The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Poor people ruin nice towns.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A Mysterious Lord
It's not so much poor people per se, but I know what you mean, the whole image of a town can be spoilt by rows of pound shops/charity shops.

Not forgetting the pay-day loan company and the pawnshop :smile:
Original post by Alfissti
Not forgetting the pay-day loan company and the pawnshop :smile:

Yep.

These are town centres even Starbucks avoid.
Maybe I should make my own thread "pompous, stuck up people ruin the world" :rolleyes: .
Original post by Stinkum
What are you talking about? That's absolute nonsense. Poor people aren't necessarily bad, just because you're poor it doesn't mean you're bad. I'll tell you who the bad people that ruin towns really are:

- Chavs
- Criminals
- Drug dealers
- Loud people (including screaming babies and super loud obnoxious music)
- People who litter and throw their garbage on the streets
- Prostitutes

What does someone else's financial status have to do with you anyway? pfft

Because if there are lots of poor people then you are only going to attract shops such as poundland b&m iceland etc as opposed to top quality retail outlets this ruins the asthetics of a town.
I agree though the list of people thay you listed also ruin town centres.
Original post by blue n white army

Who agrees that poor people ruin nice towns? and why can't we move them all to birmingham,.

We'll gladly have them over rich ****ers any day.
OP you're a bit of a ****.
Plus, why the prejudice against Birmingham? My mum's from Brum and she has a Master's from Cambridge :tongue:
Lets be honest,most of Britain is a complete **** hole full of squalid little towns. They are all the same.

The grotty shopping mall

The groty high street filled with charity shops, filthy takeaways,amusement arcades and nail/tanning parlour

The deluxe housing development usually called something like The Larches,poachers hide, Beavers retreat or similar built of cardboard and full of people thinking themselves better because they have a merc to polish on sunday

The skanky council estate full of baby breeders ,smack heads, dole hoppers and ball fiddling jogging bottom wearing chavs

The immigrant "communities" full of a particular race eg pakistanis or whatever, now feeling marginalised by new immigrants challenging their previously unassailable position.

Of course you do have your rural idylls in the Cotswolds and similar. Thats usually where the very rich or member of Government live.

Many blinkered people who go to Uni think that they belong to the Cotswold group. Some do and some will but most will just get as far as The Larches and spend their lives servicing a mortgage, going on holiday to Spain, and polishing their three series Beemer. Life can be so predictable,,then you die.
i personally think that discarded cigarette butts and blobs of chewing gum add to the character of a town. it is marvellous seeing young people challenging orthodox norms of behavior and expressing their emotional issues through the media of swearing and violence. if only previous generations had had the confidence to behave in this way our towns would be far more exciting places to live.
Reply 28
"Top scientists have proved that if you give a working man a nice house he'll quickly let it fall into a state of filth and depravity - that's how he likes it!" - Mr Cholmondley Warner
Two generations ago these poor people would've been mining or producing goods for the global economy. Bring back the Dark Satanic Mills, that'll sort them out!

Original post by Limpopo
Lets be honest,most of Britain is a complete **** hole full of squalid little towns. They are all the same.

The grotty shopping mall

The groty high street filled with charity shops, filthy takeaways,amusement arcades and nail/tanning parlour

The deluxe housing development usually called something like The Larches,poachers hide, Beavers retreat or similar built of cardboard and full of people thinking themselves better because they have a merc to polish on sunday

The skanky council estate full of baby breeders ,smack heads, dole hoppers and ball fiddling jogging bottom wearing chavs

The immigrant "communities" full of a particular race eg pakistanis or whatever, now feeling marginalised by new immigrants challenging their previously unassailable position.

Of course you do have your rural idylls in the Cotswolds and similar. Thats usually where the very rich or member of Government live.

Many blinkered people who go to Uni think that they belong to the Cotswold group. Some do and some will but most will just get as far as The Larches and spend their lives servicing a mortgage, going on holiday to Spain, and polishing their three series Beemer. Life can be so predictable,,then you die.

Beautiful summary.
Original post by StarvingAutist
OP you're a bit of a ****.
Plus, why the prejudice against Birmingham? My mum's from Brum and she has a Master's from Cambridge :tongue:
If you have a master's from Cambridge you're automatically a respectable person :wink:
Original post by plasmaman
If you have a master's from Cambridge you're automatically a respectable person :wink:

I was appealing to OP's reasoning.

And I assure you, my mum is perfectly respectable :tongue:

Also, my physics teacher is a Brummie and he has a PhD. :lol:
Original post by betaglucowhat
The more important issue is that people like you are ruining the country.

No they aren't, he has raised a genuine concern that poor uncultured people destroy communities with their behaviour. This is a failure with the educational system, and them not taking responsibility.
(edited 9 years ago)
Can't argue with this actually. I worked for a few years in Dewsbury, historically a large market town well connected by rail (pre-WW2 probably a very up and coming nice place to live). Since WW2 and especially the rise of the service sector, Dewsbury has become infested with white poor people and Indian/Pakistan poor people. In the center i could probably count 20 shops just as hairdressers and pound shops. Plus empty shops.

Today it's run down, it's people have no money and it's generally not a very nice place. Huge council estates surround it. Indeed, it's famous for the kidnapped girl (from one of those estates) and one of the London bombers.

And this is a shame because as i say, it's got a lot of Victorian features and a large market still.

This was Dewsbury of old.

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Alfissti

Poor people don't make nasty towns, poor towns make people nasty :smile:

Disagree - there are some really nice parts near me that have been turned into no-go zones when dark because of the people that live there and the quality of the area.
Original post by Rakas21
Can't argue with this actually. I worked for a few years in Dewsbury, historically a large market town well connected by rail (pre-WW2 probably a very up and coming nice place to live). Since WW2 and especially the rise of the service sector, Dewsbury has become infested with white poor people and Indian/Pakistan poor people. In the center i could probably count 20 shops just as hairdressers and pound shops. Plus empty shops.

Today it's run down, it's people have no money and it's generally not a very nice place. Huge council estates surround it. Indeed, it's famous for the kidnapped girl (from one of those estates) and one of the London bombers.

And this is a shame because as i say, it's got a lot of Victorian features and a large market still.

i dont think being poor is an excuse though to be honest, this isn't absolute poverty and they get free education, it's their responsibility to use it (and their parents), they produce a cycle of poverty.
Original post by DErasmus
i dont think being poor is an excuse though to be honest, this isn't absolute poverty and they get free education, it's their responsibility to use it (and their parents), they produce a cycle of poverty.

Yup. Growing up in British poverty myself i blame council estates personally. They bunch poor people together so that children grow up surrounded by failure.
Reply 37
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
So its their fault they can't get jobs or decent education ?

Blame the poor :rolleyes:

Yes it is. Education is handed to people in Britain on a plate (I specify Britain so that you don't try talking about anywhere else).

Education that is capable of taking people to University to get degrees. Even if that is not the path they take, it is there, completely free. Yes I know that 'better' education comes from private schooling and paid private tutoring but any child or even adult in this country can get a good education just by putting some effort in.

A fair amount of (not all of) the poor gave up on school and education and so life has led them to remain or become poor. You can hear about quite a lot of stories (I can't think of any off the top of my head at the moment) about people from disadvantaged backgrounds who tried hard and succeeded (Alan Sugar, is an example. He may have left at 16 but still achieved an education which helped him in his career) just because they put the effort in.

Getting jobs is hard for everyone at the moment so I completely agree with you that that isn't their fault, however the education part is.

O/T: I agree that pound shops/cheap shops ruin the aesthetic of a nice town. I personally think my town is quite ugly, it's the oldest settlement in Britain but it just plastered with the remnants of 60's architecture in the town centre and most of the shops are fairly aesthetically pleasing, if only the actual buildings they inhabited looked nicer. There are quite a few council house neighbourhoods as well which are full of 30's houses and they just look horrible.
Badly run economies, an inadequate minimum wage, and a government run by people out of touch with reality ruin nice towns.
Original post by mscaffrey
Badly run economies, an inadequate minimum wage, and a government run by people out of touch with reality ruin nice towns.

Raising the minimum wage a pound or two won't make towns look nicer. To look nicer the town needs to transition from pound shops to cocktail bars and that requires the average salary being above the national average. In Yorkshire one could compare Dewsbury and Pudsey as evidence of this.

Latest

Trending

Trending