The Student Room Group

University College Utrecht

Scroll to see replies

g-oo-ey
Normal Dutch universities' only requirement is a pass at IB or VWO.. (except of course Medicine, Law, Psychology, you know the drill). They don't even have any space to put ECAs on their application form where I was looking to apply as a back up.

That is exactly what I said.. .. ..
Reply 81
essygal1990

Yeah but there's more to academics than just grades, isn't there?
NickkO
Yeah but there's more to academics than just grades, isn't there?

Perhaps I did not make myself clear, I was outlining how the "normal" universities base their decision solely on grades.
essygal1990

I know I'm just emphasizing and elaborating through my own experience? Wheres the problem?
g-oo-ey
I know I'm just emphasizing and elaborating through my own experience? Wheres the problem?

Oh sorry, I thought that you were trying to bring a different point across :smile:.

I misread your post, sorry.
essygal1990
Oh sorry, I thought that you were trying to bring a different point across :smile:.

I misread your post, sorry.

Alrighties. Still nothing from UCU? I got the WEIRDEST email from UCM saying my personal statement wasn't focused enough on the uni and that they wanted another one before they'd start processing my application... I sent the same one (changing the university name, of course) to UCU and Roosevelt... Has anyone else had this problem, I don't really understand I mean it's not like I sent the exact same one I used on UCAS, I did answer the guiding questions. I'm actually wondering whether I put the wrong one in the wrong envelope, if I get the same email from UCU it means I probably did... :confused: :s-smilie:
Reply 86
g-oo-ey
Alrighties. Still nothing from UCU? I got the WEIRDEST email from UCM saying my personal statement wasn't focused enough on the uni and that they wanted another one before they'd start processing my application... I sent the same one (changing the university name, of course) to UCU and Roosevelt... Has anyone else had this problem, I don't really understand I mean it's not like I sent the exact same one I used on UCAS, I did answer the guiding questions. I'm actually wondering whether I put the wrong one in the wrong envelope, if I get the same email from UCU it means I probably did... :confused: :s-smilie:

Wow, that really is a weird email. I suppose they're more interested in how you're suited to UCM in particular than the course. We Dutchies don't really know the phenomenon of motivation letters so they've probably got a very different view on them than we Ucas-ers do. Anyway, good luck with that!

Today I found out my application for ESPS at UCL has been succesful. :biggrin: So I'm wondering whether I should withdraw my application to UCU because even if I do get accepted at UCU, there's no way I'd prefer UCU over UCL. And you g-oo-ey, you've got offers from SOAS, would you prefer UCU over SOAS?

Anyway, a girl in my class got an invitation for interview today. :smile:
I don't see what the hype is with UCL, they generally easily accept "semi-good" students. I have never really been fond of it.

No, I still haven't heard anything from UCU. I just think it is absolutely unprofessional that we have been waiting for an interview since DECEMBER 13TH (or fill in your own date).
Reply 88
essygal1990
I don't see what the hype is with UCL, they generally easily accept "semi-good" students. I have never really been fond of it.

All I know is that the course I applied for is extremely competitive and so unique that I don't think there's any course like it in the UK; naturally, I am glad to be accepted.

I'm curious, why don't you like UCL? Great aesthetics/location/reputation. Surely it can't be because of their academics, since you haven't experienced any of it.
This is nonetheless my judgement, and I respect all opinions people may have. :smile:
Reply 91
NickkO
Wow, that really is a weird email. I suppose they're more interested in how you're suited to UCM in particular than the course. We Dutchies don't really know the phenomenon of motivation letters so they've probably got a very different view on them than we Ucas-ers do. Anyway, good luck with that!

Today I found out my application for ESPS at UCL has been succesful. :biggrin: So I'm wondering whether I should withdraw my application to UCU because even if I do get accepted at UCU, there's no way I'd prefer UCU over UCL. And you g-oo-ey, you've got offers from SOAS, would you prefer UCU over SOAS?

Anyway, a girl in my class got an invitation for interview today. :smile:

My applications in Holland are just in case something horrible happens and I decide I want to stay in Holland as opposed to move to the UK, which I doubt is going to happen, but I just want to make sure that if I don't go to the UK I have a place in Holland :smile:
Reply 94
Good news! I received an interview with UCU for March 20, 2008. I am very excited. I am not sure if this means acceptance. I really can not wait to be apart of UCU for this is my dream college. It is still very uncertain due to the competitiveness even after the interview but, I will keep my fingers crossed. Thank you for every ones wonderful comments. NO, I am not famous and my family is middle class not extremely wealthy. I do work to pay for college at Starbucks so my grades dropped from high school years. I hope to attend Utrecht without working and only studying very hard with a few college loans. All the best, Jennifer!
NickkO
So, how was it?

I phoned UCU today. NEWS, finally! Before I even finished my first sentence, the desk lady knew what I was phoning them for and she immediately started explaining. There has been a horrible delay because due to a communication error (of which UCU is to blame) lots of applicants thought the deadline for applications for Fall '08 was MARCH 26th.

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS.

Of course those applications had to be counted as well. So everything has been delayed by at least 2 months. She said all the earlier applications had finished being processed today, so we should all hear something this week. Finally. :rolleyes:

Well, it went okay. The guy was being such an advocate of the devil it started to annoy me a bit. But without sounding egotistical :P, I think I have a reasonably good chance of getting in.

About the deadline... I ALMOST FREAKED OUT. Let me explain. In the information brochure, the deadline for Fall '08 was mentioned March 26th, like you said. So I went on the website in December, thinking 'Hey, 3 months prior, you know, that's good timing to finish everything relaxedly'. I almost fell off my chair when I read 'Deadline: December 15th', which was 10 days away!! I live 6000 miles away from the Netherlands, so with the mailing and everything, I had about a week to complete my application from scratch :s-smilie:.

So that's my story, and I hope we all indeed hear ANYthing from them.
Anyone have anything to chat about?
There's always talk about how competitive the universities of our choice may be. Does anyone have an idea about what the acceptance rate is at UCU, before AND after the interview screening?

Oh, and I've noticed that a lot of people here have interests in International Relations, Political Science, Oriental Studies etc. Applying to London is indeed a great step and I'm jealous of everyone who got accepted :P. What about Science? I'm just interested in suggestions for good Science-oriented programs, like LSE and SOAS are great for above mentioned interests.

Thanks!
Reply 97
Hi sunset ,

You asked about "acceptance rate is at UCU"
Here are some statics for you,

Number of applicants :
Interviews
accepted

2006 applicants
interviews
accpeted

2007 applicants
interviews
accepted

2008 - I do not know !!!

I wish everyone good luck and may all your dreams come true. I believe everyone has a good chance after the interview.

Best wishes,
Jenn
Reply 98
Hi all!
I'm a second year student at RA and I really love the course. My girlfriend studies at UCU though, which means that often at UCU during the weekend. I think that both RA and UCU are superb universities, and in my opinion they're both superior to UCM (UCM lost all their debate matches in the University Colleges Debate Tournament). If you look at the Elsevier ranking RA was first in 2005 and 2007, while UCU was first in 2006, so I think they are pretty equal when it comes to teaching quality etc. I always have long discussions with my gf about the superiority of RA over UCU and vice versa :wink:.
In Middelburg we don't have a dining hall, which is lovely since I wouldn't like paying for the food that I ate in the dining hall at UCU. Big advantage of UCU is that they have there own bar on campus, our bar is opining in 2 weeks in city center... The reason I only applied to RA was that I didn't like the atmosphere in Utrecht, IMO it sort of feels like a prison, although I have to admit that it isn't as bad as I thought it was. RA is smaller (400 students) while UCU has 730 atm. What I love about RA is that you actually get to know everybody within a few months. As for housing in Middelburg check out our website: hac.roac.nl, I am Kostijn btw:wink:.

I have to admit though that it takes you at least 1,5 hours to get to a decent sized city, but then again the beach only takes you about 20 minutes...

Anyways they're both fabulous institutions and I think that you should visit them both to make a good decision.

Good luck!

Oh, I'll go to Nottingham after RA to study Vet Med. I just got an unconditional offer for the 2009 entry :smile:.
Reply 99
I applied for european history and educational science !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending