The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you hate Americans?

Scroll to see replies

an Siarach
Theyre hardly looking for a 'convenient way' to excuse their hatred of America, it is a legitimate reason. Do you think people just get up in the morning and decide to hate the USA?

I'm saying that they already hate America and Americans, but saying that you hate a group of people is generally looked upon with scorn by moderate society. But, hating a government serves as a socially acceptable alternative. It's like the saccharine alternative to sugar--it tastes the same, and it's healthier, except for the fact that it *might* be a carcinogen...
No. You have just taken the statement out of context. The majority of American people know very little about their government. Infact Bush supporters only know 2 policies out of 8. Link Here

They wouldn't stand for things like Pax Americana Link here

And wouldnt agree to the idea of the Patriot Act.. if they knew its full impelementaions.

Its not the American people which the people here hate, it is the leaders of that country, and perhaps the niaeph nature of the people, but not the people themselves.

Again, American people are the same as people everywhere else in the world. By that I simply mean they're biological matter which is wholly influenced by the enviroment and society which it grows up in..

The problems with America are not with the people, but with the structure which the people live under. Please dont take things out of context.
Reply 1342
Acombfosho
No. You have just taken the statement out of context. The majority of American people know very little about their government. Infact Bush supporters only know 2 policies out of 8. Link Here

i would add that many like Bush for reasons other than his policies. that is something about him the Europeans know very little about.

They wouldn't stand for things like Pax Americana Link here

And wouldnt agree to the idea of the Patriot Act.. if they knew its full impelementaions.

this is based on what grounds?

Its not the American people which the people here hate, it is the leaders of that country, and perhaps the niaeph nature of the people, but not the people themselves.

The what nature? naive? so you hate American naivety and their elected representatives. you assume this is based on your accurate, informed and superior assessment of the facts as indirectly presented to you?

Again, American people are the same as people everywhere else in the world. By that I simply mean they're biological matter which is wholly influenced by the enviroment and society which it grows up in..

indeed.

The problems with America are not with the people, but with the structure which the people live under. Please dont take things out of context.

im sorry but what is America without the people? you hate the "structure" of american life, whatever that is, but not the people who live, grow up and promote it? interesting. context is what Britons and Europeans reguarly miss. you have a problem with the culture or way of life of a nation that is foreign to your own. is that not xenophobia?
you have a problem with the culture or way of life of a nation that is foreign to your own.

Sorry what, Where did you pluck this from? You don't know anything about my background or experiences and you are wrong.

What I do have a problem with is the Structure of American Politics, which any informed person through educational establishments, film and reference material, can see is unfairly balanced towards those with Corporate Backings and Interest.

The topic question is "Do you hate Americans?"

My answer was "No, Its stupid to hate Americans!" followed by its justification.

All you have done is sat on the fence and picked appart pieces of various sentences, which for some reason you seem to deem as an intelligent activity. Good Job. :cool:
Reply 1344
Acombfosho
Sorry what, Where did you pluck this from?
You don't know anything about my background or experiences and you are wrong.

"you have a problem with" - "The problems with"

"the culture or way of life" - "the structure which the people live under."

"of a nation that is foreign to your own." - "with America"

What I do have a problem with is the Structure of American Politics, which any informed person through educational establishments, film and reference material, can see is unfairly balanced towards those with Corporate Backings and Interest.

This was missing from your previous justification.

My answer was "No, Its stupid to hate Americans!" followed by its justification.

Of which some points I disagreed with or did not find clear.

All you have done is sat on the fence and picked appart pieces of various sentences, which for some reason you seem to deem as an intelligent activity.

Welcome to D+D.
Acombfosho
Sorry what, Where did you pluck this from? You don't know anything about my background or experiences and you are wrong.

All you have done is sat on the fence and picked appart pieces of various sentences, which for some reason you seem to deem as an intelligent activity. Good Job. :cool:

Vienna may appear to sit on the fence sometimes, but she's actually right-wing. :wink:

As for Americans liking Bush for a reason other than his abilities as a President (Be this Republican party allegiance or because he has a 'lovable fool' personality)...surely that is quite dangerous, as a president should be elected on the basis of their policies and ability, not their personality.

Of course, I know that in this day and age a glittering image is important (Blair had this back when Labour came to power). If you are a 'Grey Man' then you stand little chance e.g. John Major and even Michael Howard.
We have such a celebrity culture, though, that we seem to be neglecting the most important qualities of a leader.
Will
Vienna may appear to sit on the fence sometimes, but she's actually right-wing. :wink:

Will, you spoiled the surprise!
Reply 1347
Will
As for Americans liking Bush for a reason other than his abilities as a President (Be this Republican party allegiance or because he has a 'lovable fool' personality)...surely that is quite dangerous, as a president should be elected on the basis of their policies and ability, not their personality.

I referred to the fact that he appears trustworthy, strong, honest, sincere, a man of conviction, resolute, courageous and a very good leader. Surrounded by an able government, they are very valid attributes.
vienna95
I referred to the fact that he appears trustworthy, strong, honest, sincere, a man of conviction, resolute, courageous and a very good leader. Surrounded by an able government, they are very valid attributes.

