The Student Room Group

University in the Netherlands

So I have applied for university in the Netherlands and was wondering if anyone had any tips for accommodation and healthcare etc
Look for accommodation sooner rather than later. It's in really short supply and I have heard stories of international students being unable to study because they simply cannot access accommodation. Also be careful for scams on the internet, try to visit the accommodation in person if you can, if not, be super careful about following the legal steps as much as possible (this is if you use facebook groups or other informal sites to find accommodation). Make sure you have family/trusted people around when you first move into your city because you will need help if something goes wrong (and also for moral support). Also, some types of student accommodation requires that you furnish the place yourself (including putting in flooring) so you may need people around to help you sort it all out. Other types of accommodation aren't like this but it's worth keeping in mind. Could be worth taking a trip to IKEA before you leave for the Netherlands so you can order all the stuff you need to your new flat in the Netherlands from IKEA when you first move in.

Be prepared to have to spend quite a long time sorting out the registration process in whichever municipality you live in. At the beginning of the academic year, the municipality buildings get swarmed with international students trying to register, consider doing this earlier so you don't have to wait in line.

For healthcare, it depends on your circumstances. If you are an EU citizen (or British, but you should check the validity/type of your card first) you can use your European Health Insurance Card at medical facilities in the Netherlands. Although, you will need Dutch health insurance to work, and if you intend to stay in the Netherlands long term, you will be required to take out Dutch health insurance. Dutch health insurance costs get reimbursed by the Dutch government for people under a certain level of income (although I'm not sure to what extent this is covered for international students). You would need to check depending on the type of visa/residency/EU etc situation to figure this out.

Also, sort out your bank account! Many Dutch supermarkets etc don't take Mastercard or Visa cards because those operators charge the shop extra for transaction fees. So, many Dutch banks have cards with VPay (which is a variant of Visa) or similar. They also have different card systems, e.g. an IBAN number, which British cards don't usually have. So buying things online becomes a hassle (no food deliveries!). My suggestion is to get a card from companies like (Transfer)Wise or Revolut in the short run (some of these are helpful for international travel anyway), and then get a card with ING, ABN AMRO, Rabobank etc once your administrative stuff like registration is all sorted out.

Also get a bicycle! Local student organisations might have bikes on sale for a cheaper cost. Otherwise, lots of international students use Swapfiets (these bikes can be identified by the blue wheel on the front) which is a subscription type service. this is a useful but more expensive option. Generally, bikes are super useful for going out in the evenings, and also for getting to places faster. Not the end of the world not having one, but it's definitely convenient. Buy a good lock for the bike to prevent thefts. Also second-hand bikes that look a little beaten up are less likely to be stolen. I'm told that bike theft is common, although it hasn't happened to me so far.

Good luck with studying in the Netherlands!
Reply 2
Original post by NotBestPleased
Look for accommodation sooner rather than later. It's in really short supply and I have heard stories of international students being unable to study because they simply cannot access accommodation. Also be careful for scams on the internet, try to visit the accommodation in person if you can, if not, be super careful about following the legal steps as much as possible (this is if you use facebook groups or other informal sites to find accommodation). Make sure you have family/trusted people around when you first move into your city because you will need help if something goes wrong (and also for moral support). Also, some types of student accommodation requires that you furnish the place yourself (including putting in flooring) so you may need people around to help you sort it all out. Other types of accommodation aren't like this but it's worth keeping in mind. Could be worth taking a trip to IKEA before you leave for the Netherlands so you can order all the stuff you need to your new flat in the Netherlands from IKEA when you first move in.
Be prepared to have to spend quite a long time sorting out the registration process in whichever municipality you live in. At the beginning of the academic year, the municipality buildings get swarmed with international students trying to register, consider doing this earlier so you don't have to wait in line.
For healthcare, it depends on your circumstances. If you are an EU citizen (or British, but you should check the validity/type of your card first) you can use your European Health Insurance Card at medical facilities in the Netherlands. Although, you will need Dutch health insurance to work, and if you intend to stay in the Netherlands long term, you will be required to take out Dutch health insurance. Dutch health insurance costs get reimbursed by the Dutch government for people under a certain level of income (although I'm not sure to what extent this is covered for international students). You would need to check depending on the type of visa/residency/EU etc situation to figure this out.
Also, sort out your bank account! Many Dutch supermarkets etc don't take Mastercard or Visa cards because those operators charge the shop extra for transaction fees. So, many Dutch banks have cards with VPay (which is a variant of Visa) or similar. They also have different card systems, e.g. an IBAN number, which British cards don't usually have. So buying things online becomes a hassle (no food deliveries!). My suggestion is to get a card from companies like (Transfer)Wise or Revolut in the short run (some of these are helpful for international travel anyway), and then get a card with ING, ABN AMRO, Rabobank etc once your administrative stuff like registration is all sorted out.
Also get a bicycle! Local student organisations might have bikes on sale for a cheaper cost. Otherwise, lots of international students use Swapfiets (these bikes can be identified by the blue wheel on the front) which is a subscription type service. this is a useful but more expensive option. Generally, bikes are super useful for going out in the evenings, and also for getting to places faster. Not the end of the world not having one, but it's definitely convenient. Buy a good lock for the bike to prevent thefts. Also second-hand bikes that look a little beaten up are less likely to be stolen. I'm told that bike theft is common, although it hasn't happened to me so far.
Good luck with studying in the Netherlands!

