The Student Room Group

Desegregating public facilities

Scroll to see replies

dont see the point in changing an already working system
The idea of having 1 unisex toilet is good. Your idea of having 3 toilets is ridiculous and a waste of money. Also, your proposal actually could increase division as people deemed confident enough to enter a unisex toilet may look down unfavourably on those unwilling to do so. I honestly think they should just have unisex toilets and disabled toilets for accessibility purposes. I have been in many places where there are only unisex toilets and they tend to be much cleaner than single sex toilets.
In most university accommodation I've seen (or at my university, anyway), there's one bathroom per corridor, used by men and women. I believe they're also going for unisex toilets on submarines (no space for both), and I've seen it in several restaurants, pubs etc (though less commonly - perhaps it's a matter of accommodation vs public place).

The world has not yet exploded.

Or maybe students, sailors and drunk people just don't care.
(edited 9 years ago)
Also, would reduce queuing time for women.

(And increase it for men - welcome to our world. :colone:)
Gender equality has nothing to do with segregated toilets. There is nothing unequal about using different bathroom facilities which are better adapted to the needs of men and women respectively, and make everyone feel more comfortable. Creating a third option is entirely unnecessary and would probably just serve to be a useful option when the other toilets are full. The money would be better spent on improving disabled access toilets, or, if you insist on its being spent on gender equality projects, combating FGM, women's education in developing countries or something similar.
PS- I know you will respond to this by saying that I am not committed to gender equality- you are the one who isn't properly committed, as all you care about is political correctness, whereas I actually care about equalising quality of life and standard of living for both sexes, neither of which are affected negatively and in fact are probably improved by segregated toilets.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending