The Student Room Group

Do White People think there is a secret 'privilege' system benefiting their lives?

I hear of this 'secret' privilege but notice it only comes from pempt up, angry people with some sent of entitlement or grandiosity issues.

I have never seen this in action. I can't see any group being promoted in this country apart from minorities through positive discrimination, 'diversity', ethnic quotas. I can't see any other group being defended by smear and fear policies through political correctness, I have never seen a comment about English culture being treated as 'politically incorrect', it's simply all foreign cultures.

So, where is the common sense in this debate when referring to privileges?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not sure about you but I got my 'white privilege' tramp stamp when I was born, and a card of membership when I turned 11.
Anyone going about claiming someone is privileged based on the colour of their skin is, by definition, a racist.

No, I'm not talking about 'if you oppose mass immigration you are a racist' racism, I'm talking about actual racism.

Definition of racism:

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

I mean, you can try and cloak it all you want, but you are a racist.

The entire 'check your privilege' rhetoric is just 1. a way to get the majority population to loathe itself (see 'shame' or 'guilt society': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shame_society) and 2. a way to close down debate by playing identity politics top trumps. We end up in a situation whereby by disadvantage becomes a check box exercise and the more ticks you can place in all the boxes, the wiser, kinder and superior you are.

It's stupid.
(edited 8 years ago)
White's are privileged...yet

Explain how non-White people can call for genocide of White people and it not be a racist hate crime?

Racism and victimhood of racism itself is a double standard, and if anything a privilage not White people enjoy
Of course, have you not been attending the meetings where we decide upon the best way to oppress the other races?
Reply 5
The opposite, most of us think the state gives too much help to non-whites
Original post by limetang
Of course, have you not been attending the meetings where we decide upon the best way to oppress the other races?

And women.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is a lot less of an issue in the UK than it is, say, in the US, where this idea of "privilege" is apparent and has a much larger effect, especially in the Bible Belt.

There's no denying that systematic racism is well and alive in the US and it's far more advantageous to be born to a white family. Latinos, Native Indians, and Blacks, and in some cases Asians, are systematically discriminated against both in the legal and the judicial system, in employment and education opportunities.

The result of this is the well-meaning but ultimately flawed attempt at fixing the issue is what you see today as affirmative action, diversity quotas, positive discrimination and so forth. None of these tackle the larger issue at hand, and attempt to treat the symptoms rather than the cause.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by limetang

White privilege isn't necessarily about what extra you have, but what you don't have to deal with.
Example. Do you get followed around in stores (shop workers trying to make it look as if they're 'checking' something which happens to be near you, what a surprise) just because your skin is a few shades darker than theirs? Do you get 'randomly selected' on airport check, somehow each time you travel? Very random isn't it...
White people often don't realise that POCs are being oppressed because they don't feel any benefits coming their way. We don't always have those benefits in life. Life is a little tougher being POC. It's not your fault but don't pretend it doesn't exist.
Reply 9
Original post by Catholic_

I have never seen this in action.

It is an undeniable fact that White people have an advantage when looking for employment in the UK. This has been proven in numerous nationwide studies such as the one that is quoted below.

Researchers found that an applicant who appeared to be white would send nine applications before receiving a positive response of either an invitation to an interview or an encouraging telephone call. Minority candidates with the same qualifications and experience had to send 16 applications before receiving a similar response.

Source:
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/oct/18/racism-discrimination-employment-undercover
Original post by TheCitizenAct
Anyone going about claiming someone is privileged based on the colour of their skin is, by definition, a racist.

No, I'm not talking about 'if you oppose mass immigration you are a racist' racism, I'm talking about actual racism.

Definition of racism:

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

I mean, you can try and cloak it all you want, but you are a racist.

The entire 'check your privilege' rhetoric is just 1. a way to get the majority population to loathe itself (see 'shame' or 'guilt society': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shame_society) and 2. a way to close down debate by playing identity politics top trumps. We end up in a situation whereby by disadvantage becomes a check box exercise and the more ticks you can place in all the boxes, the wiser, kinder and superior you are.

It's stupid.

WOW

Having privilege doesn't make you superior...... awks. It merely recognises that western society favours white people as they don't face the discrimination and institutional racism that PoC's face.

BTW reverse racism doesn't exist.
Original post by Catholic_
I can't see any group being promoted in this country apart from minorities through positive discrimination, 'diversity', ethnic quotas.

Several years ago Trevor Phillips (not sure whether it was right at the end of Commission for Racial Equality, or just after the Equality and Human Rights Commission was formed - he was head of both) said that the UK also had a disadvantaged group in poorer white people, and that needed to be recognised.

There are some references here:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2008/oct/29/social-exclusion-race-immigration

And this quote from The Voice:

Phillips closes the documentary by identifying white working class boys as the “new blacks”.

http://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/how-not-tackle-race-trevor-phillips-style

The Voice is obviously not taking up that point, but you should be able to see that Trevor Phillips, at least, believes that equality isn't just a non-white issue.
Original post by ridwan12

Do you mean that "PoC" do not discriminate against/abuse white people? Or that there aren't white people that seek out PoCs to befriend just because they are PoC?

Do you mean to say it is impossible for people of colour to be racist against whites?
Original post by typonaut
Do you mean that "PoC" do not discriminate against/abuse white people? Or that there aren't white people that seek out PoCs to befriend just because they are PoC?

No that society is setup in a way that racism against white people doesn't exist, discrimination yes but not racism.
Original post by StrangeBanana
Do you mean to say it is impossible for people of colour to be racist against whites?

yes
wow

you're not very bright, are you?

Brighter than you :h:
wow

you're not very bright, are you?

TSR is a pain isn't it?
Brighter than you :h:

Well, considering you have failed to understand some basic English, namely the accepted definition of racism,

"the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

I'd have to disagree with that statement.

Original post by HornDirndlFest
TSR is a pain isn't it?

It is indeed. :huff:
(edited 8 years ago)

Is it possible for blacks to be racist against Asians?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending