The Student Room Group

If you could choose to get rid of racism or homophobia in society, which would it be

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jophesxi
Why should they keep it to themselves?

And why are you implying that racism only occurs against black people?

So they don't suffer from direct homophobia

Black people are an example. I'm not going to state every race am I
Original post by Liberalists
So they don't suffer from direct homophobia

Black people are an example. I'm not going to state every race am I

Why is it not the fault of those being homophobic but the fault of homosexuals that want to be themselves?

You didn't state it as an example, it was directly implied that racism was committed against black people.
Reply 62
Racism is worse though.

I don't think homophobia is much of a problem as long as you keep it to yourself and don't shove it down everyone's throats. If you're gay then good for you, but no one else wants to hear about that ****.
If they can keep it to themselves they won't be victims of direct homophobia. Whereas being black is near impossible to keep secret.

1. Why should they keep their sexuality secret?
2. How do they keep it secret? That requires a very limited life style where they essentially won't be able to integrate into their community.
3. You're really suggesting they should keep their relationships secret?
4. Why should they keep their relationships secret?
5. How should they keep their relationships secret?

There are more races than black or white, not all are judged by skin colour.
Original post by TolerantBeing
The only people who ever say that kind of thing, are ironically, homophobes.

And why should they hide their sexuality? Anyone who has a relationship with someone of the same sex will be noticed, unless you never live together and are barely seen together?

I am not homophobic. I'm also not saying they should hide their sexuality. I'm simply saying that the endless campaigns where the message seems to be trying to force people to embrace homosexuals - is wrong. You can't force people to change their opinion, but this (to me) sounds like what they're trying to do most of the time.
Homophobia is different to racism. In the fact that one you you have to accept the other you choose to accept. In my situation, I accept homosexuals, but I'm not comfortable being round them. And for race, you have to accept race. And I'm comfortable being around different races

Posted from TSR Mobile
"I'd get rid of all the poofters and promote homophobia AND racism. Anyone up for Holocausting some *******?" - Nigel Faraj of Upik (not to be affiliated with Nigel Farage of UKIP)
Why is it not the fault of those being homophobic but the fault of homosexuals that want to be themselves?

You didn't state it as an example, it was directly implied that racism was committed against black people.

I said it was a consequence

Bohooo I didn't say 'example', go cry some more. Pretentious nob

Original post by TolerantBeing
1. Why should they keep their sexuality secret?
2. How do they keep it secret? That requires a very limited life style where they essentially won't be able to integrate into their community.
3. You're really suggesting they should keep their relationships secret?
4. Why should they keep their relationships secret?
5. How should they keep their relationships secret?

There are more races than black or white, not all are judged by skin colour.

Idc if they keep it a secret. They already know they are likely to suffer the consequences.. where there's a will, there's a way.
I said it was a consequence

Bohooo I didn't say 'example', go cry some more. Pretentious nob

Idc if they keep it a secret. They already know they are likely to suffer the consequences.. where there's a will, there's a way.

Have you actually got anything worthwhile to contribute?

Well racism can be committed against any race of person.. but 9 times out of ten you see racism being committed against a black person.
speaking as ex-gay, racism. Knowing man, this is never going to happen anyway.

I feel very sorry for homosexuals that are living in religious environments.
Reply 71
What you've said is completely subjective and based upon the fact that you believe homosexuality is a choice.

But why would people choose to be gay, if, with what you're saying, they've got a life free of a harassment if they chose to be straight instead? It doesn't make sense??

Yes it is subjective, the author of the thread asked for an opinion. I also did write 'in my personal opinion'. I personally, do not hold any negative feelings towards gay people. Infact all the gay people that I have met have been really nice to me, and I enjoyed their company.

Doesn't make sense? A life free of harassment? Well that wouldn't make you want your object of your desire any less. If you really wanted to be with someone, and knew you would be harassed for it forever- would you do it? Its as simple as this, Do you want to please everyone, or yourself?

In terms of rape, going back to my example, if lets say a guy rapes a girl fully knowing the consequences of his actions, why would he choose to rape her knowing he could spend his life at home, instead of in prison? Its not really as simple as that my friend.
Reply 72
Original post by Jakebarker1605
Homophobia is different to racism. In the fact that one you you have to accept the other you choose to accept. In my situation, I accept homosexuals, but I'm not comfortable being round them. And for race, you have to accept race. And I'm comfortable being around different races

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why are you not comfortable being around homosexuals? Are you insecure in your own sexuality? I'd advise you to not flatter yourself into thinking they want you, they probably don't.
Original post by KingStannis
Neither. People should be able to think what they ****ing want.

Yes but the fact is in both cases the problem extends beyond people just having racist/homophobic thoughts.
Original post by Marcum
Why are you not comfortable being around homosexuals? Are you insecure in your own sexuality? I'd advise you to not flatter yourself into thinking they want you, they probably don't.

Hahahaha, behave you soft sod. No, I accept them. Doesn't mean I have to embrace them. I accept all religions, I'm not gonna put my name down for every mosque or church in the country

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Original post by Jakebarker1605
Hahahaha, behave you soft sod. No, I accept them. Doesn't mean I have to embrace them. I accept all religions, I'm not gonna put my name down for every mosque or church in the country

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know you accept homosexuals, I read your post. I'm also not trying to change your views, I am genuinely interested why you are uncomfortable in the presence of homosexuals.
Racism - it's much more widespread, I think.
Original post by boxed treasures
speaking as ex-gay, racism. Knowing man, this is never going to happen anyway.

I feel very sorry for homosexuals that are living in religious environments.

Ex-gay?
Reply 78
They shouldn't even be comparable. Racism most definitely, it is a far bigger issue whereas homophobia isn't as such. Plus I feel your sexuality is definitely a social construct anyway. Whereas you are born with your race.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ex-gay?

i turned bi fairly recently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending