The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you hate Americans?

Scroll to see replies

Made in the USA
Ironically, the flag is supposed to be burned as a proper means of disposing it. I'm almost positive the government has published guides on this, but haven't been able to google anything on it.

Well, it doesn't involve unfurling it, lighting it on fire, and stomping on it, so they're not exactly doing it in the same manner. I've only ever heard of the flag disposal being done by members of the military. Usually, once a year, veterans organizations will have a collection of worn flags to properly dispose of them. I think there is some sort of ceremony to it, where it's folded a final time and gently placed in a fire.
psychic_satori
Well, it doesn't involve unfurling it, lighting it on fire, and stomping on it, so they're not exactly doing it in the same manner. I've only ever heard of the flag disposal being done by members of the military. Usually, once a year, veterans organizations will have a collection of worn flags to properly dispose of them. I think there is some sort of ceremony to it, where it's folded a final time and gently placed in a fire.

Unless they are veterans organizations like John Kerry's VVAW. That group used to participate in communist demonstrations where the flag was often burned and urinated on. Kerry even had a picture of a US flag being raised upside down on the cover of his book.
Reply 2122
Howard
Quite honestly, the US Constitution is such a liberal document that were it written today there wouldn't be a single Republican that would sign it. :wink:

I think it's a very liberal document when interpreted by very liberal judges.

Ask judge Robert Bork about it.
Lawz-
Well 51% of the US didnt vote for the republicans... 51% of those who VOTED, did ... which leaves a huge number who didnt ...

Not to mention the fact that of those who dont vote - the majority are likely to prefer a democratic president

It's hard to know for sure. Before the election, all the so-called election experts thought the undecided voters would break away from President Bush and vote for John Kerry. Undecided voters were more likely to give the president a negative approval rating and most thought the country was worse off now than four years prior to the last election. Surprisingly, it was a near 50/50 split when it came down to the wire and the undecided voters had to make a decision.

I think the president has a lot more support than people realized among people that are too apathetical to make up their minds or show up to vote.
Reply 2124
Lawz-
Not to mention the fact that of those who dont vote - the majority are likely to prefer a democratic president
I'd go as far as to say....the vast majority.
Reply 2125
i think this poll is quite stupid, as those who hate amercians are in fact racist... anti-amercianism, is just as bad as anti-semitism (intresting fact tha semitic people are genitcally the Arabs and the jewish people many people don't know that), anti-different coloured person.. anti-someone of different relgion, anti-french, anti-german, etc etc.

I think y'all should grow up, stop thinking of bust as an amercian and start thinking of him as coperate puppet that he his... also i hate the politcal correct brigade. There bloody christmas lights on that christmas tree during our christimas holiday, i am sure many english people know what i am saying and i hope they agree...

i want to wave a st-george flag on st-georges day i also want to get sloshed, he is our patron saint and although i am not chrisitan i want to clebrate his day dammit.
Reply 2126
Made in the USA
I can't help but wonder how many of you folks really understand the republican party and what it stands for. The party does not have any European counterpart that I know of. The modern republican party stands for the following:What about

-the promotion of organised religion (Christianity)

-a federal ban on gay marriages

-manipulating trade through the IMF and World Bank

-constant and questionable foreign involvement

-limited freedom of assembly (you now need government permission to protest)

These dont seem very republican in the traditional sense to me.
Reply 2127
Made in the USA
If you don't like our culture, you don't have to watch our TV shows, see our movies, eat our food, etc. Also, is it possible that the friendliness is genuine? If they are southern Americans, it's 100% authentic. These are people that are taught to have with good manners and be friendly from the day they were born and it can even confound a new yorker at times.

Don't misunderstand me. :eek: :frown:
I said it was 'different' and 'some people' find it superficial - and that is why some people hate America. But i don't agree with them - it's just the stereotype some people have of americans - please don't mistake that for my own beliefs.

I eat American takeaway (or takeout, whatever). The movies are, on the whole good, after all who else makes movies anyway (that are decent)? And yes, I watch American TV shows.

I hear this a lot. What's different about American tourists? Is it that they ask too many questions? I ask a lot of questions when I am in foreign countries because I want to learn as much as I can about a different culture.

From my experience, American tourists don't make too good an impression, but this is my own experience and not proven, and there must be people, like you, who are receptive and open-minded. Mind you, tourists on the whole are often pretty belligerent.

Not all Americans are obese. I'm 6'1" and 161 lbs (73 kg?), which is a far cry from being obese. I honestly have no idea how the data is collected, since I don't see many more fat people walking around than I do in other countries.

No, only 30% are. But it seen as an American thing*, why, I cannot fathom, since it is really a problem in the ENTIRE western world, and Australia, where I live, has similar rates of fatness.

I can understand why you might feel defensive, but please don't misunderstand me. Oh yeah, sorry for the late reply.

*NOT by me, by the "some people" who say that you (Americans) got what you deserve with the World Trade Centre attack, because of your apparent 'bullying' -- these are the people I am talking about who think like this, and these people DO exist. I know some of them and they are pretty dumb (as well as sickening).
Omg, u cant possible understand how much i hate them. I could go on for ever tellin u how much i hate them. I must admit though, they arent very good reasons e.g. the way the paper boys chuck the papers at the house and they clap at the end of movies!!!!!
Reply 2129
Are you kidding?
Reply 2130
can we have a middle poll value?

I dont have a problem with americans as a whole but is the american attitude and mentality that some americans have that i hate.

for example, the iraq war. This to me looks as thought it was a big excuse for america to enforce their power over the world to become the only super power, or the best super power.

There were no weapons of mass destruction in iraq and the government here knew that, therefore surely america must have known this as well.

Was this war america's place of policing the world where it is not their place to do so?

Anyone else agree?
Reply 2131
what the hell was that comment about?

Omg, u cant possible understand how much i hate them. I could go on for ever tellin u how much i hate them. I must admit though, they arent very good reasons e.g. the way the paper boys chuck the papers at the house and they clap at the end of movies!!!!!

have some REAL justification for your statements man!
Reply 2132
Moloktis

You watch too much tv.
I don't have any problems with the americans. :smile:
Americans have never done anything to me to make me hate them.
I have a better question:

What reason is there not to hate them?
Inverurie Jones

Ever wear a pair of jeans? What about something with a zipper? Ever use a little invention called a telephone?
Or the internet for that matter.
Reply 2138
Inverurie Jones

What are the advantages of being anti-American? It's trendy?
Reply 2139
spicu
for example, the iraq war. This to me looks as thought it was a big excuse for america to enforce their power over the world to become the only super power, or the best super power.

There were no weapons of mass destruction in iraq and the government here knew that, therefore surely america must have known this as well.

Was this war america's place of policing the world where it is not their place to do so?

Anyone else agree?
Firstly, the US was the only super power before the Iraq war. Secondly, your country also thought that there were WMDs and also went along with the war. Are you overlooking Britians involvement in the war in Iraq? I almost blame England more than I blame the US for the war. Britians approval and assistance helped to validate the war, without which, I dont think the war would of be as possible.

Tony Blair should have known what Bush was up to and told him to piss off, but nope........

Of all the things the US has done recently, Britian continues to give their approval and support thereby making it politically acceptable on a global stage.

Latest

Trending

Trending