The Student Room Group

Is it wrong for white people to have cornrows?

Poll

Is it wrong for white people to have cornrows?

Global super-talent KylieJenner has been criticised for 'appropriating black culture' after posting a selfie of her with cornrows. Link: ind.pn/1gwTRIi

Is it a celebration of black culture or is Jenner exploiting her privilege?
Hunger Games actress Amandla Stenberg has criticised her for “appropriating black culture” while “failing to help black Americans”.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Should black people have hair? Its an incredibly stupid argument.

The militant equalitists need to let things go.
Reply 2
You'd think there were more important debates and fights in race relations than a celeb's haircut.
Original post by Aj12
You'd think there were more important debates and fights in race relations than a celeb's haircut.

to be fair its not just celebrities that appropriate other cultures...
Original post by TomatoLounge
Global super-talent KylieJenner

Nice sarcasm 8)
Original post by Skip_Snip
Nice sarcasm 8)

:colone:

You are quite right! I saw a photo of a black chap in Africa wearing a three-piece suit only a few days ago.

Who is Kylie Jenner, by the way?
Reply 7
Well are black people appropriating white culture if they do traditionally white things?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Damn, I better stop wearing my Fez! I'm not even Egyptian!

****ing lunacy.
I agree with the points mentioned by the girl who tweeted the rant to Kylie Jenner. Black features are often appropriated by white celebrities to thunderous applause whilst black people, their culture and their humanity is constantly being demonised/insulted by the media and society in general.

That being said, white people, like all people, have every right to do whatever they want with their bodies. Kylie Jenner is just another vapid attention wh're showing off different styles to please her equally vapid fans so she was clearly not being racist or anything.

In other words, the girl tweeting the rant should have simply put it on her own page and not directed it towards the innocent but talentless nobody.
Reply 10
The reason Kylie is getting "picked on" is because her and her family have a history of using another culture as a costume whilst having no education on the context of the clothing or hairstyle.

There's also double standards present when Kylie - a white woman - is seen as trendy and edgy when she wears a traditionally black hairstyle, whilst actual black girls are ridiculed for doing the same thing. I myself have received some stupid comments from others when I wore cornrows as a child.

Perhaps if it was the first time that Kylie was appropriating black culture she would have got away with it. But that's not the case. Her family constantly wear Asian and Native American traditional clothing and accessories, as well as paying to get surgery for predominately black features (big lips and butt.) Its funny how they love other cultures but don't give a **** about their struggles. Kylie hasn't once used her status to comment on the police brutality towards African Americans, which really summarises the extent of her respect for other people, and that hurts.

My point is that white people can do whatever they want, all we want is for them to be aware of where the cultural products they wear come from, why we wear them and to respect ethnic minorities and their struggles. At the end of the day they can take off the cornrows, but black people will still be scrutinised in America for every little thing.
The race issue must be way better than I though it was if this is what thy choose to moan about.
Reminds me of feminists moaning about manspreading and banning bossy when they choose to stay all but silent on millions of girls being sexually mutilated in Muslim countries.
Original post by ChampEon
I agree with the points mentioned by the girl who tweeted the rant to Kylie Jenner. Black features are often appropriated by white celebrities to thunderous applause whilst black people, their culture and their humanity is constantly being demonised/insulted by the media and society in general.

That being said, white people, like all people, have every right to do whatever they want with their bodies. Kylie Jenner is just another vapid attention wh're showing off different styles to please her equally vapid fans so she was clearly not being racist or anything.

In other words, the girl tweeting the rant should have simply put it on her own page and not directed it towards the innocent but talentless nobody.

How is black culture demonised by the media? If anything the opposite is true. The American media has a fetish for black people which is very obvious and very weird.
Reply 13

Never understood this whole cultural appropriation thing. Culture is fluid and every culture is influenced by those around it. Attempts to guard it are as doomed as the french trying to stop their language developing.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes because it looks stupid.
Global super-talent KylieJenner has been criticised for 'appropriating black culture' after posting a selfie of her with cornrows. Link: ind.pn/1gwTRIi

Is it a celebration of black culture or is Jenner exploiting her privilege?
Hunger Games actress Amandla Stenberg has criticised her for “appropriating black culture” while “failing to help black Americans”.

Garbage (they don't deserve to be called people) who use the term appropriating other cultures, should be thrown off buildings by ISIS. There is no such thing as appropriating another culture. No culture owns a style of dress etc.

If a white person has cornrows it simply shows that they like cornrows it does not make them racist.
Original post by Berchtold
Garbage (they don't deserve to be called people) who use the term appropriating other cultures, should be thrown off buildings by ISIS. There is no such thing as appropriating another culture. No culture owns a style of dress etc.

If a white person has cornrows it simply shows that they like cornrows it does not make them racist.

But sometimes it could be racist - eg.) if your donning certain clothes to reinforce a stereotype/ take the mik out of a certain racial or cultural group.
But sometimes it could be racist - eg.) if your donning certain clothes to reinforce a stereotype/ take the mik out of a certain racial or cultural group.

Yeah who cares. Blacks can wear white face (like in that film white chicks) and white can wear Black chicks. Taking the mik, people need to grow up.
Original post by Berchtold

Your hyperbolic first sentence aside (:tongue:), I agree with this.

Laughably ludicrous tbh, Amandla Stenberg is victim mentality personified.
This is ****ing stupid.

Also I'm pretty sure loads of white people had cornrows in the late 90's / early 00's and I don't remember a fuss about it then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending