The Student Room Group

Proving the sum of the n terms for geometric sequences

Hey, so it's been a while since I've looked at C2(back in November) and I just did a practice paper from may 2012. Everything was fine but I forgot how to prove the first n terms of the geometric series through the C2 Book method so I used mathematical induction to prove it, do you think this would get me the full marks in the exam or do I have to use the book's method?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Mythological
Hey, so it's been a while since I've looked at C2(back in November) and I just did a practice paper from may 2012. Everything was fine but I forgot how to prove the first n terms of the geometric series through the C2 Book method so I used mathematical induction to prove it, do you think this would get me the full marks in the exam or do I have to use the book's method?

Have you checked the mark scheme? It should tell you on there
The mark scheme showed the normal method but the examiner report said a few attempted induction but it was rare but they didn't specify whether they lost marks or not
Reply 3
The mark scheme showed the normal method but the examiner report said a few attempted induction but it was rare but they didn't specify whether they lost marks or not

Hm, I assume if it doesn't ask for a specific method in the question then as long as it's correct it shouldn't be a problem.

I'd stick to the C2 method to be safe though :tongue:
I dont think u read the question mate
Reply 5
I dont think u read the question mate
Your question was answered. So I thought I should share a method you might be interested that's accessible to C2 students. One that would get you full marks in the exam as well. But clearly I was wrong. Deleted if that will make you happy.
(edited 9 years ago)
thanks I guess
You would get full marks (assuming your proof was correct, of course).

Quick Reply

Latest