The Student Room Group

This whole "fluid gender" thing..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Wavefunction
But we haven't had a need for these words for Millenia, now one person has come up with it people are jumping on th band wagon. Where does it end? If I wake up tomorrow feeling like a transgender, pansexual Walrus named Tanquia, is that ok? Will everyone accept it? Naaa

This isn't a new thing that suddenly exists, it's just a thing that is now currently becoming accepted in society so people feel comfortable in showing their true identity. Much like how it took a long time for many people to come out as homosexual because they would have been jailed 60 years ago.

The attempted suicide rate for transgender and non-binary people is over 40%, and you wonder why people have always liked to keep this sort of thing to themselves?

Stop being so narrow minded.
Actually, there seems to be a lot of misconceptions on this thread. Transgender basically means your assigned birth sex is different from your gender (trans literally means different, cis is the same, hence if you are assigned male at birth and you identify as male you are cisgendered).

As a result some non-binary people (e.g. genderfluid, agender, etc.) do identify as trans (not all though, and that's up to them to decide whether or not they are comfortable with that label). To be trans you don't need surgery. You don't need hormones. Your gender just needs to be different from your assigned birth sex really.

An easy way to define gender identity is what you feel with regards to your gender (or lack thereof) - this is subjective, so you have no right to tell someone that they're not whatever gender they identify with. Your assigned sex at birth is what the doctor decides you are based on your genitals and also what goes on your birth certificate. Gender expression is what society views you as and it's in relation to clothes, mannerisms, etc. These can all be different. Generally speaking though, they all match up. For trans people they don't.

Also, I don't really get why people have such a big problem with people not being within the gender binary? Like not identifying as male or female isn't harming anyone. So why do you care? Just be respectful to everyone - trans, nonbinary, cis, whatever. We are all still people at the end of the day.
Original post by driftawaay
Men and women have different brain structures. Whether we identify as male or female doesn't depend on whether we like stereotypically male things or stereotypically female things. But gender identity is ingrained in our brains, we all know whether we are boys or girls even when we are toddlers. Do you remember a time in your life when you didn't know you were a boy? Transgendered kids often tell their parents they are the opposite sex when they are only two or three years old. A transgendered person may have their brains wired like a female but have the genitals of a male for example. Therefore they would identify as female and feel like their body is wrong. You don't feel like that because your genitals and brain are both male. Imagine that you got kidnapped, sedated and someone performed a sex change on you. You wake up with a vagina and tits but then would you be like 'I'm a female, lets go buy some high heels and find a husband', nope! You would still be a male with a male brain and you would feel like your body does not belong to you. You wouldnt identify as a woman and you wouldnt suddenly start being interested in painting your nails or applying make up or whatever. Your gender is not only your genitals, everything about us is in our brain, and it some cases people's genitals and brains do not match.

Okay; so you're saying a person's "gender" is dependent on their brain, and that a transgender person might have the genitals of one sex but the brain of another? What is the difference between a "male" brain and a "female" brain? And in what way would you expect these differences to manifest themselves in the character of the person in question?

This is the bit I don't understand: Suppose you are born with "female genitals" and a "male brain" (as opposed to the example you've given about getting kidnapped and having a sex change performed forcibly). How would you know that there is any "mismatch"? If you've lived like that your entire life, with a female brain and male genitals, surely that's just normal as far as you're concerned? How would you know that your brain matches more closely with those who have male genitals if you've never experienced what it is like to have those people's brains? How can you know that you "feel like a man" when you have no idea what other men feel like?
(edited 8 years ago)
By the English dictionary, actually.

By an English dictionary.
Original post by ionic-insomniac
The issue is, that it can vary from person-to-person and there's no official defintion of what a woman can and should be, just societal norms. Let's say a guy cross dresses and generally feels more comfortable partaking in more effeminate hobies, such as cosmetics etc. Obviously not all women have an interest in such things, but biologically as well as culturally, women are more inclined towards more nurturing characteristics. Let's say a dude genuinely wants to be a hair stylist, wears femine clothes and puts on make-up. He might identify more as female, simply because he as a person, can relate to that group more, but then again he might not. He just happens to be a guy that likes wearing makeup and applying it. Simple as. Playing rugby as a kid doesn't make me a guy today, simply because it's not who I am. It's completely down to the individual.

This isn't quite the answer to my question though. A man could "identify" as a woman if he finds himself with an affinity towards the lifestyle usually shared by other women, or he might not. He might feel more of a sense of belonging amongst a crowd of women than amongst a crowd of men. Fair enough.

But at what point is it true to say "Not only does this male-bodied person identify as a woman, he actually is one"? Or are you telling me that anyone who identifies as a woman is a woman, and anyone who identifies as a man is a man, by definition?
Original post by tazarooni89
Okay; so you're saying a person's "gender" is dependent on their brain, and that a transgender person might have the genitals of one sex but the brain of another? What is the difference between a "male" brain and a "female" brain? And in what way would you expect these differences to manifest themselves in the character of the person in question?

This is the bit I don't understand: Suppose you are born with "female genitals" and a "male brain" (as opposed to the example you've given about getting kidnapped and having a sex change performed forcibly). How would you know that there is any "mismatch"? If you've lived like that your entire life, with a female brain and male genitals, surely that's just normal as far as you're concerned? How would you know that your brain matches more closely with those who have male genitals if you've never experienced what it is like to have those people's brains? How can you know that you "feel like a man" when you have no idea what other men feel like?

There are massive differences between a male and a female brain. To say the least of it, our brain structure is shaped by sex hormones such as testosterone and estrogen in the womb before we are born. Obviously males' brains get more exposure to testosterone and females' brains get more exposure to estrogens. This is why men tend to be more aggressive (because of testosterone) and women tend to be more emotional (because of estrogen). These hormones shape whether we view ourselves as male or female. There have been studies done with chimpanzees and a doll and a truck was placed on the ground for a group of male and female chimpanzees. The females played with the doll while the males ignored the dolls and played exclusively with the trucks

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/09/101220-chimpanzees-play-nature-nurture-science-animals-evolution/

There is a video of it somewhere, I will try to find it.

So when human girls play with dolls and boys play with trucks, it is not because society forced those gender norms on them, it is because women are wired to play with dolls or 'feminine' toys while males are wired to play with 'male' toys. It is just in the make up of our brain. Nobody told those chimpanzees that they are girls and should play with the doll. I have a little cousin who is 2 years old and he gets excited whenever he sees a car and wants to get in and drive and only plays with traditional male toys even though he spends a lot of time at my aunt's house who has a little daughter who only has dolls and girly stuff and he has always been encouraged to play in that room full of those toys yet he never showed any interest in them, while my girl cousin would never get excited about a car either.

So that is what a manifestation of a 'male' and a 'female' brain would be because of the hormones that shaped our brains.

How would you know that there is any "mismatch"? If you've lived like that your entire life, with a female brain and male genitals, surely that's just normal as far as you're concerned? How would you know that your brain matches more closely with those who have male genitals if you've never experienced what it is like to have those people's brains? How can you know that you "feel like a man" when you have no idea what other men feel like?

That is exactly the point, a female-to-male transgendered person has experienced what it is like to have a male brain since they have a male brain. That is the only thing they have experienced.You can know you 'feel like a man' because you have a male brain. A female-to-male person would not know what it is like to be a female or feel like a female- since they don't have a female brain.

I never understood why people find it hard to understand transgenderism, it is not a difficult concept.
This isn't quite the answer to my question though. A man could "identify" as a woman if he finds himself with an affinity towards the lifestyle usually shared by other women, or he might not. He might feel more of a sense of belonging amongst a crowd of women than amongst a crowd of men. Fair enough.

But at what point is it true to say "Not only does this male-bodied person identify as a woman, he actually is one"? Or are you telling me that anyone who identifies as a woman is a woman, and anyone who identifies as a man is a man, by definition?

I was going to correct the person you quoted because what he said doesn't make sense. Effeminate men who have traditionally feminine interests and have exclusively female friends are still men and identify as men. Not women. If a male identifies as a woman they are transgendered.

The question "Not only does this male-bodied person identify as a woman, he actually is one"? does not make sense, because if someone with male genitalia identifies as a woman, that automatically means they are transgendered - aka have male genitalia but a female brain.
Original post by blackened_sky
If only it would let me upvote you again.

The only thing I don't understand about all this is why people who aren't affected by it get their knickers in a twist over it.

Just accept that some people don't identify as the gender they were assigned at birth. Some people don't identify as one single gender. Some people don't identify as any gender. It doesn't hurt you in any way whatsoever, just let them get on with it, it's their life ffs. Who the hell are you to tell them how they feel?

Now I want to upvote you again even though I already upvoted something of yours. We are forming a PRSOM chain.
I imagine people have already said this, but here goes:
Gender is a social construct. Sex is biological, based upon XX/ XY chromosomes, etc. The fact that you have XY/XX chromosomes does not determine your gender identity, much as you eye colour does not determine whether you like dressing in a certain way or acting in a certain way.
There's not much to comprehend. Yeah personally I won't always understand/accept the whole transgender thing probably because I'm not in their situation but if one wants to dress as a girl/boy or in any clothes they want too, I really don't give 2 sh*ts. Wear what you want, who the bloody hell cares.

Ruby rose is gender fluid I think and I still think shes hot. She pulls off female and male looks. What exactly is OP asking?
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Now I want to upvote you again even though I already upvoted something of yours. We are forming a PRSOM chain.

I tried to upvote this and it wouldn't let me either. OH GOD WHERE WILL IT END?
That's bisexual, surely?

No, because, as we've already discussed ad infinitum, Gender != Sex. :rolleyes:
That is exactly the point, a female-to-male transgendered person has experienced what it is like to have a male brain since they have a male brain. That is the only thing they have experienced.You can know you 'feel like a man' because you have a male brain. A female-to-male person would not know what it is like to be a female or feel like a female- since they don't have a female brain.

I never understood why people find it hard to understand transgenderism, it is not a difficult concept.

I think you may have misunderstood my question, so I'll rephrase if I wasn't clear.

A female to male transgendered person (or any person for that matter) has only experienced life in their own brain, and nobody else's. So they can't compare their brains or the way they feel to anyone else. So my question is, how does this person know that it is "maleness" that they're feeling, if they've never experienced life inside anyone else's male brain? How can they say that their brains are more similar to other men than other women?

To give an analogy:

Suppose there's a red Coke can, but the drink inside is actually Pepsi instead of Coke. If a person who has never tasted either drink before takes a sip from this can, he's not going to realise anything's different, is he? As far as he knows, that's what Coke is supposed to taste like.

The only people who will be able to tell that it's the wrong drink inside will be those who have actually drank from other Coke cans before, and then noticing that this one tastes different from the rest of them.
I was going to correct the person you quoted because what he said doesn't make sense. Effeminate men who have traditionally feminine interests and have exclusively female friends are still men and identify as men. Not women. If a male identifies as a woman they are transgendered.

The question "Not only does this male-bodied person identify as a woman, he actually is one"? does not make sense, because if someone with male genitalia identifies as a woman, that automatically means they are transgendered - aka have male genitalia but a female brain.

Okay - suppose you have an effeminate male, who has traditionally feminine interests and personality traits etc. What exactly is it that determines whether he is just a man with a feminine mind, or a woman with a male body? What is the difference?

It seems to me almost like asking: Is a minotaur a human with a bull's head, or a bull with a human's torso and limbs? I'd say there's little to choose between the two.

Are you saying that effeminate men still have fully male brains, whereas male to female transgenders actually have female brains? If so, why have the effeminate men ended up with feminine traits and behaviours, if not as a result of their brains?
Original post by Mad Vlad
No, because, as we've already discussed ad infinitum, Gender != Sex. :rolleyes:

We haven't discussed it, you merely stated it.
We haven't discussed it, you merely stated it.

This is like talking to a ****ing breeze block. I'm not the only person to make this distinction and what's particularly telling is that you're not engaging with this point and instead making arguments about procedural aspects of the way I made that statement so as to Chewbacca Defense the whole discussion.
i don't get it too but we're humans and we like to complicate things

also gender and sex are different. If you were born a man, i will call you a man no matter how many surgery you undergo, you will still be a man by sex.
Okay - suppose you have an effeminate male, who has traditionally feminine interests and personality traits etc. What exactly is it that determines whether he is just a man with a feminine mind, or a woman with a male body? What is the difference?

Errr the person with the brain chooses?
Original post by bittr n swt
If you were born a man, i will call you a man no matter how many surgery you undergo

Aren't you just lovely and open minded.
Original post by blackened_sky
Aren't you just lovely and open minded.

i really can't be bothered with your bull**** sarcasm.

Sex is their sex and that cannot be change. I don't really care what you think of me, who are you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending