The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you hate Americans?

Scroll to see replies

SlyPie
I wouldn't be arguing with Bismarck over politics/history if I were you. He's like a f*cking encyclopedia.

Should I take that as a complement or a thinly veiled insult? :p:

Since everyone always condemns America for not giving healthcare to everyone, how do the Brits feel about the NHS killing 2,000 Brits per year?
Reply 2981
Jianren

Why not? Is it really that hard to believe that some people have too much integrity to be irrationally superficial?

Not really.
Reply 2982
Bismarck
Should I take that as a complement or a thinly veiled insult? :p:

Since everyone always condemns America for not giving healthcare to everyone, how do the Brits feel about the NHS killing 2,000 Brits per year?

I want to go on record as NOT being Anti-American, and I'm NOT attacking your system; just defending ours. Those Brits have died through accidental mistakes and treatment/facilities that weren't as good as they should have been. They died while people were TRYING to save them. In the USA, people are probably dying because nobody's bothering to put even that much effort into it.
Jianren
I want to go on record as NOT being Anti-American, and I'm NOT attacking your system; just defending ours. Those Brits have died through accidental mistakes and treatment/facilities that weren't as good as they should have been. They died while people were TRYING to save them. In the USA, people are probably dying because nobody's bothering to put even that much effort into it.

That's a bunch of BS. Hospitals are required by law to give you any and all necessary treatment, even if they know you cannot afford it. If you refuse treatment because you're thinking about the bills, it's not the fault of the hospital.
Reply 2984
psychic_satori
That's a bunch of BS. Hospitals are required by law to give you any and all necessary treatment, even if they know you cannot afford it. If you refuse treatment because you're thinking about the bills, it's not the fault of the hospital.

Quite true, many people do not know this.

However, doctors in whatever country cannot save EVERYONE. It's just impossible.

Salla:

"the basic things that annoy me" ....but if these things don't apply fully to the americans you know, how can the deduction of the "americans" be valid?
It's irrational, it's like applying a stereotype to the finns, and putting an exxageration on top of it, to create a total "cartoon character stereotype" of them. That's what I see a lot of on these boards.

If it was made up of palestinians and north koreans, then there MIGHT be a justifiable anger against all the american people....maybe..it would be a stretch.

One thing I seem to notice is, for people who have never been to the US, (and don't ever plan on going) , "America" to them seems to be whatever the media says about the government.

Questioning this media seems to be an afterthought. And basically when it come to the "people", it's stereotypical images galore. :eek:
Reply 2985
psychic_satori
I dont think that she is talking about the hopsitals so much as she is talking about the sytem. And in the US, the system is beyond broken. There are estimated to be over 50 million Americans who currently have no health insurance.
Kondar
I dont think that she is talking about the hopsitals so much as she is talking about the sytem. And in the US, the system is beyond broken. There are estimated to be over 50 million Americans who currently have no health insurance.

No health insurance doesn't mean no health care.
Reply 2987
psychic_satori
No health insurance doesn't mean no health care.
To many it does. I dont have health insurance right now, I dont even consider going to the doctor.. way too much hassle.
Kondar
To many it does. I dont have health insurance right now, I dont even consider going to the doctor.. way too much hassle.

That's by your own choice. If your priorities place money above your health, that's not the fault of the system.
Reply 2989
psychic_satori
That's by your own choice. If your priorities place money above your health, that's not the fault of the system.
Satori, are you really trying to assert that everything if fine and dandy when it comes to health care in the US? The US is not the best at everything, Britian, despite occasional mistakes (which of course, never happens in the US) has a pretty good health care system. The same cannot be said of the US. When you have a 1/5 of your population outside the system, then the system is broken.

Health insurance would cost me over $1500 a month as I had cancer at the age of 10. That is not currently a realistic option for me.
--------------
and BTW- British girls are MUCH easier than American girls.
Reply 2990
Salla
I don't really understand what you are meaning with this. I said I've met also nice people but their views often are different from the majority of people. I mean, the basic mentality can be seen when viewing the bigger picture.

It's just the basic things that annoy me in Americans. It's not that I couldn't get along with people just because some of their elements that have been rooted so deeply in their mind.

I would still vote yes.. I see what is everyone's point in saying "you can't judge the whole group of people just because of their government or lifestyle" but the whole image stays on the negative side so that's why I voted like I did.

Hmm, I have forgotten the issue here. :>
You do understand that America has roughly the same population as the entirety of western Europe, also about the same landmass and is equally diverse across political, economic and ethnic lines, right? (probably even more diverse ethnicly)

You know that the difference between New York and Los Angeles is just as big as the difference between London and Rome, right?

You know almost half of all American voted against Bush in the last election and that more than half did in 2000, right?

You know that the country existed before Bush and will continue to exist after Bush, right?

Ridiculous blanket statements like many of the ones in this thread are not worth discussing.
Kondar
Satori, are you really trying to assert that everything if fine and dandy when it comes to health care in the US? The US is not the best at everything, Britian, despite occasional mistakes (which of course, never happens in the US) has a pretty good health care system. The same cannot be said of the US. When you have a 1/5 of your population outside the system, then the system is broken.

Health insurance would cost me over $1500 a month as I had cancer at the age of 10. That is not currently a realistic option for me.

If Britain's system is so stellar, then why are US hospitals considered better by just about every international ranking?

1/5 of the population isn't "outside the system." Your statement implies that those without health insurance will not receive treatment, which is just a lie. If you were in need of treament and sought it, you would receive treatment. I would rather pay more money for prompt, exemplary medical care, than wait months for appointments, receive bare-bones care, and wait forever for necessary surgeries. That's just me, though. I like my health.
--------------
Kondar

and BTW- British girls are MUCH easier than American girls.

They'd have to be...look at their options... :wink:
Isnt it true in America that you have to pay for an Ambulance? I read somewhere that some people wont call an Ambulance when someone is dying on the street, but instead call the police. That way when the police finally call for one, its charged to the city not the individual.
Reply 2993
Wkd_Intent
Isnt it true in America that you have to pay for an Ambulance? I read somewhere that some people wont call an Ambulance when someone is dying on the street, but instead call the police. That way when the police finally call for one, its charged to the city not the individual.
Yes, an ambulance ride will cost you a FORTUNE. You have to pay even if they police call it in.
psychic_satori
If Britain's system is so stellar, then why are US hospitals considered better by just about every international ranking?

Sorry, where are these rankings? I am having trouble finding them.
Kondar
Yes, an ambulance ride will cost you a FORTUNE. You have to pay even if they police call it in.

How much are we talking here?
Reply 2996
$1,000 +
Kondar
$1,000 +

nah your having a laugh, surely. Thats bloody ridiculous.
ChemistBoy
Sorry, where are these rankings? I am having trouble finding them.

Well, it's not like there's a foundation or anything, but some magazine did a comprehensive study on the satisfaction with hospitals in North America and Western Europe. I'll have to try to track down the magazine later. Right now I have to go to P. Chem.
Reply 2999
Thats because the American health system is privatised. Therefore, silly, and ignoring the great American Under Class that has, and at this rate probably always will be there

Latest

Trending

Trending