Would you say it is easier to register if you already have a Dutch passport? I’ve got family I can stay with if needs be. Do you think because I have a Dutch passport I would be able to get it reimbursed? My dad is Dutch so that’s why I have a Dutch passport. Also thank you so much for replying
Original post by Poppyvdk05
Would you say it is easier to register if you already have a Dutch passport? I’ve got family I can stay with if needs be. Do you think because I have a Dutch passport I would be able to get it reimbursed? My dad is Dutch so that’s why I have a Dutch passport. Also thank you so much for replying

This depends if you have lived in the Netherlands before. If you haven’t lived there before then registering may be a lot more complex. I also have Dutch citizenship, and I had to send my birth certificate to the UK Foreign Office to be re-certified with an apostille. I then had to take it, along with my passport and other documents to the municipality office to register. You will need a Dutch address for this. You will need to book appointments in advance, and they can be booked up fast. I had to visit the Netherlands to register at least a month or so before I actually needed to start my studies so that I could attend a registration appointment. Your registration will include a BSN number ('burgerservicenummer') It took around 7 weeks for me to be issued a BSN number, which was very annoying because it is a really important number, and somehow people on EU passports or student visas had their BSN numbers within 7 days. I hope the process works out more smoothly for you than it did for me.

Anyway, you will need a BSN number for a Dutch bank account. As I said, it could take a ridiculously long amount of time to get a BSN. So, in the meantime you will need a substitute bank account (like (Transfer)Wise, which I recommend) or have access to an existing Dutch bank account, otherwise paying for anything will be difficult. When you do have your BSN, it will not be on your passport until you renew that passport. As a result, if you try to get a Dutch bank account using the mobile app that they want you to use, the app will get very confused by the lack of BSN on your passport when trying to identify you. So, if you want to open a Dutch bank account, you need to visit a bank location in person. Don't bother with the app as it will only create confusion (as I learnt the hard way).

You also need a BSN number for accessing student finance in the Netherlands (which I recommend, as it is much more favourable than the student finance situation in the UK). This is because government services use the "DigiD" system, which requires a BSN. So, you will not have access to Dutch student finance until your registration is finalised. You may be able to claim back funds that were missed as a result of delays in the registration process, though.

For health insurance, the costs will be reimbursed by the Dutch government if you personally are on a lower income (which will most likely be the case as a student). However, it is worth checking whether any ongoing medication you use is covered by the reimbursement, as the government only covers generic versions of medication and not branded versions. Usually this isn't an issue from a medical perspective, though.

This is all very complicated, but if you have family in NL and you have access to accommodation and a bank account, this is all doable in the end. Good luck!
Reply 4
This depends if you have lived in the Netherlands before. If you haven’t lived there before then registering may be a lot more complex. I also have Dutch citizenship, and I had to send my birth certificate to the UK Foreign Office to be re-certified with an apostille. I then had to take it, along with my passport and other documents to the municipality office to register. You will need a Dutch address for this. You will need to book appointments in advance, and they can be booked up fast. I had to visit the Netherlands to register at least a month or so before I actually needed to start my studies so that I could attend a registration appointment. Your registration will include a BSN number ('burgerservicenummer') It took around 7 weeks for me to be issued a BSN number, which was very annoying because it is a really important number, and somehow people on EU passports or student visas had their BSN numbers within 7 days. I hope the process works out more smoothly for you than it did for me.
Anyway, you will need a BSN number for a Dutch bank account. As I said, it could take a ridiculously long amount of time to get a BSN. So, in the meantime you will need a substitute bank account (like (Transfer)Wise, which I recommend) or have access to an existing Dutch bank account, otherwise paying for anything will be difficult. When you do have your BSN, it will not be on your passport until you renew that passport. As a result, if you try to get a Dutch bank account using the mobile app that they want you to use, the app will get very confused by the lack of BSN on your passport when trying to identify you. So, if you want to open a Dutch bank account, you need to visit a bank location in person. Don't bother with the app as it will only create confusion (as I learnt the hard way).
You also need a BSN number for accessing student finance in the Netherlands (which I recommend, as it is much more favourable than the student finance situation in the UK). This is because government services use the "DigiD" system, which requires a BSN. So, you will not have access to Dutch student finance until your registration is finalised. You may be able to claim back funds that were missed as a result of delays in the registration process, though.
For health insurance, the costs will be reimbursed by the Dutch government if you personally are on a lower income (which will most likely be the case as a student). However, it is worth checking whether any ongoing medication you use is covered by the reimbursement, as the government only covers generic versions of medication and not branded versions. Usually this isn't an issue from a medical perspective, though.
This is all very complicated, but if you have family in NL and you have access to accommodation and a bank account, this is all doable in the end. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your help so I have a EU passport so hopefully that means that I can get it quicker. I am contemplating going early it’s just so annoying that I don’t get my results until the 15th of August which gives me about two weeks to go so I’m hoping thatI can just go beforehand and then come back on the 15th of August but I’ll have to figure that out because it doesn’t really give you a lot of time before your studies, but thank you so much for your reply I really appreciate it
Reply 5

I found that ING has a student account where you don’t need a BSN number when you register you only need one to put in so that should hopefully mean not have a bank account because my bank account I have now MasterCard so it said online that you can put a BSN number in afteryou’ve applied for it and you’ve got the bank open and then you can put it in when you get it so that’s positive
Thank you so much for your help so I have a EU passport so hopefully that means that I can get it quicker. I am contemplating going early it’s just so annoying that I don’t get my results until the 15th of August which gives me about two weeks to go so I’m hoping thatI can just go beforehand and then come back on the 15th of August but I’ll have to figure that out because it doesn’t really give you a lot of time before your studies, but thank you so much for your reply I really appreciate it

Also. make sure that when you get your results , you get onto chasing the exam boards to make sure they send confirmation of your results to your uni. If your uni is anything like mine, it will only take confirmation of results directly from the exam board. A scan of the certificate, or an official letter from your school may not suffice. The exam boards are very slow to send results to overseas universities, even if there are deadlines. Just make sure you keep an eye on that.
I found that ING has a student account where you don’t need a BSN number when you register you only need one to put in so that should hopefully mean not have a bank account because my bank account I have now MasterCard so it said online that you can put a BSN number in afteryou’ve applied for it and you’ve got the bank open and then you can put it in when you get it so that’s positive

That may work, but remember that for a bank account they will need a valid form of I.D. to issue it in the first place. So, even without requiring a BSN, the mobile app may still get confused when scanning your passport. Just make sure you go into an ING branch to get the student account.
Reply 8
That may work, but remember that for a bank account they will need a valid form of I.D. to issue it in the first place. So, even without requiring a BSN, the mobile app may still get confused when scanning your passport. Just make sure you go into an ING branch to get the student account.

That is a good idea I will do that thank you
Reply 9
Also. make sure that when you get your results , you get onto chasing the exam boards to make sure they send confirmation of your results to your uni. If your uni is anything like mine, it will only take confirmation of results directly from the exam board. A scan of the certificate, or an official letter from your school may not suffice. The exam boards are very slow to send results to overseas universities, even if there are deadlines. Just make sure you keep an eye on that.

My university has asked for it via college or the exam board themselves. I have to pay for early results emailed to leiden for the edexcel paper but its annoying aqa does not have this as it would make it so much easier

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending