The Student Room Group

History at St Andrews: Pre-application Reading List

Hi All,

I'm still a year away from applying for History at St Andrews and noticed that a lot of successful previous personal statements for the course mention the numerous books and History publications they've read. I'm already subscribed to 'History Today' but was curious as to whether people had any advice on books to read about specifically European History (1850-) or Russian History (1850-) or any other books current students would consider an essential before applying?

Thanks
I echo the advice above - excellent book that will introduce you to what the study of History is all about, ie. its not just about facts but how we as historians approach them. If you can grasp some of the ideas in this book before you start your degree, your first few weeks will be a great deal less bewildering!

The Oxford History of Modern Europe (Blanning) is a good solid book to read, or Mastering Modern World History (Lowe)
and for Russian History, The Russian Revolution: Tsarism to Bolshevism (Darby) or Mastering Twentieth-Century Russian History (Lowe). All should be available through inter-library loan from your local public library - no need to buy them, but Amazon or Ebay are places to look for cheap copies if you want to have your own copy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending