The Student Room Group

linear spaces

Any able to explain why the inner product is not part of the vector space ???

Thank you
Original post by mickymouse1995

Thank you

One reason is that you can have different inner products on the same vector space.
What do you mean ??
What do you mean ??

E.g Rn\mathbb{R}^n has a standard inner product, but there are others.
Reply 4

Thank you

I'm not sure what you're after here but the inner product of two vectors in your vector space is a scalar and so cannot be "part of the vector space".

Have I missed your point?
Original post by ghostwalker
One reason is that you can have different inner products on the same vector space.
Another reason is that inner products only really make sense if the underlying field is R\mathbb{R} or C\mathbb{C}, but the idea of a vector space makes sense for any (non-trivial?) field.
Original post by DFranklin
Another reason is that inner products only really make sense if the underlying field is R\mathbb{R} or C\mathbb{C}, but the idea of a vector space makes sense for any (non-trivial?) field.

I've noticed recently that I'm tending to miss the major cause, and pick up on minor one - must by old age.
I've noticed recently that I'm tending to miss the major cause, and pick up on minor one - must by old age.
I'm not sure that this is any more "major" than your suggestion anyhow, but if it makes you feel better, it took a google search to find out that some vector spaces don't admit an inner product.
Original post by DFranklin
but if it makes you feel better

It does.

I was refering to my old age, just in case that wasn't clear.
I was refering to my old age, just in case that wasn't clear.
Yeah, I know that feeling...

Quick Reply

Latest