The Student Room Group

Why do Nigerians have a bad reputation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by willlondon2000
If there is one thing we have learned in the few years, it’s that white people are capable of losing trillion of dollars in the global economic meltdown, due to derivatives. Do you even know what a derivates is ? Don’t worry the white people who lost money did not know either. They are bets on bets (Basically)…taking a bet on whether this or that bet is going to win.

12 trillion dollars wiped from USA economy because of the actions of a very narrow elite

Now I’m not saying that it was because they were white that they did it, but you better believe that’s that what would have been said had they been black.

Black Nigerians can’t steal that kinda money. Yet your more worried about few Nigerian’s scammers than the actions of people who can and do actually cause damage

Not saying I am more worried. But Nigerians have a reputation for this sort of thing on a day to day basis.
Reply 81
Original post by jedanselemyia
Haha it may be the smallest country in Africa and it may lack ressources but THE Gambia :biggrin:
You definitely should! I haven't been there yet but it's peaceful and cool :smile:

Definitely! I'm trying to get more knowledgable on Africa, before and after colonialism because although I'm really passionate about those issues, I end sounding really emotional and angry and not giving substancial elements.
It's great that you actually "get it" :smile:
There was a guy in my class who said that African countries should have stayed under British rule because it better way... :frown:

Yeah, there are tensions between different waves of African immigrants. My family actually despises Gambians that have only come recently, and doesn't want to frequent them. But you know, when my Grandpa came it was "easier", people were wanted for jobs and there were no communities then so you had to "integrate" (which meant not teaching Wolof to my mum and her brothers and sisters...). So maybe they feel a sense of entitlement?

Yea African history is fascinating. Especially my favourites to learn about are the Mali Empire, the Dahomey empire, Ashanti and Nok civilization. Mozambique's history is really interesting too. Oh and Madagascar. ok im going on loool. but yea I remember when I was younger and people used to be able to tell me about the aztecs or the mayans in south america, or the apache's and inuit in north america or europe or the mongols, or china, japan, arabaia, india etc... but when it came to africa no one could tell me anything other than egypt. and i remember being like. "but there must be a story there?" so i just went to go n find out myself.

but yea The Gambia seems cool and everyone who I've met from there has always been really lovely. shy, but lovely.

n yea trust me history's difficult to read. like when i was reading up on irish history i had to keep taking breaks because it was just too much. theres only so much negetive bad stuff you can read before it starts to mess with you and ruin your day.

thank you :smile:
and omg yea i've had that before the whole colonial "you needed us" narrative.
its B.S. what like Patrice Lumumba needed Belgium? riiiiiiiight.

ah thats such a shame that you didnt get taught Wolof.

I really wanna learn Irish. but the language is dying out. but we used to have a saying in ireland which is "a people without a language is a people without a soul"

maybe they do but it man when it comes to waves of immigration it can be funny.

irish people are the other way round. like my wave of immigration was the poor, builders and laborers wave. so they were quite rough and ready. but the modern irish that come over to the uk are usually quite middle class and look down their noses at us like we're the riff raff they were trying to escape from back home lol.
So true. African history is not studied enough at school, or anywhere in fact. I come from Ghana and from speaking to my relatives that live there, I learnt a lot about my country, things i wouldn't be taught elsewhere. I found out valuable things about myself too, in fact I found out that my great- great grandmother fought to stop British colonialism. now that's something you don't hear everyday. :biggrin:
Original post by Mick.w
Yea African history is fascinating. Especially my favourites to learn about are the Mali Empire, the Dahomey empire, Ashanti and Nok civilization. Mozambique's history is really interesting too. Oh and Madagascar. ok im going on loool. but yea I remember when I was younger and people used to be able to tell me about the aztecs or the mayans in south america, or the apache's and inuit in north america or europe or the mongols, or china, japan, arabaia, india etc... but when it came to africa no one could tell me anything other than egypt. and i remember being like. "but there must be a story there?" so i just went to go n find out myself.

but yea The Gambia seems cool and everyone who I've met from there has always been really lovely. shy, but lovely.

n yea trust me history's difficult to read. like when i was reading up on irish history i had to keep taking breaks because it was just too much. theres only so much negetive bad stuff you can read before it starts to mess with you and ruin your day.

thank you :smile:
and omg yea i've had that before the whole colonial "you needed us" narrative.
its B.S. what like Patrice Lumumba needed Belgium? riiiiiiiight.

ah thats such a shame that you didnt get taught Wolof.

I really wanna learn Irish. but the language is dying out. but we used to have a saying in ireland which is "a people without a language is a people without a soul"

maybe they do but it man when it comes to waves of immigration it can be funny.

irish people are the other way round. like my wave of immigration was the poor, builders and laborers wave. so they were quite rough and ready. but the modern irish that come over to the uk are usually quite middle class and look down their noses at us like we're the riff raff they were trying to escape from back home lol.

That's lovely :smile:
You actually seem to know more than I do! Where do you search for info? Books about African history seem to be scarce and the Internet is not always reliable?

Ugh exactly. My last geography unit is on development in Africa and this topic never fails to make me depressed. My theme in English class is postcolonial litterature and we're studying a book taking place in Sierra Leone... That's when said guy said that crap about how Africa needs British rule.
I get really emotional and tense when talking about these topics. I was on the verge of tears so yeah :frown:
Haha that's right xD
I genuinely wonder if I'm overracting but when I once called out on a guy on how racist his presentation of another book we're studying was, everybody told me that me calling out on him was the best thing that happened in class. So yeah I really don't care now :colondollar:

I'll learn Wolof one day and I hope you'll learn Irish. Regional languages need to keep going, it's indeed a way of keeping the culture alive. Irish seems to be dying out more than Wolof.

Yup, I agree. It's really nonsensical sometimes.
Now that's the sort of weird attitude I'm talking about lol
Anyway, your wave of immigration can proudly say "Started from the bottom, Now we're here!!" :b
Reply 84
Original post by jedanselemyia
That's lovely :smile:
You actually seem to know more than I do! Where do you search for info? Books about African history seem to be scarce and the Internet is not always reliable?

Ugh exactly. My last geography unit is on development in Africa and this topic never fails to make me depressed. My theme in English class is postcolonial litterature and we're studying a book taking place in Sierra Leone... That's when said guy said that crap about how Africa needs British rule.
I get really emotional and tense when talking about these topics. I was on the verge of tears so yeah :frown:
Haha that's right xD
I genuinely wonder if I'm overracting but when I once called out on a guy on how racist his presentation of another book we're studying was, everybody told me that me calling out on him was the best thing that happened in class. So yeah I really don't care now :colondollar:

I'll learn Wolof one day and I hope you'll learn Irish. Regional languages need to keep going, it's indeed a way of keeping the culture alive. Irish seems to be dying out more than Wolof.

Yup, I agree. It's really nonsensical sometimes.
Now that's the sort of weird attitude I'm talking about lol
Anyway, your wave of immigration can proudly say "Started from the bottom, Now we're here!!" :b

ah man... african history is like... so biased n difficult to get an accurate picture of. cause the early stuff is rarely written by africans themselves.
like you basically have to become a historian your self to come to a decent conclusion. Like you can either read a book written by an afro american determined to say africans invented like space ships and stuff. or you get a white or arabic person writing saying black people are inferior n stuff. like for example if you look at like what arabs wrote about african ports on the east coast of africa its like a racist teenager wrote it. fully lying saying like that there was nothing there before arabs arrived. but then you have like earlier references from chinese merchants saying it was always a massive trading port run by black people. like you basically have to reference archeological references against foreigners from different parts of the world and then also read a pan african text on the same matter and then you can start to get an idea of the truth. but there are some good works out there but they tend to rarely be about africa as a continent but usually about particular nation. theres also some great books that i've sadly not been able to get a copy of personally but that have been almost basically like... not published. but that are about particular ethnic groups.

http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199846733/obo-9780199846733-0011.xml

theres a great selection of writings there.

Herodotus is also a good place to start.

but really a lot of the stuff you will find is actually through islamic scholars like ibn battuta.

i usually go for academic books but theres also cool stuff like "they came before columbus" that you can get too.

Ah really? whats the book called?
have you read Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe? thats another great one.

well yea i don't blame you for getting tense and upset. I mean its upsetting. and then of course theres the worry that ur surrounded by white people that might just not except it cause it makes em look bad.

like i got into an argument with a guy who watched django unchained and he said "slavery wasn't as bad as people make it out, black people are just over dramatizing it." and then I replied "so, with slaves not being allowed to learn how to read and write, who exactly do you think was writing the brutal accounts of what was going on? oh yea, thats write, white people, so why would white people want to make themselves 'look bad'" moron...

and good for you calling him out on that ****. so many people over use the term racist that it kinda makes normal people reluctant to say it in case they get a accused of race baiting. n its difficult to break that barrier and just call someone on their b.s. i hope they clapped lol.

and yea irish is doing worse. cuz irish people just suck. so i do kinda feel like... why bother... im like the only one who cares here lol.

yea man. generation drake loool.
Reply 85
Because there is nigerian drug dealers in many countries and money scams.
(edited 9 years ago)
419 basically. It's just sad. Tainting everyone with the same brush.
Original post by Mick.w
ah man... african history is like... so biased n difficult to get an accurate picture of. cause the early stuff is rarely written by africans themselves.
like you basically have to become a historian your self to come to a decent conclusion. Like you can either read a book written by an afro american determined to say africans invented like space ships and stuff. or you get a white or arabic person writing saying black people are inferior n stuff. like for example if you look at like what arabs wrote about african ports on the east coast of africa its like a racist teenager wrote it. fully lying saying like that there was nothing there before arabs arrived. but then you have like earlier references from chinese merchants saying it was always a massive trading port run by black people. like you basically have to reference archeological references against foreigners from different parts of the world and then also read a pan african text on the same matter and then you can start to get an idea of the truth. but there are some good works out there but they tend to rarely be about africa as a continent but usually about particular nation. theres also some great books that i've sadly not been able to get a copy of personally but that have been almost basically like... not published. but that are about particular ethnic groups.

http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199846733/obo-9780199846733-0011.xml

theres a great selection of writings there.

Herodotus is also a good place to start.

but really a lot of the stuff you will find is actually through islamic scholars like ibn battuta.

i usually go for academic books but theres also cool stuff like "they came before columbus" that you can get too.

Ah really? whats the book called?
have you read Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe? thats another great one.

well yea i don't blame you for getting tense and upset. I mean its upsetting. and then of course theres the worry that ur surrounded by white people that might just not except it cause it makes em look bad.

like i got into an argument with a guy who watched django unchained and he said "slavery wasn't as bad as people make it out, black people are just over dramatizing it." and then I replied "so, with slaves not being allowed to learn how to read and write, who exactly do you think was writing the brutal accounts of what was going on? oh yea, thats write, white people, so why would white people want to make themselves 'look bad'" moron...

and good for you calling him out on that ****. so many people over use the term racist that it kinda makes normal people reluctant to say it in case they get a accused of race baiting. n its difficult to break that barrier and just call someone on their b.s. i hope they clapped lol.

and yea irish is doing worse. cuz irish people just suck. so i do kinda feel like... why bother... im like the only one who cares here lol.

yea man. generation drake loool.

Thanks!!
You basically summarised my apprehensions about learning more African history.
I'll definitely like into it :wink:

The Memory of Love by Aminatta Forna :smile: Great book, good drama
We're also studying Mr Pip by Lloyd Jones and Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.
I looooved Things Fall Apart (I read it as an extra since I became interested in Chinua Achebe after reading his essay on Heart of Darkness. His grand nephew is in some of my classes lol).

Yeah, definitely :frown:
I struggle with caring about their feelings and really not giving a ****
Being half white is also conflicting :frown:

Haha SLAYYY :b
You did good on that one

They didn't clap but they sure were smiling and laughing and stuff
He didn't see me coming lol
The most annoying thing is that these kind of people have no idea what they're talking about, no education whatsoever on these issues...
Plus, one of these guys actually asked me out, which is an extra gross factor, like "You're insulting my ancestors and you think I'm actually going to go out with you??" Ewww GTFO

Noooo, that's too bad. You'll be the Irish flag waving dude struggling to keep his culture alive.

Yup, man. The struggle is real.
It's just a silly stereotype. Just because a minority of the country's population get involved with scams and things like that it doesn't make it safe to say that Nigerians have a bad reputation absolutely. There are good and bad people in all nations and all ethnicities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending