The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Can you rehabilitate a rapist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olderandwiser23
Have you been raped? Talk to some rape victims and see the effects rape has had on them. I think (hope) you would change your opinion.

I could also talk to a victim who's been tortured physically of over a decade? Is that not as bad as rape or even worse?

Anyways I feel we are steering of the topic a bit, I'm not interested in which crimes are more worse, that's another thread.
Have you been raped? Talk to some rape victims and see the effects rape has had on them. I think (hope) you would change your opinion.

Have you been murdered? Talk to some murder victims and see the effects murder has had on them.... Oh wait, at least rape victims are still alive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bittr n swt

I didn't say a rapist doesn't deserve to go jail i said rehab is a better solution. Unlike liars and false accusers, rapists can be rehab'd.

Do you believe that falsely accusing someone of rape is worse than rape itself?
I could also talk to a victim who's been tortured physically of over a decade? Is that not as bad as rape or even worse?.

Both situations create lasting damage so I would say they're on a par. At least with murder it's over. There's no prolonged suffering.
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
Hmm, I'm going to digress here. One could argue, that perhaps the darkest crimes of all, and certainly some of the most serious, are those relating to the molestation of children, and the crimes regarding paedophilia. But by your definition, even in the most extreme instances of these crimes where children do not die, the death penalty is not warranted?

Whilst I do empathise with sexually abused children I'm actually on the fence with this one. Pedos have an attraction to prepubescent children and it's very hard to completely override your attraction. You can't help who you like.

After considering this I would say pedos should go to jail straight away. No chance of rehab as I think it'll be futile but definitely no death penalty.
Original post by Asklepios
Have you been murdered? Talk to some murder victims and see the effects murder has had on them.... Oh wait, at least rape victims are still alive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly my point. A rape victims suffering continues forever and changes them forever, murder does not.

I'm not condoning murder btw.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria

It obviously is... Check your rape-victim bias privelege.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whilst I do empathise with sexually abused children I'm actually on the fence with this one. Pedos have an attraction to prepubescent children and it's very hard to completely override your attraction. You can't help who you like.

After considering this I would say pedos should go to jail straight away. No chance of rehab as I think it'll be futile but definitely no death penalty.

It's strange you think paedophiles shouldn't be rehabilitated considering your point on attraction.

Paedophiles again should go to jail and for a very long time, but I think they're more worthy of rehab than rapists due the points you mentioned.

But that's just my opinion :-)
Exactly my point. A rape victims suffering continues forever and changes them forever, murder does not.

Surely a crappy life is better than no life at all? If you had to choose between getting raped and getting murdered, surely you would go with the latter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surely a crappy life is better than no life at all? If you had to choose between getting raped and getting murdered, surely you would go with the latter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know a lot of women, myself included who would choose dying over rape.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria

No it's roughly on par. Obviously a rape victim will be absolutely distraught and mentally unstable etc but an innocent man falsely accused could also produce the same effects of being distraught and mentally unstable as well as having his reputation tarnished and possibly losing loved ones and friends.
At least with the rape victim she'll have many support but an innocent man will be judged and many people will lose their trust in him.

Both situations create lasting damage so I would say they're on a par. At least with murder it's over. There's no prolonged suffering.

The family will suffer though. I believe life is precious and if you are still alive then it's a gift everyday and should be cherished.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Obviously depends on the circumstances though. Everyone's different.

See what you're saying really is quite odd. You say that 'it's very hard to completely override your attraction' - well I'm sure that a rapist could quite as easily give a similar defence.

And no, while I agree 'you can't help who you like', what you certainly have control over are your actions.

The family will suffer though. I believe life is precious and if you are still alive then it's a gift everyday and should be cherished.

Some would say being raped ruins that persona life and thus she/he cannot cherish everyday even if she/he wanted to.
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
It obviously is... Check your rape-victim bias privelege.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please, this isn't a tumblr discussion. There was no need for that :colonhash:

Oh come on that is nonsense. When you are dead, that's it - game over. At least if you have been raped, there is the possibility that you can "rebuild" your life.

This is sad indeed. Yes rape may change your life but I'm sure there have been many women who have been raped but have grown stronger and stronger and have overcomed it and have led successful and happy lives. You can too.
It's strange you think paedophiles shouldn't be rehabilitated considering your point on attraction.

Paedophiles again should go to jail and for a very long time, but I think they're more worthy of rehab than rapists due the points you mentioned.

But that's just my opinion :-)

You can't really rehab attraction though. Imagine if I went to rehab and they were telling me to stop liking 18 year old girls and like 80+ year old women....it's just futile and will not work. I will always fancy 18 year old girls and nothing, absolutely nothing can or will change that.
Original post by Wade-
It's like saying kill all criminals = no more crime

You do realise how ridiculous you sound?

It was a ridiculous response to a ridiculous statement.

And no, kill a rapist - that rapist is no longer a threat. Not kill all rapists, rape is no longer a threat.
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
Oh come on that is nonsense. When you are dead, that's it - game over. At least if you have been raped, there is the possibility that you can "rebuild" your life.

Yes some people can rebuild. Others Cannot.

You can't quantify or moralise on the effects of subjective emotional trauma. We view rape as abhorrent for a few reasons, but the most indentured is socio-evolutionary instinct to protect females from un-wanted insemination (it doesn't serve the female or male (s) courting them any future advantage in terms of natural fitness) - add in neoteny and societal views etc etc - but rape really has no characteristic element that qualifies it as intrinsically worse than any crime, and really, via jurisprudence and our relation to what crime constitutes we proclaim that which rids someone of the most liberty as the most heinous. Murder is a complete abolishment of someone's total liberty; to even contemplate or try and employ rape as conditionally "bad" as murder is inane. Murder is the worst crime you can commit by virtue of it's the only way of utter destruction of potential liberty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending