The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Britain is not a good country to live

For many reasons.. its too corporate, everything revolves around money and working constantly with little time to enjoy life. Secondly theres little to enjoy here as the weather sucks and the country it tiny. The people are also rude, and boring. Lastly its full of hostility between different races of people, nationalities and religion. Also Britain has pissed off most of the world so the country and its people are always a target.

Discuss

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

First world problem
Try living in South Sudan atm
Britain is far from perfect but it's far better off than other countries
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
It's easily in the top 10% of countries to live in. Outside some parts of W.Europe, N.America, E. Asia and Australia/NZ, there aren't many countries with better living standards.
Original post by T.I.P
For many reasons.. its too corporate, everything revolves around money and working constantly with little time to enjoy life. Secondly theres little to enjoy here as the weather sucks and the country it tiny. The people are also rude, and boring. Lastly its full of hostility between different races of people, nationalities and religion. Also Britain has pissed off most of the world so the country and its people are always a target.

Discuss

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bye then. Have a nice journey.
You sound like you need to move out to the countryside and get out of the city OP
Imo Britain has some of the best weather in the world. It's mild, no hurricanes or crazy blizzards or anything, it's a comfortable temperature for much of the year and compared to most countries doesn't actually get that much rainfall, at least in most of England (check out average annual precipitation in London vs Paris, NYC, Sydney).

We have no really 'deadly' diseases or insects which can kill you with a bite, no huge earthquakes or tsunamis, no volcanoes...the worst we get is light snow which shuts the country down for a couple of days because we're so used to everything being perfect.

There's huge diversity in sometimes very close together regions, allowing you to experience different cultures just by driving down a short stretch of road. Some people are rude and boring, just like anywhere, but much of this is regional. People in the North are generally friendlier.

Compared to most places we've done a really great job of multiculturalism.
Reply 6
Best country ever is Singapore IMO. I hate the weather though.
I don't love it but, in the context of the myriad worse places I could have had the misfortune of falling out of a womb into, I'm pretty content. I agree we work far too much and could point to many things I dislike about Britain but I absolutely hate hot weather so generally it works for me in that respect.
Original post by hilrho
Best country ever is Singapore IMO. I hate the weather though.

Malaysia and Dubai
Reply 9
Coming back here after being in other countries, you do start to appreciate some of the things we have. Britain is actually a very good place to live. However as somebody else said it is by no means perfect and there are probably a few places which are even better.
Reply 10
Original post by _elohssa
It's easily in the top 10% of countries to live in. Outside some parts of W.Europe, N.America, E. Asia and Australia/NZ, there aren't many countries with better living standards.

I cant blame you for your generic reply as its what you've been led to believe. As a person who has travelled to various countries I can tell you that poor people are generally happier than the moany sods in Britain. Im not talking starvation HIV poor, Im talking, poor housing conditions, but can live of the fat of the land. These people dont need HD TVs to be happy or a big BMW. I went to a poor part of the caribbean where only one lad had a football.. the whole darn village was out playing with this one ball it was like some kind of festival as before you knew it food was being brought out etc. These people were happier than most of the wealthy people Iv met here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P
I cant blame you for your generic reply as its what you've been led to believe. As a person who has travelled to various countries I can tell you that poor people are generally happier than the moany sods in Britain. Im not talking starvation HIV poor, Im talking, poor housing conditions, but can live of the fat of the land. These people dont need HD TVs to be happy or a big BMW. I went to a poor part of the caribbean where only one lad had a football.. the whole darn village was out playing with this one ball it was like some kind of festival as before you knew it food was being brought out etc. These people were happier than most of the wealthy people Iv met here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed
Nah yorkshire's fine.
once labour gets voted back in britain will be humane to live in once more
It's not that bad. There can be a few rude people but most people are kind and helpful. The weather isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. It's not too hot or too cold (some places are above 40 degrees Celsius in summer and some places are below -10 degrees Celsius in winter). The only complaint I would have is that there is little time to spend to yourself and enjoy since your career takes over your life. I'm a sixth form student so I spend a lot of time studying, but I also have a part time job so when it's not school life it's work life. But overall it's better than some places. Imagine living in a country like Syria where your life could end at any minute. At least we don't have the danger of things like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P

Discuss

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you never end?

Only joking, it's just I've seen you a lot recently.

Far less significant problems here than in many other countries.
Free NHS care. Yes, weather isn't what people would deem ideal or "dreamish", but hardly a problem in the grand scheme of things.

Original post by Wahrheit
Imo Britain has some of the best weather in the world. It's mild, no hurricanes or crazy blizzards or anything, it's a comfortable temperature for much of the year and compared to most countries doesn't actually get that much rainfall, at least in most of England (check out average annual precipitation in London vs Paris, NYC, Sydney).

We have no really 'deadly' diseases or insects which can kill you with a bite, no huge earthquakes or tsunamis, no volcanoes...the worst we get is light snow which shuts the country down for a couple of days because we're so used to everything being perfect.

There's huge diversity in sometimes very close together regions, allowing you to experience different cultures just by driving down a short stretch of road. Some people are rude and boring, just like anywhere, but much of this is regional. People in the North are generally friendlier.

Compared to most places we've done a really great job of multiculturalism.

Good post.
Reply 16
Original post by queen-bee
Malaysia and Dubai

Not sure about Malaysia. Love Dubai though- as well as the guy on your display picture:wink:
Original post by hilrho
Not sure about Malaysia. Love Dubai though- as well as the guy on your display picture:wink:

Yeah that's my hubby who's waiting for me in Dubai :wink:
Reply 18
Original post by queen-bee
Yeah that's my hubby who's waiting for me in Dubai :wink:

Do you mind sharing? You can have him anytime - I wouldn't mind just the weekends :colondollar:
Original post by hilrho
Do you mind sharing? You can have him anytime - I wouldn't mind just the weekends :colondollar:

Lmfao No way,the boy is mine

Latest

Trending

Trending