The Student Room Group

Why do women sacrifice their biological and natural urges for ''careers''....

Scroll to see replies

Original post by what is thisMkII
Why do a lot of women want to do this?

I mean yeah I understand they want to have 'choices' like men, but what is the actual point of it? How can any human being see slaving away in an office doing work, which you likely would never do if you didn't have any bills to pay, better than giving life to your own blood and raising it. Moreover men don't have a ''choice'' to have a career, they either work or go out on the streets starving and dying.

Not only that, but most women's ''careers'' are useless; being HR bots, or crunching numbers into excel documents in a cramped office, or being a typist and writing senseless drivel and gossiping around the office (actually this applies no matter which 'career' they're in :lol:).

I could understand women wanting to be career orientated if their careers actually made a difference to this world and the society they live in, such as being disproportionally represented in careers such as scientists, mathematicians, construction workers, plumbing, electrician, the military, online security, architecture etc. The only career where they're disproportionally represented in a good way, which impacts our society, is nursing and teaching. That's it. Any other field where there is actual work to be done and that impacts the society we live in their numbers are abysmal. Look at women's enrolment rates in STEM subjects around the western world; they're dire. There's a reason Imperial College is known as a sausage fest.

Not only that but then they have the cheek to turn around and ask why do men earn more than women? :gigg: (Actually men don't earn more than women FOR THE SAME JOB, this myth has been debunked countless times.)

So I want to ask why is it cherished for people to destroy their blood line and generation for the senseless pursuit of sitting in cramped office, bored to death and doing something which, more than likely, has little effect on the society we live in? It just seems so absurd, there's literally no logical meaning for it, apart from FEELS.

Uhmmmmm......I don't know what rock you have been living under, but in this day and age we have female Doctors, Lawyers, Bankers, MP's, engineers...I could go on. Not all women who pursue careers just type numbers into a spreads sheets and gossip about their colleagues. Nor is it a womans 'natural urge' to produce children, nor is she suppressing the urge whilst pursuing her career. IT'S A CHOICE.

Yeah women are disproportionally represented but we have only just moved on from the dark ages(not helped by people like you)...more and more women will find themselves in those jobs, there are many working them now anyway.

I want a professional career because I don't see living life any other way, I couldn't bare being at home looking after children all day, it sounds awfully depressing and dull. Just changing nappies and feeding.Yuck. I think I can make more of myself than just breed. (Not that I'm putting down stay at home mums, but it's not my thing, I couldn't do it).
(edited 8 years ago)

I mean yeah I understand they want to have 'choices' like men, but what is the actual point of it? How can any human being see slaving away in an office doing work, which you likely would never do if you didn't have any bills to pay, better than giving life to your own blood and raising it. Moreover men don't have a ''choice'' to have a career, they either work or go out on the streets starving and dying.

Not only that, but most women's ''careers'' are useless; being HR bots, or crunching numbers into excel documents in a cramped office, or being a typist and writing senseless drivel and gossiping around the office (actually this applies no matter which 'career' they're in :lol:).

I could understand women wanting to be career orientated if their careers actually made a difference to this world and the society they live in, such as being disproportionally represented in careers such as scientists, mathematicians, construction workers, plumbing, electrician, the military, online security, architecture etc. The only career where they're disproportionally represented in a good way, which impacts our society, is nursing and teaching. That's it. Any other field where there is actual work to be done and that impacts the society we live in their numbers are abysmal. Look at women's enrolment rates in STEM subjects around the western world; they're dire. There's a reason Imperial College is known as a sausage fest.

Not only that but then they have the cheek to turn around and ask why do men earn more than women? :gigg: (Actually men don't earn more than women FOR THE SAME JOB, this myth has been debunked countless times.)

So I want to ask why is it cherished for people to destroy their blood line and generation for the senseless pursuit of sitting in cramped office, bored to death and doing something which, more than likely, has little effect on the society we live in? It just seems so absurd, there's literally no logical meaning for it, apart from FEELS.

This is some ****ed up sexist ****.
Reply 62

Why do men?
I chop and change my mind on whether I want kids. However I'm only 22 and I wouldn't want them for a good while. About 29/30 at the very very earliest. I love my job, I am helping people/students. Whenever I make a joke to my engineer boyfriend that I'm waiting for him to become a millionaire so I can retire, he just looks at me and states "you'd be so bored..." So there's your reason. I couldn't deal with the monotony of being alone all day with a baby. Then once you've been out of work for a while it's really difficult to get back in.

Also the whole concept of pregnancy and birth freaks me out :yuck:
@hilrho doesn't, she wants to be filled by her daddy all the time.

Oh for god's sake. 'Destroy their bloodline'? Get a grip. There are already too many dodgy bloodlines around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silverbolt
Its called choice.

This.

The OP is a fool.
But most people taking boring admin office jobs, retail jobs etc for money not for career
I would personally get a job part time so I could study it would be how i would support myself, I wouldn't give a monkeys what the job is so long as it pays for my phone bills, lunch, cups of teas and train fares I'm okay. As for kids I will wait till established with someone who loves me and I am in my career

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its a symptom of the cultural decline of our nation. I'm all for women working but its horrid to see the native fertility rate drop for women to per sue careers unlikely to ever truly satisfy them.
These threads are as bad for women's health as breast cancer.
Im 24,female and i will never have children and no one can dictate to me what i should or shouldn't do.
Your mother should've followed her natural urges and let you free in the wild. I don't think you'll make it far in a world where you're not hiding behind a screen in a dark basement
(edited 7 years ago)

It's brainwashing. People go against logic and against what they really think due to brainwashing. We are one of most brainwashed societies ever to have existed.

Hell we live in a media concentration camp where people literally cannot think and download their opinions and values from the TV.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Umm... getting pregnant isn't a "natural" urge. I think that's a label that society had forced on women. Not every woman wants children, or even like children and that's okay. I think a person being happy and doing what they love should be valued more than motherhood. If being a mother makes a woman happy that's good for her and a woman focusing on her career makes her happy good for her. Every woman is different and people have their reasons for not wanting children. The world is not going to explode or humanity is not going to die off because some people chose not to have children right away.
Why would anyone want to work in an office whilst you gossip about the neighbours,
talk about football and talk about the weather ?

I think you've answered your own question there. Women need to have careers to earn money, because they do indeed have bills to pay.

Maybe by having fewer children, and having them a little later in life so that they can establish a good career first, they'll be able to provide a better, more affluent life for any children they do end up having.

Plus it seems foolish to sacrifice your career totally for the sake of being a housewife and raising lots of children. Sure, your husband might support you financially, but what do you do if he dies, becomes incapacitated and no longer able to work, or divorces you? Who's going to look after you and your many children then?

Also, your idea that women's careers are useless is flawed too. All careers provide a useful or desirable service to someone. If they didn't, nobody would be willing to pay them for it.
(edited 7 years ago)
They compete themselves out of the market. Due to hypergamy it's very difficult for them to find a suitable partner for example 70% of professional black women are single in the U.S. Largely due to not finding decent black males who are equal or above.

More women now go to university than men so it will only get worse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending