Goldsmiths College, University of London
London

BA Design

Anyone firming for Design?
I'm stuck between firming Goldsmiths or Camberwell
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London
Goldsmiths is in the first place, bot my offer is conditional.
Reply 3
Original post by NikiSB
Anyone firming for Design?

I think I will be firming my offer soon, but I also have an offer from Brunel for Industrial Design and Technology.. I visited both and Goldsmiths seems like a better fit for me. Did you decide?
Reply 4
Original post by liverpoolstudent

I chose between those as well, what is it that's keeping you undecided?
Reply 5
Original post by ipo04
I think I will be firming my offer soon, but I also have an offer from Brunel for Industrial Design and Technology.. I visited both and Goldsmiths seems like a better fit for me. Did you decide?

I firmed Goldsmiths, that was where I wanted to go in the first place so the decision wasn't too hard. What is it that makes you feel you're bettered fitted for Goldsmiths?
Reply 6
Original post by NikiSB
I firmed Goldsmiths, that was where I wanted to go in the first place so the decision wasn't too hard. What is it that makes you feel you're bettered fitted for Goldsmiths?

Well after visiting both, I got to see the pros and cons more clearly. The most important one was that Design at Goldsmiths lets you create your own path throughout the course, so for example if you are interested in both industrial design and graphic design, you are able to do the projects focused mainly on those areas of design. You learn how to use certain tools along the way, so if you need to make something out of wood for your own project, they provide you with the tools and teach you how to use them. On the other hand, the first two years in Brunel are mainly about learning how to use the tools so everyone makes the same stuff (which lets you get very familiar with the tools so it may be better in that sense), and you do your personal projects in the following years. (Please let me know if any of the things I said is incorrect/misleading) That's mainly why I thought Goldsmiths is a better fit for me.

Also, I liked Goldsmiths's location more. It is in Zone 2, which is very close to central london, and it is in a nice area with cafes and supermarkets around. I really liked the campus, it has a friendly feeling to it.

Did you also choose the hall you want to stay in? when are we supposed to do that?
Reply 7
Original post by ipo04
Well after visiting both, I got to see the pros and cons more clearly. The most important one was that Design at Goldsmiths lets you create your own path throughout the course, so for example if you are interested in both industrial design and graphic design, you are able to do the projects focused mainly on those areas of design. You learn how to use certain tools along the way, so if you need to make something out of wood for your own project, they provide you with the tools and teach you how to use them. On the other hand, the first two years in Brunel are mainly about learning how to use the tools so everyone makes the same stuff (which lets you get very familiar with the tools so it may be better in that sense), and you do your personal projects in the following years. (Please let me know if any of the things I said is incorrect/misleading) That's mainly why I thought Goldsmiths is a better fit for me.

Also, I liked Goldsmiths's location more. It is in Zone 2, which is very close to central london, and it is in a nice area with cafes and supermarkets around. I really liked the campus, it has a friendly feeling to it.

Did you also choose the hall you want to stay in? when are we supposed to do that?

Brunel sounds good! like it's quite focused on making and has its specific way of teaching from what you mentioned. It's always good to be taught how to use your tools properly, it seems like you're swaying towards Goldsmiths more based on you feel that you'll have more freedom. Where is Brunel based? I'm from London so I'm going to live at home for the first year at least and see how it goes so can't help you with when you're supposed to choose halls, sorry. Good luck with it all!
Reply 8
Original post by NikiSB
Brunel sounds good! like it's quite focused on making and has its specific way of teaching from what you mentioned. It's always good to be taught how to use your tools properly, it seems like you're swaying towards Goldsmiths more based on you feel that you'll have more freedom. Where is Brunel based? I'm from London so I'm going to live at home for the first year at least and see how it goes so can't help you with when you're supposed to choose halls, sorry. Good luck with it all!

Brunel is in Uxbridge, yes I am swaying towards Goldsmiths but you probably sensed that I am still not completely sure!.. why was Goldsmiths your first choice?
Reply 9
Ah that would put me off a bit too if I was to choose from New Cross or Uxbridge. Goldsmiths was my first choice because of what I've heard about it from friends who've been there, the campus & area, the tutors and the course itself. People have different reasons of why they choose a certain Uni, I guess mine would be I feel that I would most enjoy the way they teach at Goldsmiths and the experience I would have there rather than anywhere else I applied.
I just don't know which is a better uni, I liked the course and areas of them both equally so it comes down to which sounds better... having studied at a UAL or Goldsmiths and not being from London im finding it hard to know the answer to that
Can anyone give me some insight into what the interview for Goldsmith's BA design was like? Have mine coming up and want to be as prepared as possible!
Original post by laurenggll
Can anyone give me some insight into what the interview for Goldsmith's BA design was like? Have mine coming up and want to be as prepared as possible!

Well I had a Skype interview. It was quite informal. The professor with whom I did that interview was really pleasant and he even talked more than I did :biggrin: So you shouldn't be nervous about it and just be confident about what you want to achieve.
I was asked why I have chosen this uni, what field of design I am mostly interested. What is more... oh, he asked if I have my favorite designer, if I like reading books and what kind (can anyone explain me what kind of sense it has) after that he asked me to describe one of my works and asked if I had any questions.
Well in the end, just be yourself :wink:
Reply 13
Original post by laurenggll

Informal, group interview. Have plenty to say about your own work, why you did what. Have questions to ask and an opinion on other peoples work (you will talk about your work in front of others doing the interview, around 3 others.) What artists you like, who/ what influences you, why you think this course suits you over other courses you may of applied for. Most of all just relax and be yourself.
Reply 14
I'm pretty sure I'll firm Goldsmiths, I'm still tempted by Fine Art elsewhere though.
Reply 15
I've firmed BA Design for this September! :smile:
Hi all, came across this forum as I don't know the exact start date for the University this September, I will be doing BA Design too :bigsmile:
Me2, 4 years behind you. Can i ask what’s your major and final decision? 😊😊Thank you!!
Original post by liverpoolstudent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending