The Student Room Group

Should Islamophobia be illegal?

Poll

Should Islamophobia be illegal?

Should Islamophobia be treated as a hate crime?

Scroll to see replies

If you support the concept of hate crime, I don't. Harrassment, abuse, etc should be a crime whoever it's aimed at. Of course picking on Muslims should be punished just like any other group.
Reply 2
Original post by Mankytoes
If you support the concept of hate crime, I don't. Harrassment, abuse, etc should be a crime whoever it's aimed at. Of course picking on Muslims should be punished just like any other group.

Yeh I think all this negative stuff about this lady who's been stoned to death by her father is terrible. I mean it's just their culture. People are just generating hate against Islam by condemning it, but Islam is the religion of peace, am I right?

I think it's fine to criticize Christians but I think criticizing Islam is just racism. Who's to say that the way they live their lives is worse than ours? Maybe it would do us good to stone a few of our women to death.
Only if there's a threat or act of violence involved.

I'd prefer it to be illegal but I'm not sure there's any means to justify it, as it'll act as positive discrimination towards Muslims.
Original post by KingBradly
Yeh I think all this negative stuff about this lady who's been stoned to death by her father is terrible. I mean it's just their culture. People are just generating hate against Islam by condemning it, but Islam is the religion of peace, am I right?

I think it's fine to criticize Christians but I think criticizing Islam is just racism. Who's to say that the way they live their lives is worse than ours? Maybe it would do us good to stone a few of our women to death.

Eh? That isn't being Islamophobic. I don't think you know what the term means?

God, you aren't one of these "white nationalists" are you? You aren't going to copy and paste that stupid wall of text at me, are you?
Surely specifically saying that Islamophobia should be a hate crime is a cate crime itself, what about all the other types of discriminatory issues?
Reply 6
Aren't hate crimes because of someone's religion already illegal? I don't know why Islam would get special mention
Reply 7

God, you aren't one of these "white nationalists" are you? You aren't going to copy and paste that stupid wall of text at me, are you?

Everyone who criticizes Islam must be a white nationalist. It's not possible that they may simply have issue with ridiculous, misogynistic, homophobic ideologies.
Reply 8
Original post by Flauta
Aren't hate crimes because of someone's religion already illegal? I don't know why Islam would get special mention

Because Islam is le religion of peace.
Of course not.
hell no - freedom of speech is infinitely more important than people's will to not be offended. offence is nothing more than the sign of a weak-willed and unconfident person, which says a lot about the legitimacy of their religion if they get offended when people say critical things about it; it must therefore not be deserving of belief if the belief is so unstable that criticism so easily dismounts it. so why should free speech be blocked for the sake of a few islamic whiners? are they unable to fight of dissent on their own via intelligence/logic?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by KingBradly
Because Islam is le religion of peace.

If you say so.
That's like saying Arachnophobia should be made illegal so of course not. If some people are genuinely scared of Muslims do not punish them for it.
Reply 13
Original post by Algorithm69
Of course it shouldn't be illegal. I think Islamophobia is just a made-up word designed to tar critics of Islam (an ideology) as racist, prejudiced, bigoted or whatever other word you like to use. It is merely an attempt to stifle free speech and debate on a very important topic.

Although, I mean, really, why would anyone want to criticize or have an intense hatred for Islam? Certainly not gay people. Or women. Or anyone who wasn't born in the Bronze Age.

But Islam is the religion of peace. The American government says so, so it must be true. I was talking to a Guardian reader and he said because all brown people are by default Muslim, it's therefore racist to criticize Islam. I kinda thought it was a bit racist to think that all brown people are Muslim, cos I'm pretty sure they aren't, but apparently it is. I also thought it was a bit unfair to treat Muslims like handicapped people who can't deal with criticism, but he reads the Guardian so I guess he must be right.

In almost every middle eastern country and north African nation they are burning international flags, bibles, Torahs and anything to do with western culture and religion. If I went to Iran I am sure that I would be hated the second I walk in. Why should they get to hate on us but not the other way round???
Reply 15
Original post by GCSEsitter
No religion advocates violence: Christianity, Islam, Hinduism etc. I think that all expressed discrimination, verbal or physical should be illegal but not restricted to Islam. It should be illegal to attack or insult someone based on gender, race, sexuality, disability or anything of the sort.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But then where do you draw the line on what 'discrimination' is? Stuff that offends someone? Because that would be too restrictive, seeing as people can be offended by anything, and then people will just go overboard because they can, like the USA's suing culture.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16

The term seems to mean different things to different people. It's not uncommon for it to be thrown around at the first instance of criticism of the religion. Apparently, a lot of Muslims really really don't like their religion to be scrutinised and attacked (whether through criticism/satire/ridicule/insults) and consider it to be on par with racism or hate crime.

If criticism and insults of the mythology and reported history of Islam offends someone to the point that they would propose such "Islamophobia" to be illegal, then I would highly disagree with that proposal.
In a human rights case that came out of the pictures of the Prophet Mohammad in Denmark the European Court of Human rights said religious believers must tolerate and accept the denial by others of their religious beliefs but obviously there's a limit to the way in which the religions is denied. I think it hits the nail on the head, we should be able to criticise aspects of Islam such as the inherent sexism but it should be constructive and not be gratuitously offensive
Reply 18
Original post by GCSEsitter
No religion advocates violence: Christianity, Islam, Hinduism etc. I think that all expressed discrimination, verbal or physical should be illegal but not restricted to Islam. It should be illegal to attack or insult someone based on gender, race, sexuality, disability or anything of the sort.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh, I mean there is only like over a 100 verses of the Qu'ran that urge Muslims into violence. I wouldn't say that was 'encouragement' though.
There's a difference between disliking something/hating something and acting upon that hate. Obviously things like burning down mosques or killing Muslims should be illegal, but if you're not advocating hate and keeping your opinions to yourself then it's ok.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending