The Student Room Group

Solutions to ODEs

So apparently the (somewhat) formal definition for a solution to an ODE with independent and dependent variables x and y respectively is some y(x) such that F(x, y, y', y'' ... y'(n)) = 0 (where y'(n) is the nth derivative) for a range a < x < b (edit: actually surely this should allow for non-strict inequalities as well?). So does this mean if you solve a differential equation and obtain a function valid for more than one interval, for instance valid for a < x < b and b < x < c, you have two "solutions", one in each interval, or you have one solution that spans more than one interval? I guess what I'm asking is whether y(x) is a solution if and only if it is valid solely for some domain a < x < b, or if it is simply required to be valid for one interval but can in fact be valid for more than one.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
So apparently the (somewhat) formal definition for a solution to an ODE with independent and dependent variables x and y respectively is some y(x) such that F(x, y, y', y'' ... y'(n)) = 0 (where y'(n) is the nth derivative) for a range a < x < b (edit: actually surely this should allow for non-strict inequalities as well?). So does this mean if you solve a differential equation and obtain a function valid for more than one interval, for instance valid for a < x < b and b < x < c, you have two "solutions", one in each interval, or you have one solution that spans more than one interval? I guess what I'm asking is whether y(x) is a solution if and only if it is valid solely for some domain a < x < b, or if it is simply required to be valid for one interval but can in fact be valid for more than one.

complicated stuff for the purists ...
I do not remember ever being taught this, or maybe I was but I never used it so I forgot it ... This is stuff you normally find in the first chapter or two of a decent book on ODEs.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

As far as I know, the original problem is only concerned with the interval a<x<b(or non-strict) so whether a particular y(x) satisfies the equation outside of the interval is irrelevant. A y(x) that satisfies the equation on b<x<c is a solution to a different problem but the function itself may be the same as one that satisfies the equation on a<x<b.
The solution only needs to satisfy the equation in the particular given interval.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest