Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salla)
    I need an explanation now. :>
    Um not sure if I should have said that. I was being a bit of a ****-stirrer:

WW2... Finland was an ally of Germany.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    WW2... Finland was an ally of Germany.
    I'm aware of that but I still see it has nothing to do with the matter here.

And actually we were allies against our own will. Germany just decided to "help" us around with the Soviet Union at that time. The USA didn't have much to do with Finland, it only weakened the German forces.. I don't have any reason to hate the American worldview for that. I find this case pretty much closed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zooropa)
    Sure you can.
    Oh my god - how come you have soo many red gems?

Also back to the topic i dont see why people should hate the American public - if they were to hate anything about America, surely it would be its government?

ReputationRep:
    I hate the American culture, goverment and monopolies.

Thats waaaaaaaay too much of a generalisation

ReputationRep:
    I frigging love American people. No more than two a day week though, as I'm watching my figure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salla)
    I'm aware of that but I still see it has nothing to do with the matter here.

And actually we were allies against our own will. Germany just decided to "help" us around with the Soviet Union at that time. The USA didn't have much to do with Finland, it only weakened the German forces.. I don't have any reason to hate the American worldview for that. I find this case pretty much closed.
    Yes sorry, we Brits have a tendency of making inapproriate jokes/comments, especially me. I actually knew all those historical things: the USSR was seen as a potential oppressor of Finland since the Russian Empire used to include Finland so it simply wasn't possible for Finland to side with Russia. Anyway, silly me.

ReputationRep:
    "because a lot of Americans don't want to go on exchange programs"

Um, Sam, why do you think that?

Is that a common sentiment in the UK and Europe?

I mean, I could say the same, as western europeans are very rare where I live. While pretty much other nationalities from the "rest of the world" are very common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asadtamimi)

Also back to the topic i dont see why people should hate the American public - if they were to hate anything about America, surely it would be its government?
    Uh, you mean a representative democracy?

Let's all have dictatorships eh.

ReputationRep:
    Yes sorry, we Brits have a tendency of making inapproriate jokes/comments, especially me. I actually knew all those historical things: the USSR was seen as a potential oppressor of Finland since the Russian Empire used to include Finland so it simply wasn't possible for Finland to side with Russia. Anyway, silly me.
    More like because Finland fought a war with the USSR in 1939.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Yes, I forgot about that detail. Thanks for reminding us.

ReputationRep:
    Talvisota!

AP European History finally pays off...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djchak)
    "because a lot of Americans don't want to go on exchange programs"

Um, Sam, why do you think that?

Is that a common sentiment in the UK and Europe?

I mean, I could say the same, as western europeans are very rare where I live. While pretty much other nationalities from the "rest of the world" are very common.
    Well the thing with exchange programs is that they're usually bilateral (so that students pay fees to their home university and not to their guest university). So obviously, if no Americans come to Europe, then no Europeans go off to the US.

I don't think there's a shortage of students wanting to go to the US for a year or two. I considered going to TUFTS in Boston for a year but there was only one place. So I ended up going to Canada. In the case of Canada, it was an agreement between regions and not universities so it made things simpler: even if Canadians didn't go to Europe, Europeans could go to Canada as the negociation was between the regions/provinces who financed the difference of tuition fees.

I think a lot of Americans are a bit worried about studying abroad, potentially, in a foreign language, well at least those who I met. So those who go, tend to go to the UK.

I think you'll find the non-European internationals you see are enrolled at your university and not on an exchange program.

Are you consdering an exchange?

ReputationRep:
    "So obviously, if no Americans come to Europe, then no Europeans go off to the US"

While that's not always the case...wouldn't the same be true vice versa...IE if no europeans wanted to go...

I'm just asking how you deduct that americans "don't WANT to go"....

It could be they have the same problem you did.

I have already been abroad several times, work a full time job now and would love to travel more, but vacation time is only 2 weeks a year.

" think a lot of Americans are a bit worried about studying abroad"

I happen to think you are right, but I don't think it for the same reasons..learning a foriegn language is not that bad.

Getting hassled becuase you are American for weeks and months is a big factor. (at least in the people I talk to)

No one wants 3 semesters of people "taking the piss", honestly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Talvisota!

AP European History finally pays off...
    For another interesting tidbit, the Soviet Union was the only country to be kicked out of the League of Nations, and it was because of its invasion of Finland (it lost miserably, but Finland couldn't afford to keep fighting, so it gave up around a third of its territory to the USSR).
    --------------
    (Original post by djchak)
    Getting hassled becuase you are American for weeks and months is a big factor. (at least in the people I talk to)

No one wants 3 semesters of people "taking the piss", honestly.
    Meh, they should do what I do: constantly make fun of other countries, which doesn't leave the other people enough time to criticize yours. Being able (and willing) to argue your position until your face turns blue doesn't hurt either.

ReputationRep:
    For another interesting tidbit, the Soviet Union was the only country to be kicked out of the League of Nations, and it was because of its invasion of Finland (it lost miserably, but Finland couldn't afford to keep fighting, so it gave up around a third of its territory to the USSR).
    Also knew this. I wrote my senior thesis on the Winter War and its fallout.

ReputationRep:
    Like being excessively patriotic
    whats wrong with being patriotic??

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I forgot about that detail. Thanks for reminding us.
    Quite a bit of a "detail" you forgot there but that's understandable. I'm quite surprised people even know something about our war histoy, eh.

Well, anyway. We were even offered Marshall aid which we were couldn't accept because of the Soviet Union so I think people here might be more reserved toward Russia than the USA these days.. (Trying to link all this information to the topic under discussion :P)

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there is anthing wrong with being patriotic, it's using it to justify out nationalism in a discriminatory way that's wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PSdilemma)
    whats wrong with being patriotic??
    Read: Excessively (I hope there's no spelling error ) patriotic.

Americans think they are superior to any other nation on earth. They might be that when it comes to the military etc. but I think they should realize that as a people they are not more valuable than any other. Blah, I just hate this "I'm American and the world is mine!" -attitude.. It seems to be part of their mentality and it's a bit annoying.

There are some too patriotic people in Finland too, fussing about our past and ex-servicemen and I hate it as well. It's not particularly bond with the nationality (normally) but you can really see that way of thinking among ordinary Americans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salla)
    Quite a bit of a "detail" you forgot there but that's understandable. I'm quite surprised people even know something about our war histoy, eh.

Well, anyway. We were even offered Marshall aid which we were couldn't accept because of the Soviet Union so I think people here might be more reserved toward Russia than the USA these days.. (Trying to link all this information to the topic under discussion :P)
    Well I did know that Finland couldn't side with Russia against Germany and that was the main reason why Finland sided with Germany (so that implied, by simple logic that at one time, there was war between Russia and Finland, something that Bismarck reminded me).

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.