Ok. Using my uncanny tendency to draw historical parallels, I'm going to partially back you up, and partially attack your views.

You're right that a leader needs strength, as one with little strength of character will inevitably not be able to cope with the pressures of controlling a government. I refer to Viscount Goderich as an example. As a Prime Minister he lasted about one month (maybe slightly longer) because he did not have the strength of character to keep his ministers under control.

It must be mentioned, however, that he ended up as PM quite by chance when George Canning died, and had not occupied any positions that required great strength of character prior to his premiership.

John Kerry has been the leader of the Democrats for some time, and to become the leader of a major political party requires you to have some strength and ability - which you must admit.

When do strength, resolution and conviction become bad traits, though?

I'm afraid that when these traits go too far, they turn into stubbornness and inflexibility. Here's another example:

The Duke of Wellington lasted just 2 years as PM because he was a strong but stubborn man who continued to pursue policies that were unpopular with the general public. He was well-liked for his military history (General during Napoleonic Wars - victor at Waterloo) and aspects of his personality, but it was his policies and his unwillingness to change them that were his downfall.

Parallels with Bush perhaps?
Reply 1349
Will
and had not occupied any positions that required great strength of character prior to his premiership.

John Kerry has been the leader of the Democrats for some time, and to become the leader of a major political party requires you to have some strength and ability - which you must admit.

- John Kerry was a Democrat Senator for 20 years, he has never been in a position of responsibility to rival that of Bush. He has never owned, managed a company, run a business or had senior executive responsibilty. Bush has run a number of large, successfull companies, a Baseball team, aswell as being Governor of Texas and now the President of the USA.

When do strength, resolution and conviction become bad traits, though?

I'm afraid that when these traits go too far, they turn into stubbornness and inflexibility. Here's another example:

The Duke of Wellington lasted just 2 years as PM because he was a strong but stubborn man who continued to pursue policies that were unpopular with the general public. He was well-liked for his military history (General during Napoleonic Wars - victor at Waterloo) and aspects of his personality, but it was his policies and his unwillingness to change them that were his downfall.

Parallels with Bush perhaps?

Bush won the 2000 US Election, he leads the popular vote now, he receives more support from the Republicans than Kerry receives from the Democrats. I wouldnt say he was unpopular in America. His unwillingness to change his convictions and principles are seen as one of his strongest points, particuarly in comparison to his wind-surfing opponent.
vienna95
- John Kerry was a Democrat Senator for 20 years, he has never been in a position of responsibility to rival that of Bush. He has never owned, managed a company, run a business or had senior executive responsibilty. Bush has run a number of large, successfull companies, a Baseball team, aswell as being Governor of Texas and now the President of the USA.

Do you think that someone who can't even use proper English can really set up his own business? Bush was handed the company on a plate. Same with the baseball team. His only asset is family wealth. He even managed to dodge the draft and spend his time getting drunk and taking cocaine instead.

vienna95

Bush won the 2000 US Election, he leads the popular vote now, he receives more support from the Republicans than Kerry receives from the Democrats. I wouldnt say he was unpopular in America. His unwillingness to change his convictions and principles are seen as one of his strongest points, particuarly in comparison to his wind-surfing opponent.

Bush cheated. He doesn't deserve to be president. He isn't popular - he has terrified and confused America into seeing him as a viable option. His unwillingness to change is not a strong point. Far from it. Inflexibility leads to poor ideas being followed through. Look at Sharon - thanks to his change in policy there could be headway made in the Middle East. The world is changing constantly. Kerry can see this and adapt. Bush is too dim to realise what's happening (this is not stength - it's stupidity.)
Indeed - maintaining the status quo is not always the best thing to do, especially if violence in the world is escalating due to a lack of changes in policy.

By the way, vienna - I think that Kerry has a larger percentage of the population on his side, whilst Bush has a larger percentage of land mass on his side (rural states with low population density). Which is more representative of popular support, population or land area?
Reply 1352
Will
By the way, vienna - I think that Kerry has a larger percentage of the population on his side

Bush leads in current nationwide polls, these are indicative of the popular vote.
vienna95
Bush leads in current nationwide polls, these are indicative of the popular vote.

Show me where?
Reply 1354
Realclearpolitics huh?

Realgoodgrammar too. :tongue:

Still well within the margin of error. :smile:
Pedant alert! :wink:
Will
Pedant alert! :wink:

Where? Where? :eek: :biggrin:
Reply 1358

However newweeks poll has bush leading by six electorial votes (if the election were held today) and with 5 states still virtually deadlocked, it's anyone's race. Plus Kerry is closing the gap in Missouri, once considered a Bush state.
PadFoot90
However newweeks poll has bush leading by six electorial votes (if the election were held today) and with 5 states still virtually deadlocked, it's anyone's race. Plus Kerry is closing the gap in Missouri, once considered a Bush state.

I was just talking to a friend from Missouri about this. She said that for some weird reason Missouri always does this last minute grab for attention, and people suddenly decide "Oh, maybe I'll vote for the other guy," but they never follow through.

Latest

Trending

Trending