The Student Room Group

Overclocking

Has anyone tried to overclock and AMD durons, as I want to know if I can overclock my 1600MHz duron.
Reply 1
There's a good website called Overclockers and they have a forum section there. I'm sure you can find out a bit more about it there.

Here's the forum section if you're feeling lazy. :tongue:
Reply 2
G4ry
There's a good website called Overclockers and they have a forum section there. I'm sure you can find out a bit more about it there.

Here's the forum section if you're feeling lazy. :tongue:

thanks. I take it you are another computer geek
Reply 3
No, not really, i work with them and use them for games etc and have an interest. But i don't spend my weekends poking about with them and making water-cooling systems for them.
Reply 4
Applebred?

Should you overclock it?

Depending mainly on your cooling and motherboard, but I doubt you'll notice a huge improvement on general usage.

An extra 200mhz should be no problem for the applebred under any standard cooling (only apply when overclocking via multipliers)
Reply 5
another (better) site is http://www.hexus.net
go to the forums and ask them. they should be able to help you pretty well.

edit: btw, what motherboard are you using (if you know)?
Reply 6
paranoid_teen
Applebred?

Should you overclock it?

Depending mainly on your cooling and motherboard, but I doubt you'll notice a huge improvement on general usage.

An extra 200mhz should be no problem for the applebred under any standard cooling (only apply when overclocking via multipliers)

well, my SV266A has an option to put the CPU frequency between 133 and 165MHz, which seems very strange.
Reply 7
The AMD Duron 1600+ is one of the most overclockable CPUs, even more than the Duron 1800+. There have been many successful attempts to overclock it to at least 2Ghz with some running as fast as a AMD Athlon Thoroughbred 2200+. Helps to have a good HSF such as the Coolermaster Aero 7 with some Arctic Silver thermal paste.
Reply 8
chidori
The AMD Duron 1600+ is one of the most overclockable CPUs, even more than the Duron 1800+. There have been many successful attempts to overclock it to at least 2Ghz with some running as fast as a AMD Athlon Thoroughbred 2200+. Helps to have a good HSF such as the Coolermaster Aero 7 with some Arctic Silver thermal paste.

is arctic silver really *that* important? does it have that much of an effect on temperatures?

The Aero 7 rocks tho :biggrin: i have one of them babies sat in my main rig (overclocked by 400mhz) atm, and its excellent.
Reply 9
Well, Arctic Silver doesn't cost that much more than normal thermal paste but it shaves off 2-3C of your CPU temperature. I wasn't really bothered with it before as well but when I got my Shuttle SN45G, I decided to use some Arctic Silver along with the ICE HSF on my Duron 1.3Ghz and my CPU temperatures hardly goes above 40C. I might as well use the rest of my Arctic Silver in future CPU upgrades, especially when I get my AMD Mobile Barton 2500+ to replace my Duron 1.3Ghz in my Shuttle. Might even get a Zelman HSF because they are so goddamn silent.
2Ghz plus is simple enough with the new Durons... they need it though because they have less cache. :frown:

Excellent value for money though.

I'm "daz" over on overclockers btw, 7000 posts or so i have over there. :tongue:
chidori
Well, Arctic Silver doesn't cost that much more than normal thermal paste but it shaves off 2-3C of your CPU temperature. I wasn't really bothered with it before as well but when I got my Shuttle SN45G, I decided to use some Arctic Silver along with the ICE HSF on my Duron 1.3Ghz and my CPU temperatures hardly goes above 40C. I might as well use the rest of my Arctic Silver in future CPU upgrades, especially when I get my AMD Mobile Barton 2500+ to replace my Duron 1.3Ghz in my Shuttle. Might even get a Zelman HSF because they are so goddamn silent.

Will a zalman fit inside a shuttle?
Reply 12
dazmanultra
Will a zalman fit inside a shuttle?

I don't know myself but there are different shapes of the Zalmen HSF. There's the lovely flower-shaped one on overclockers, which should fit in the Shuttle. If you are talking about the massive copper heatsink ones with a f*cking massive fan on it, then no way!

Btw, I'm sharingan_sasuk on overclockers. Haven't been on the forum for weeks now. I was planning to get my Mobile Athlon 2500+ from there, plus some 256MB PC2700 DDR RAM from overclockers but I think I will wait for the prices to lower first.
It might be an idea to get PC3200 RAM so you know 100% that it will run at 200mhz FSB... that way you can just crank your XP2500 upto XP3200 speeds with no hassles straight away. :smile:

Some PC2700 might struggle at 200mhz, unless you up the volts and/or run slacker timings... AMD CPUs generally don't like slack timings.

Latest

Trending

Trending