottom before death we would on humane grounds ban it. I don't see how this is any different? why not kill an animal in a more humane way.

Which is what? Allowing it to die "naturally"?
Original post by tsr1269
Which is what? Allowing it to die "naturally"?

Which is causing the minimum amount of harm. If a murderer was to kill you, Would you rather have your throat half cut and you lye there in your own blood for hours or would you rather have a quick death causing you less harm?!

Hmm you don't have to be Einstein to know the answer to that. But you do need years of brainwashing to believe otherwise.
Reply 12
Which is causing the minimum amount of harm. If a murderer was to kill you, Would you rather have your throat half cut and you lye there in your own blood for hours or would you rather have a quick death causing you less harm?!

I wouldn't care if I "lye [sic] there in my own blood for hours" because I would have been dead for "hours".

Hmm you don't have to be Einstein to know the answer to that. But you do need years of brainwashing to believe otherwise.

Would you rather be hung upside down, placed inside an electric water bath, have varying amounts of "painful" electricity sent up your ass which may or may not be enough to stun you and then wrenched back up and sent down the line to the mechanised guillotine hoping that the stun lasts long enough for you to experience a little less pain?
Original post by tsr1269
I wouldn't care if I "lye [sic] there in my own blood for hours" because I would have been dead for "hours".

Would you rather be hung upside down, placed inside an electric water bath, have varying amounts of "painful" electricity sent up your ass which may or may not be enough to stun you and then wrenched back up and sent down the line to the mechanised guillotine hoping that the stun lasts long enough for you to experience a little less pain?

LOL the animal (you) is not always dead with the halal method right away. Whereas other humane methods offer a much quicker/instant death.

How brainwashed are you really?
Reply 14
LOL the animal (you) is not always dead with the halal method right away. Whereas other humane methods offer a much quicker/instant death.

Could you tell me how long it takes for a chicken to die using the Dhabihah/Shechita method and how long it takes a chicken to die using the stunning method?

How brainwashed are you really?

I responded to your question now be a good chap and answer mine:

"Would you rather be hung upside down, placed inside an electric water bath, have varying amounts of "painful" electricity sent up your ass which may or may not be enough to stun you and then wrenched back up and sent down the line to the mechanised guillotine hoping that the stun lasts long enough for you to experience a little less pain?"
Original post by tsr1269
Could you tell me how long it takes for a chicken to die using the Dhabihah/Shechita method and how long it takes a chicken to die using the stunning method?

I responded to your question now be a good chap and answer mine:

"Would you rather be hung upside down, placed inside an electric water bath, have varying amounts of "painful" electricity sent up your ass which may or may not be enough to stun you and then wrenched back up and sent down the line to the mechanised guillotine hoping that the stun lasts long enough for you to experience a little less pain?"

It is scientifically proven the current methods we use in the UK are more humane and cause less pain to the animal than the halal method. I'd rather not get into details and post videos of how barbaric halal meat is made.

Of course i do agree some other methods similar to the halal method are also barbaric. Where modern tools are not available.
If you're prepared to allow animals to die simply because you enjoy the flavour of them (when there are a vast amount of other things you could eat with all the essential nutrition you need) then I think complaining about how those animals lose their lives is pretty arbitrary.
Reply 17
It is scientifically proven the current methods we use in the UK are more humane and cause less pain to the animal than the halal method. I'd rather not get into details and post videos of how barbaric halal meat is made.

I'm not asking you to "post videos". If I wanted you to do that, I would have asked you to verify if the videos depicted Dhabihah/Shechita according to the instructions contained within their holy books.

All I'm asking for is the time it takes a stunned chicken to die and an unstunned chicken to die...

Of course i do agree some other methods similar to the halal method are also barbaric. Where modern tools are not available.

That is the current method, are you seriously calling the "modern methods" barbaric?

If not, then could you tell us how you would stun a chicken?
Reply 18
As long as it is stunned prior to slaughter I don't really give a toss.
Original post by tsr1269
I'm not asking you to "post videos". If I wanted you to do that, I would have asked you to verify if the videos depicted Dhabihah/Shechita according to the instructions contained within their holy books.

All I'm asking for is the time it takes a stunned chicken to die and an unstunned chicken to die...

That is the current method, are you seriously calling the "modern methods" barbaric?

If not, then could you tell us how you would stun a chicken?

Oh god. You are merely running around in circles to get away from the point, did you not read what i said? do you take modern society as stupid and they somehow bend their morality towards your warped way of thinking?!

This conversations over cannot spend an evening debating with people who are not all there. BAN HALAL!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending