The Student Room Group

edexcel alevel English lit predictions 2023

hi! I know there are a few of these already on here but wanted to talk about what you guys might think will come up and share some of my predictions
Drama- streetcar and twelfth night
- predicting one on reality for streetcar (very tentatively) and prob viola as one of the options for twelfth night
Prose- handmaids tale and frankenstein
- this is prob my strongest paper so will be happy on anything but women would be amaze as I got a rlly high mark for that q in my mock
Poetry- poems of the decade and the romantice
- No clue lol but maybe the gun or the Lammas hireling for poems of the decade and hopefully Blake or Keats come up in romantics
Reply 1
i was thinking for streetcar there might be one on Stella or Blanche as there hasn't been a character question in a while and neither Stella or Blanche have been asked about as individual character questions, only about their relationship with one another in 2018, or maybe Mitch could be asked about since he's only shown up in the sample assessment but idrk. or as a theme perhaps isolation, victimisation, anxiety, trauma or reality like you said. i have literally no clue though lol
i don't do any of your other texts apart from the poetry ones, but i agree that either The Gun or The Lammas Hireling since neither of them have come up yet, or History as its only come up once in the specimen papers but not in the real exams. and i think Keats is most likely to come up out of the Romantics since he's not appeared in any of the past papers at all yet i don't think, and maybe Byron as he's only come up twice, once in a specimen paper and then once in the 2021 paper. as for potential questions/themes though i have no idea lol
(edited 11 months ago)
yh for streetcar stella, blanche or their relationship would be great as a character question, Mitch less so lol. I feel like considering reality and illusion are such big themes they have to come up as a question, and all the other ones you mentioned are kind of guiding us to write about blanche. if the gun or Lammas hireling come up I def think it will be surrounding nature but that is a bit broad. and Keats would be great but there aren't too many obvious comparisons to his poems for me.
Original post by _student_23
i was thinking for streetcar there might be one on Stella or Blanche as there hasn't been a character question in a while and neither Stella or Blanche have been asked about as individual character questions, only about their relationship with one another in 2018, or maybe Mitch could be asked about since he's only shown up in the sample assessment but idrk. or as a theme perhaps isolation, victimisation, anxiety, trauma or reality like you said. i have literally no clue though lol
i don't do any of your other texts apart from the poetry ones, but i agree that either The Gun or The Lammas Hireling since neither of them have come up yet, or History as its only come up once in the specimen papers but not in the real exams. and i think Keats is most likely to come up out of the Romantics since he's not appeared in any of the past papers at all yet i don't think, and maybe Byron as he's only come up twice, once in a specimen paper and then once in the 2021 paper. as for potential questions/themes though i have no idea lol
Reply 3
Original post by maja wasielewski
yh for streetcar stella, blanche or their relationship would be great as a character question, Mitch less so lol. I feel like considering reality and illusion are such big themes they have to come up as a question, and all the other ones you mentioned are kind of guiding us to write about blanche. if the gun or Lammas hireling come up I def think it will be surrounding nature but that is a bit broad. and Keats would be great but there aren't too many obvious comparisons to his poems for me.

unfortunately the relationship between Stella and Blanche already came up in 2018 so it's unlikely to come up again, but yeah you're right a lot of the themes point towards Blanche so it's possible this year's question could be on the presentation of Blanche, but idk if the exam board would be that nice this year. there has been an 'illusion vs reality' question for streetcar but it was only a sample assessment so they could do a question on illusion or reality or fantasy or something like that. i agree a question on Mitch would not be great lol
i think questions on either The Gun or Lammas Hireling could be on human nature, masculinity, violence or repression. Lammas Hireling specifically could have a question on the supernatural maybe or the gothic or grotesque?
i've personally found that Shelley is a good one to link with Keats. Keats' 'Ode to a Nightingale' and Shelley's 'Ode to the West Wind' are good ones to write about together as they both have similar themes of human transience, the power/beauty of nature, the immortality/cyclical essence of nature etc, and Keats' 'Ode on a Grecian Urn' has similar sentiments to do with human transience but rather than the immortality of nature it's more about the eternality of art or beauty generally, but that could probably still be compared to Shelley's 'Ode to the West Wind' as well. idk about his other ones though
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
does anyone know what the 2022 romantic poetry questions were? I think one option was on suffering in London by Blake but I cant find what the other option was?
Reply 5
Anyone got any predictions for other topics on Paper 2 and Paper 3?
I do ATTS and Wuthering Heights for prose and Poems of the Decade and Wife of Bath.
Reply 6
Hi, do you know what the 2022 romantics questions were? I cant find them anywhere!

Original post by maja wasielewski
hi! I know there are a few of these already on here but wanted to talk about what you guys might think will come up and share some of my predictions
Drama- streetcar and twelfth night
- predicting one on reality for streetcar (very tentatively) and prob viola as one of the options for twelfth night
Prose- handmaids tale and frankenstein
- this is prob my strongest paper so will be happy on anything but women would be amaze as I got a rlly high mark for that q in my mock
Poetry- poems of the decade and the romantice
- No clue lol but maybe the gun or the Lammas hireling for poems of the decade and hopefully Blake or Keats come up in romantics
Reply 7
Original post by Elisa-ah
Hi, do you know what the 2022 romantics questions were? I cant find them anywhere!

it was 'suffering' for Blake's London and 'the poet's vision' for Shelley's Ode to the West Wind
Reply 8
Original post by _student_23
it was 'suffering' for Blake's London and 'the poet's vision' for Shelley's Ode to the West Wind

Thankyou so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest