The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is sexual attention harassment from unattractive men, flirting from attractive men?

This handy video with superbowl-winning quarterback Tom Brady is relevant (it starts about 10 seconds in):

[video="youtube;PxuUkYiaUc8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxuUkYiaUc8[/video]

What do you think? What can be done to reduce sexual harassment? Should we try to build technology to turn every guy into Tom Brady? What should unattractive men do to avoid being creepy?

Scroll to see replies

This supposed 'Sexual Harassment' could be reduced if men deemed by many to be unattractive took an alternate approach to flirting. Their looks won't do them favours so why don't they try to attract the women by showing their other qualities? (If they have any)
loled. Sad thing is its actually true. I am fairly decent looking and have had experiences with girls where they literally laugh at ANYTHING you say and everything you do is 'adorable' even if you're awkward as ****. And I've had friends that just get called creepy and ugly. The majority of women are really up at the top of the shallow scale. Most have a big checklist of stuff they want. Just stay away from them and wait for a nice one lol.

You should just focus on yourself and let a good one fall into your life.
Unless you just want to sleep around, then you can just go to pubs and clubs and pick up slooty girls.
(edited 10 years ago)
No. There are some creepy good-looking dudes, just like I've come across creepy hot girls.
Corresponding breasts and vaginas do make us irresistible.

I've been harassed by attractive guys. Being attractive isn't a get out of jail free card. These ones are more difficult to deal with because they just don't take no for an answer. The worst one I dealt with became physical when I kept rejecting him.

Being unattractive doesn't suddenly make you creepy; it's just that some guys who aren't so confident in themselves do come across a little bit more creepy in the way they present themselves because they seem so afraid of being rejected so they think that if they seem more eager then there's little chance of being rejected. They probably don't realise this. It's all in the mind.

A lot of girls do tend to misinterpret body language. From what I've seen it's the ones with lower confidence levels who delude themselves into thinking every guy is a perv because they so badly want to be wanted in that way so they make bull**** up without even realising - they think some guy smiling at them just screams "get naked, I want you now!" I have to deal with seriously creepy guys whenever I'm out so I've learnt to distinguish between creepy guys and normal guys who the wrong girls can easily mistake for creepy guys. What I mean is I've heard some guys whisper obscene things in my ears as I'm doing something completely innocent like walking through a shopping centre, or when some guy is with his wife and kids he will look back toward me and give the creepy perv look (if you've seen my gifs of the creepy perv with that horribly violating smile then you'll know what I'm talking about). However I've also dealt with more harmless guys who simply give a sweet smile and that's the end of that, yet when I'm with friends suddenly it's "omg Vixen that guys perving on you!" Thankfully I can't tolerate bull**** so when when my friends are being idiots like this then I feel obliged to correct them and defend the poor guy.

It's absolutely ridiculous. I feel sorry for guys. You just can't win.
Reply 5
I think there is actually some truth in this, but like a previous poster said; you can get seriously creepy attractive men. I've met a few, unfortunately.
Reply 6
It's actually true for some girls, who are dumb hoes, but not for all.
Reply 7
There's no way to define "attractive" men and "unattractive" men. So what you've basically said is "women will sometimes be receptive to flirting with men that they find attractive". Well gee, who knew?!

Flirting becomes harassment when one party expresses disinterest or is obviously uncomfortable/just tolerating the advances. It doesn't matter how attractive the persuer is.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Aivicore
There's no way to define "attractive" men and "unattractive" men. So what you've basically said is "women will sometimes be receptive to flirting with men that they find attractive". Well gee, who knew?!

Flirting becomes harassment when one party expresses disinterest or is obviously uncomfortable/just tolerating the advances. It doesn't matter how attractive the persuer is.

Do you really believe that beauty is 100% subjective?
Reply 9
Original post by PythianLegume
Do you really believe that beauty is 100% subjective?

Not 100%, but largely. Regardless, I think the point that followed still stands.
(edited 10 years ago)
The only way for the unattractive blerk to avoid offending womens sensibilities, and indeed, to stay the right side of the law, is by avoiding them entirely if at all possible.
Original post by Aivicore
Not 100%, but largely. Regardless, I think the point still stands.

Physical attractiveness/beauty is clearly not subjective. There are plenty of studies that show fairly good correlations between people's perceptions of who is beautiful, and that people perceive attractive people to be better at just about everything.
Reply 12
A stranger becomes "creepy" after they try to flirt with you even after you have rejected their previous advances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by PythianLegume
Physical attractiveness/beauty is clearly not subjective. There are plenty of studies that show fairly good correlations between people's perceptions of who is beautiful, and that people perceive attractive people to be better at just about everything.

Of course there are fairly vague characteristics which are generally considered to be attractive in both sexes - I'm not arguing with that. But regardless of those vague characteristics, you can't deny that people have individual tastes on top (subjectivity), which is why I felt the need to point out that a woman may be receptive to someone she finds attractive, which may or may not be a stereotypically attractive man, so the OP's point is redundant.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
No. There are some creepy good-looking dudes, just like I've come across creepy hot girls.

This. Creeps gonna creep
Hmmm ... to be honest, I'd be lying if I said this weren't at least partly true.
Reply 16
Original post by Vixen47

Being unattractive doesn't suddenly make you creepy; it's just that some guys who aren't so confident in themselves do come across a little bit more creepy in the way they present themselves because they seem so afraid of being rejected so they think that if they seem more eager then there's little chance of being rejected. They probably don't realise this. It's all in the mind.

It's absolutely ridiculous. I feel sorry for guys. You just can't win.

Spot on here.
Reply 17
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

So true
Reply 18
I find it hard to be friends with hot girls, let alone ask them out loool. I have zero confidence, although I'm not unattractive, but I don't think I'm attractive either. Ah fml.
Original post by Maid Marian
Hmmm ... to be honest, I'd be lying if I said this weren't at least partly true.

*suicides*

Latest

Trending

Trending