The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you hate Americans?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
drago di giada
What uni?(I don't know of any canadian uni's..lol) And where are you planning on going?

I go to Schulich school of Business... dunno where to move, probably where i get the job I want as long as taxes are lower
MuniE
I go to Schulich school of Business... dunno where to move, probably where i get the job I want as long as taxes are lower

well.. thats definitly not NYS. We have like.. the highest taxes.. or something along those lines.
Reply 1042
drago di giada
well.. thats definitly not NYS. We have like.. the highest taxes.. or something along those lines.

lower then here atleast
MuniE
lower then here atleast

lol... canadian currency.. play money! :biggrin:
drago di giada
lol... canadian currency.. play money! :biggrin:

Who invented the mickey mouse dollar bills? :rolleyes:

Euro notes look like monopoly money...
MuniE
What are you talking about mist ground was broken by Bismark and the German Republic, and the american definition of religious freedom is everyone being a bible thumper

I don't know where this stereotype comes from regarding religion. Our president is religious, but outside of the bible belt, religion doesn't play much of a role in people's lives. I haven't set foot in a church in over a decade, unless it was for a wedding or funeral. I think Greece and Italy are far more religious than the USA.
randdom
I am not anti american, I have condemed American foreign policy because I don't agree with it and I don't think that bush is a good leader but I have not problem with the basic priciples ect of America.

You don't have to look very hard to find posts from you criticizing things other than American foreign policy. Our health care system and certain aspects of our culture, such as the patriotic nature of Americans, have nothing to do with foreign policy.

randdom
I started my post with I can see where you are comeing from and I can. All that I was trying to point out is that somethings in America may have been there on paper to start with but not actuall in priciple untill later.
Like I said good on paper but there were some groups who were being tergeted and denyed the same rights as other religions until quite recently eg

The point is that putting it on paper was a start and it the idea was put on paper before anyone else thought of doing so.

What evidence do you have that suggests that certain religions were oppressed until a later date?

George Washington was never hostile to religion. He was one of the first American politicians to favor religious pluralism. In 1790 he wrote that he envisioned America as a country "which gives bigotry no sanction... persecution no assistance.... May the Children of the Stock of Abraham [i.e., the Jews], who dwell in this land, continue to merit and enjoy the good will of the other Inhabitants; while every one shall sit under his own vine and fig tree, and there shall be none to make him afraid."

This is from George Washington’s famous letter to the Jews of Newport in 1790 reassured them of their place in the New Nation. You can find it in any google search. Except for Israel, there are really very few countries that welcome jews with open arms, even today.

randdom
Now I am in no way saying that America was worse in the past or is worse now when it comes to religious freedom. Infact it is better than the majority of countries in the world. All I am trying to point out is that some of the freedoms that America claims to have had for many centuries weren't carried out as much in priciple.

The example of some officers giving someone a hard time about practicing witchcraft, assuming it's even true at all, is an isolated incident. The united states is a country that tolerates the scientology that many hollywood actors practice and the same can not be said of some places in Europe.
Made in the USA
You don't have to look very hard to find posts from you criticizing things other than American foreign policy. Our health care system and certain aspects of our culture, such as the patriotic nature of Americans, have nothing to do with foreign policy.

My only comments on the healthcare system was that because of my political view point I feel that healthcare should be free and that is why I prefer the NHS too the american system of healthcare. I don't think that it is a good thing to be blindly patriotic either I think that you should be able to see your country faults and all. I think that many people will criticise the Gun culture in America I don't see why I am wronge in doing so. Like I said I don't have a problem with America yes there are cirtain issues which worry my but that I more because of my political view points than anything else. Generally America is a better and safer place to live than many other countries and I don't see why just because I point out some of its faults I am suddenly one of the biggest critics on this forum?
ummmmmm.....hmmmmmmmmmm....
no i dun hate americans, or british or chinese for that instance..........its just some bad ppl i hate who can b from newhere in the world at all but yes im not much fond of bush.
randdom
My only comments on the healthcare system was that because of my political view point I feel that healthcare should be free and that is why I prefer the NHS too the american system of healthcare. I don't think that it is a good thing to be blindly patriotic either I think that you should be able to see your country faults and all. I think that many people will criticise the Gun culture in America I don't see why I am wronge in doing so. Like I said I don't have a problem with America yes there are cirtain issues which worry my but that I more because of my political view points than anything else. Generally America is a better and safer place to live than many other countries and I don't see why just because I point out some of its faults I am suddenly one of the biggest critics on this forum?

Then justify postcode prescribing
Jack Schitt

If you mean the idea that your treatment on the NHS is dependent on where you live then I don't think that this is fair or right and something has to be done to try and sort this problem out. However I think that people with less money do better under the NHS than they would do in countries where you need medical insurance.
Jack Schitt

No such thing. I think you meant postcode lottery :biggrin:
NDGAARONDI
Who invented the mickey mouse dollar bills? :rolleyes:

Euro notes look like monopoly money...

:biggrin:.. lol, of course. I've actually never seen a mickey mouse dollar bill.. :confused:
drago di giada
:biggrin:.. lol, of course. I've actually never seen a mickey mouse dollar bill.. :confused:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5510851753
randdom

There are a lot of people on the forum that seem to decide they don't like America(ns) and then look for facts to support their position. A lot of these "facts" are bogus or exaggerated. That page on witchcraft was one of the most absurd things I've ever read.

Many are critical of our gun laws and I feel that a lot of that criticism is unjustified. Why haven't we passed stricter gun control laws if it is such a big problem?

The reason is that lot of laws are in place (or not in place) for a reason. The 31 states that allow citizens to register to carry a concealed weapon have lower crime rates than those that do not.

On average, these states have a 24% lower violent crime rate and a 19% lower murder rate than states that prohibit concealed weapons.

There is evidence that suggests that carrying a concealed weapon can actually help lower crime rates.
Any European of any country that hates a person based upon the sole fact of their nation of birth and origin, is ignorant. I'm so sick of all this anti-american propaganda. I for one am also sick of most of America. It isn't the whole populous of america that is engaging in immoral global transgressions. It is the government of america, supported by some of its citizens. Not everyone in the government is in favor of these actions. I don't believe in the pledge of allegience, and I don't like saying the national anthem. I do feel, however, that British, and French people, in particular like to caricature americans as being ignorant and impolite. Maybe some are, but that is not the consensus by which to judge a whole culture. I will admit that the american culture portrayed by the media is not altogether positive. But this is not an accurate depiction of everyone in America. I would also like to point out the numerous illegetimate transgressions carried out by European nations. Particularly England and Germany. I think that "brits" have little right to dislike or hate americans. Especially when considering the magnitude of inhuman and genocidal actions carried out by the british government and some of it's people. Both Ireland and Scotland were unfairly subjegated and annexed by England. Oh and let us not forget India. I don't think people should negate the fact, that although many british people were against the Iraq war, some of their leaders, paticularly Blair, were adamantly supporting the war. I do thing many americans do stigmatize other cultures, as well as have deluded fantasies of grandeur in comparison to the natives of other nations. I feel, however, that this is not typical of every american. This being said, people should treat people based on their actions, not presupposed and biased stereotypes. I'm not an american apologist. In fact, I used to hate America. But look at the world. American isn't the only nation that has a lot to answer for.
Reply 1057
dyrtyrice
Any European of any country that hates a person based upon the sole fact of their nation of birth and origin, is ignorant. I'm so sick of all this anti-american propaganda. I for one am also sick of most of America. It isn't the whole populous of america that is engaging in immoral global transgressions. It is the government of america, supported by some of its citizens. Not everyone in the government is in favor of these actions. I don't believe in the pledge of allegience, and I don't like saying the national anthem. I do feel, however, that British, and French people, in particular like to caricature americans as being ignorant and impolite. Maybe some are, but that is not the consensus by which to judge a whole culture. I will admit that the american culture portrayed by the media is not altogether positive. But this is not an accurate depiction of everyone in America. I would also like to point out the numerous illegetimate transgressions carried out by European nations. Particularly England and Germany. I think that "brits" have little right to dislike or hate americans. Especially when considering the magnitude of inhuman and genocidal actions carried out by the british government and some of it's people. Both Ireland and Scotland were unfairly subjegated and annexed by England. Oh and let us not forget India. I don't think people should negate the fact, that although many british people were against the Iraq war, some of their leaders, paticularly Blair, were adamantly supporting the war. I do thing many americans do stigmatize other cultures, as well as have deluded fantasies of grandeur in comparison to the natives of other nations. I feel, however, that this is not typical of every american. This being said, people should treat people based on their actions, not presupposed and biased stereotypes. I'm not an american apologist. In fact, I used to hate America. But look at the world. American isn't the only nation that has a lot to answer for.

It doesn't really matter, but are you American? The first of it suggested that you were since you don't like the pledge or anthem but then at the bottom it says you used to hate us. Just curious.
Reply 1058
I dislike America and a lot of what it stands for, but I wouldn't like to paint all Americans with the same brush. That is a very unfair generalisation, so I voted "No". If the question had been "Do you hate America?", the answer may have been different.
Lehcar
I dislike America and a lot of what it stands for, but I wouldn't like to paint all Americans with the same brush. That is a very unfair generalisation, so I voted "No". If the question had been "Do you hate America?", the answer may have been different.

why would the answer be different? Do you hate all of America?...etc this is crazy

Latest

Trending

Trending