The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is britain such a dump

Scroll to see replies

Was can post 'I can relate' then saw it said Britain and not 'my Brain'
Living in UK, I can safely say that this country has become the biggest ***hole on Earth and I could create a BIG list on why it is. America is my dream. And no I'm not one of those brainwashed kids who thinks America's heaven or the streets there are paved with gold. I've been there and most importantly I've done my research. There are so many better options than f****** Britain....
Original post by Trapz99
Britain is probably the best or one of the best countries to live in. We have good education, healthcare, good infrastructure, relatively high incomes, a high quality of life and low unemployment.

hahahaha good joke...
Original post by P.M.H.
It's not only london that's a dump, all of england is a garbage dump...

The whole of Europe is lol..... So many better places like Canada, America, the rich arab countries and Aus but I dont really like Aus...
It would be silly to blame it on immigration, though the quality of the migrants does contribute to the crappy standards if various places.

But the way you do one thing is the way you do everything. Someone with such an awful standard of migrants, setting the bar so low as to who's allowed in, they'll also run public services badly, for example.
Reply 65
Original post by Typhoon235
I think people develop an opinion of the UK after they've spent some time in another country.
For example, I went to Iceland in April and Malta last summer, and I said both times that I'd rather live there than in the UK. Mainly because I had such good fun there, but also because I compared loads of things to similar stuff in the UK. General attitudes of the people is one thing- people in Malta and Iceland are so friendly.

Both the places you mention have the population of a small city. Smaller countries are naturally easier to control and govern, but they come with their downsides as well. If you like the trade though then by all means go live in one.
Reply 66
Original post by Soul Trance
Never understood why the high street must die at 5.30 pm, when in most parts of the world you can buy a coffee, a pair of shoes, a computer till pretty much midnight.

You clearly haven't travelled much around mainland Europe. Half of Italy shuts completely on a Sunday. And when I say completely I mean you couldn't even find somewhere to buy a bottle of water, let alone actually "go shopping", in many towns. Same goes for much of Switzerland, with the added bonus that they also shut on a Wednesday in many places.

They're opening hours into the evening are also similar to here.

Sure, there's places in Asia with 24/7 markets, but that's in part because these people have to work as many hours of the day as humanly possible to survive. You can't have it all.
Reply 67
Original post by Laomedeia
What Sanctimonious said. If I were in power I would:

Abolish speed cameras and fund proper police.
No foreign aid except in rare circumstances.
Living wage would be the minimum wage.
Lower business taxes and reduce red tape.
Unskilled and unemployed people would be put through training if they request.
Dole people would be made to work for their dole where possible, or lose it. The dole would pay an actual wage tho.
No immigrants or asylum seekers. I would adopt an Australian attitude.
No early release for prisoners regardless of improved behavior. Prisoners will pay in full for their crime.
Prisoners will only have the most basic of human rights: Eat, sleep and bath basically.

So we're left with little in the way of enforcement of speed limits, people at the top earning even more and the gap widening, no compassion for the rest of the world and likely the highest reoffending rate in modern history, resulting in more tax payers money having to be spent on housing prisoners.

Sounds like a brilliant plan.
Reply 68
Original post by jaden002
Britain is probably the worst place in the western world.

Last time I was in Greece there were burning piles of rubbish in the streets, you couldn't go 5 min without seeing the police chasing someone and they're economy is completely shot.

I went to America and there were huge homeless camps in the middle of cities, people would harass train passengers vocally in the middle of a crowded carriage and people wouldn't even look up and they wholesale shoot each other.

Canada's public infrastructure is some of the worst going, their prime minister is a wet flannel who's in power because of who he popped out of and they have less culture than a lump of rock.

Sure, our country is far from perfect. We have a government who lies to us and can't manage our money, along with a increasing divide of rich and poor, but every country has it's problems.
Reply 69
Original post by CAElite
Its the power private companies have over the state which no other nation puts up with

I'm assuming you haven't been to Italy?

There would also be much the same problem in Russia if their dictator leader and his cronies didn't own everything (same applies to much of the middles east etc) does that sound preferable?
Reply 70
Original post by Anonymous
And of course that s not for nothing they are called the HATE culture, they hate each other, anybody and everybody, they re mentally ill and health care is very poor too

By virtually every measure we have some of the best healthcare in the world...
Original post by Dheorl
Last time I was in Greece there were burning piles of rubbish in the streets, you couldn't go 5 min without seeing the police chasing someone and they're economy is completely shot.

I went to America and there were huge homeless camps in the middle of cities, people would harass train passengers vocally in the middle of a crowded carriage and people wouldn't even look up and they wholesale shoot each other.

Canada's public infrastructure is some of the worst going, their prime minister is a wet flannel who's in power because of who he popped out of and they have less culture than a lump of rock.

Sure, our country is far from perfect. We have a government who lies to us and can't manage our money, along with a increasing divide of rich and poor, but every country has it's problems.

mate...you're responding to a 3 yr old post :eyeball:
Reply 72
Original post by MovedMasterMike
Living in UK, I can safely say that this country has become the biggest ***hole on Earth and I could create a BIG list on why it is. America is my dream. And no I'm not one of those brainwashed kids who thinks America's heaven or the streets there are paved with gold. I've been there and most importantly I've done my research. There are so many better options than f****** Britain....

If you want to go to jail or work for one of the big 5 then year, the options are better. Otherwise I'm not quite sure what you're on about.
Reply 73
Original post by 0to100
mate...you're responding to a 3 yr old post :eyeball:

Meh, I don't like ignorance and stupidity being left uncontested on the internet. People who are reading this post now might be stupid enough to believe what he said.
Original post by Dheorl
Meh, I don't like ignorance and stupidity being left uncontested on the internet. People who are reading this post now might be stupid enough to believe what he said.

yyeeahhhhh..but I doubt anyone will believe such generalising tripe that it's the "worst" place in the west
Reply 75
Original post by 0to100
yyeeahhhhh..but I doubt anyone will believe such generalising tripe that it's the "worst" place in the west

Someone was stupid enough to type it in the first place...
Original post by Dheorl
Someone was stupid enough to type it in the first place...

Mate I dont disagree with you I'm just letting you know because sometimes people don't realise lol
Reply 77
Original post by 0to100
Mate I dont disagree with you I'm just letting you know because sometimes people don't realise lol

Don't realise what? That the thread is old or that there are stupid people in the world?
Original post by Dheorl
Don't realise what? That the thread is old or that there are stupid people in the world?

lol that the thread is old
but whatever maybe you'll rekindle the debate
Reply 79
Original post by 0to100
lol that the thread is old
but whatever maybe you'll rekindle the debate

The last little bit is new, other people rekindled it before me.

Latest

Trending

Trending