The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I live in Lakeside and don't know any final years here and I only know a few foreign students.

Your social life will be whatever you want it to be. However, I'm quite lucky because my flat and the flats above and below me are all up for going out, so it does depend on who you live with as well to some extent.

Aston is so close to the city cente that the night life is great and there is something for everyone.

Ali x
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
the towers tend to be more lively compared to lakeside.

if its quite when you're there its up to you to liven it up
Reply 3
So are there quite a lot of 1st years in Lakeside?:smile:
Reply 4
if your main draw is % of 1st yrs go with the towers.
Reply 5
Apply for Lakeside, chances are you wont get it even if you send your form back early. Out of 5 friends i gave in my form 3 weeks before any of them, ticked i didnt mind to all conditons and still didnt get lakeside. Out of 5 only one of us got lakeside.

So take a gamble if you get it you'll benefit from the showers (which trust me, it 100% better then sharing) and if you dont you could benefit from the more social side.
Reply 6
I liked my shower in Lakeside, was convinient for when id been playing sport and just fancied standing there for hours :tongue:

I miss campus lifestyle, being able to get up at 8:55 and make a 9am lecture on the sixth floor early, ah, those were the days. :tongue:
Reply 7
See thing is, there is 12 of us (lawrence tower floor 2 long side) to 1.5 showers but I’ve never had to queue for it, never. I think they put all ages in lakeside and Dalton, but Stafford is all first year 18 year old students (which is why they get fire alarms), Lawrence is all 19, 20 year old first year students (no idea why im there as im 18). I would personally go for standard as the extra £33 can go on what ever, and my tower is seconds way from the main building, lake side is faaaaaarrrr away.

Alchemy
I miss campus lifestyle, being able to get up at 8:55 and make a 9am lecture on the sixth floor early, ah, those were the days. :tongue:

I’ll have to break that record with 8:58 :biggrin: :biggrin:
Alchemy
I liked my shower in Lakeside, was convinient for when id been playing sport and just fancied standing there for hours :tongue:

ORLY?
Reply 9
Lil Lee
ORLY?

YRLY!

I didn't turn the water on or anything, just liked standing in my own personal confined space.
I may buy you a one person tent
Reply 11
Cheers for all ur comments :smile:

Think im gonna apply for lakeside and see wat happens, standing in the shower for hours appeals to me lol.

If its that crap can u get moved into the towers?
Reply 12
I couldn't stand up in a one person tent, im 6'2" ffs!

And yes, you can request to change to different residence, subject to availability.
Reply 13
i chose standard and glad i did. all that extra money so you get your own shower? in my personal opinion you'd have to be mad to think that represents value for money, especially as agreeing with what j4mes said queing for the shower in lawrence longside, which is where there is the worst ratio of people to showers (1 shower for 12 ppl as opposed to 1 shower to 6/9 in other standard accom.) either doesnt happen or on a very rare basis.
its not just shower queues to consider. i'm concerned about hygiene and cleanliness so thats why i'd prefer an ensuite.

see below for more info
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=309367
Reply 15
Showers, toilets (both are bleached), hallway and kitchen are cleaned every other day.

“If I had known what it was like before, I would have stayed in standard” Quote from some one currently living in lakeside.

Any way, its what ever floats your boat, way up the pros and cons and go where ever you want! Lakeside is well nice, just the cost was the deciding factor for me. ( an extra £35 a week could get you a pair of H&M jeans!!!!11 )

True story, a mate of mine who lives in lakeside, woke up and the cleaner was sitting in his chair watching him . . . just sitting there . . . :indiff:

Crispy what floor you on?
yeah the cleanliness of the toilet / bathrooms in standard was certainly cleaner than where im living now (sharing a house with some mates! meaning we have to clean ourselves.. hence dont happen often!)
Reply 17
i was on lawrence 13 all of 2 yrs ago (currently a placement student)
Reply 18
I know this may be quite difficult to answer but does anyone have a rough idea of how likely you are to get into Lakeside?

From what I've read it seems quite random as to who gets in and who doesnt.
Reply 19
75% of the freshers apply. 23% of those 75% actually get it.

It is based on International students getting priority.

Latest